What are the best hiking shoes?

SIGarmed

I've got some Danner's in mind. I also want something lighter though. This is for mainly hiking in southern California. What do you think of the leather upper sneaker type hi-tecs? I really want something that lasts but these are good to wear casually everday regardless of terrain. What do you use?

Strange you should mention.
I just today bought a pair of Merrill Summit hikers and am wearing them around the house to get used to them.
Can't wear Hy-Tec, the toes are too pointy for me. I think there are some New Balance of the type, but I wanted Gore-Tex. They will be my rough ground IDPA & IPSC footwear.
I would have looked at Danner, but nobody in my area sells them and I am not willing to buy shoes mailorder.

Best hiking boot?

Best is way too subjective...individual taste and fit...terrain.

La Sportiva Makulu's...good starting point for serious hiking on rocks and rough terrain. Long break-in but worth it. After awhile they fit like gloves. Aggressive soles that fit clamp-on crampons.

I would have to agree on Merrell's....I have 2 pair, and as far as lite hikers, they are awesome. No break in time required and fairly waterproof. I like them very much.

I also have a pair of Salomon (sp?) that are very comfortable also.

SIGarmed, I have a pair of Danner Radical GTX 45s. I finally got the leather conditioner as they look very worn out (broke 'em in at Yosemite when I got 'em 9 months ago, and hop and pop w/ em everywhere). I'll see if the leather conditioner works. AFAIK they are 'imported' now (i.e. made in China).

I still like 'em a lot. I have them in tactical black. I called everywhere in a 50 mile radius, and NO ONE had them in brown, so I hope you don't mind the 'cop boot' look. Police uniform stores should have them, I got mine from Shoe-Teria, there are a few in Socal.

Like guns, it all depends on your intended purpose. They usually range from stiffness from scrambler/sports shoe, light hiker, med, to heavy/trek loads. If you plan on backpacking at all, a stiffer shank would be the way to go. then you need to decide whether you want all leather, or waterproof. I like the ones with Vibram soles.

i like Merrells, Vasque, and many of their offerings span all of the above requirements. I like Timberland for everyday wear, and for the range. As always, try as many on as you can. a good hiking store will have incline boards to test toe fit. buy a 1/2 size too big if you plan on thick hiking socks.

some sites to get you started:

www.rei.com (they have these stores in so cal):
www.campmor.com

What's your typical weight load?

Without that bit of info, nobody but nobody will be able to give you an adequate answer.

...Your BAREFEET!

www.barefooters.org

Seriously, I can run 3-5(maybe more?) miles barefoot on paved road.
I've hiked barefoot alot in desert and mountain country.
I'm sure there are some of you who tramped around barefoot as a kid, remember how good it felt?
The last two big hiking trips I was on I wore; lightweight running shoes(no socks), sandals(Chacos-before they ran up to $80/pair:eek: ), and barefeet.
One trip was carrying a 65lb backpack for eight days in the Kings Canyon area below Yosemite, the other was a 28-day survival trip in Utah.
Boots and shoes definitely have their place, but you'll really strengthen your feet and ankles going barefoot more.

Okay, I'm done preachin' now!;)

Probably a bit more shoe than you're looking for, but Vasque Sundowners are great lightweight low boots, Gore-tex waterproof and ultra comfortable. I'm betting you'll like em.

Danners IF you want American made. If you want custom American made then check out Russel Moccasin Co.
I have both (2 pair of danner). The Russels are for winter hunting (too hot in summer down here)

As others have said..what type hiking ? I buy american 1st whenever I can.

I am an American, Work for an American company SO...why not buy American ?

Thanks for the advice people I've decided on the Danner's.
I like the Danner's and I think I'll definately end up buying more than one pair of boots and Danner will be one of them. I want an Acadia or the Commander type Danner. I've seen the different colored Danner's that they have in the Cabela's catalog and I think they're pretty good. The closest thing I ever had were Matterhorns but I've heard terrific things about Danner's. I'm talking about light hiking with probably no more than twenty pounds on my back, maybe more with a rifle and ammo if I go hunting. I'm probably going to day hike at least five miles if not more.

Had to see it out of curiousity...

WSmac-

Had to go to your link about "barefoot hiking" to satisfy my curiousity. :cool:

I can see what these groups are saying regarding minimized impact on the environment and stuff like that....but a deep, nasty gash on your foot ten miles from civilization could become life-threatening in short order.

Interesting stuff to read on the Internet, though! Enjoy.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Danners are good.
If you want something inexpensive try Landsend lightweight hikers. I purchased a pair last year and they are still going strong. I used them on a month long trip to New Mexico and wear them frequently here in FL. I think they are perfect for warmer climates

Best recommendation for you

is to try on a few pairs of different types of hikers, say from REI or another mountaineering store.

I'm a former mountaineering guide, still climb 14ers extensively in Colorado. I wear Scarpas but these fit my feet. Socks are another big deal. Very important to wear the right combo, liners and socks to fit your needs.

Fit your boots at the END of the day after you feet have 'swollen'. Go to a good bootfitter and get the best your money can afford.

I have a number of mountaineering boots, like others have many guns. To fit different occasions. Get the boot that fits you the best along with the right sock combo. I wear Bridgedales, Smartwools, Fox River x-static, Patagonia liners and the thickness of the sock will determine the sizing of the boot.

Go to outdoorreview.com for more info. Good luck.

The pair that fits your feet.

No really, I know thats really general but, its true. I can expouse about how great Danner's or Vasque's are but, if they don't fit your feet properly, than all the hype and endorsements really mean nothing to you. Don't believe the hype!

Try out as many as possible. Getting good fitting shoes, particularly boots, is the most time consuming process when getting outdoor gear. Its also the most invaluable piece of gear. Companies such as Danner, Vasque, Montrail, Merrill, Lowa, La Sportiva, Timberlane, Asolo...... The list goes on, there are too numerous quality manufacturers out there. Just remember to take the socks you plan to wear with you when you go shopping.

If it'll make your process any easier, when I was searching for plastic mountaineering boots to climb Denali (Mt.McKinley), it took me 4 months of searching.

Didn't see Climb14er's post previous, but, he more or less covered what I said.

Outdoor review is a great on-line resource .

outdoorreview.com

Without knowing where you're from stores such as REI, Marmot Mtn Works, Wilsons Eastside Sports, Nomad Ventures, Sunrise Mtnrg, and Bugaboo Sports will be able to provide knowledgeable assistance.

Thing to look for: Hiking in rock terrain,look for boots with the minimum amount of stitching for durability, With a heavy load & rough terrain, stay away from foam midsole styles(generally sneaker type),They don't offer enough stability/support. If you like light weight uppers, look for one with a rigid midsole. Vasque sundowners are a top choice in light/midweight boots. They have a good grippy outsole,smooth toe with little stitching & a toebox to hold its shape. If you don't mind the weight,Its hard to beat a full grain traditional hiking boot with a norwegian welt & vibram outsole. Danner tends to use a goodyear welt(lighter duty,but tighter waterproof construction). I had a pair of fabianos that lasted over 10 years with multiple resoling!

I used a pair of the new Danner Pronghorn's on a week and a half backpack Elk/Deer hunt, in North-Central Idaho (ie steep). Fit is everything! These boots are light, strong and warm. Good stable design. Check them out.

Back