What are the best hammer-fired conceal carry handguns?

Unfortunately, the P938 only has a magazine capacity of 7? Even the Springfield 1911 Ronin EMP has better capacity.
For many of use, caliber and capacity is way way way down the list of required features; so far down as to be nearly insignificant. While I own, enjoy and shoot quite a few pistols with greater capacity and own, enjoy and shoot handguns that are chambered for .357 and 45acp and 45 Colt and 44 Magnum they simply don't get as much WalkAbout time as my less than ten round single stack pistols or five or six round 22lr, 32S&W (s&l) and 38S&W or 38S&W Special revolvers.

While I love CZ hammer fired pistols for the range, they are not my choice for self defense purposes due to the narrow gripping area of the slide. My preferences are SIG and HK with my P30SK for hammer fired concealed carry.

e4ORbvm.jpg

Here's you friggin' mic drop... If you have to defend you life or a loved one's with a hammer fired handgun, then get a West German or German built Sig P series or any HK hammer fired model.

I'm not answering what is the best, but I can tell you what I've chosen and why.

S&W Model 469... and mine's a very early one, A845xxx serial range, likely 1983 or early 1984.

-WHY- did I pick this? It's my secondary carry. Not my back-up, as I don't carry a BUG. It's the gun that I use for carry when I go to places where carry is prohibited or impossible. Therefore, it is my "primary" carry when my day takes me to places where the gun is forced to be left in the car. So we're talking about school functions with the kids, concerts, sporting events, etc.

If it gets stolen, I'm not out my primary and it didn't cost a heap.

I chose this pistol because I have decades of hands-on experience with S&W 1-2-3rd Gen pistols so the familiarity is absolutely natural for me. I also chose this pistol because it was very low money in a Gunbroker grab.

12+1, alloy frame, DA/SA. Including shipping and my FFL fee, I put this in to my hands for $275, although admittedly, that was more than 7 years ago. The 469 (along with the 669) were the first 2nd Gens that S&W marketed. This pistol is very, very similar to the 6904/6906 series.

It's been a terrific, accurate pistol that has given me zero grief of any manner.

I'll answer the left out answer.

Yes. Mimber aka Kimber does have a terrible reputation. If you go to 1911 Addict, almost anything about Kimber includes the words "hate" in the title :D

Kimber also released the worst 9mm ever in modern history. Unlike other guns with issues, Kimber never could fix their Solo.

Last edited:
Yes. The P2000 is best in class size. 17rd conversion kits fit the 13 round mags to make 15.

Gray guns reset required though. Holy moly are HK P series triggers bad.

GKi5AHum.jpg

Back