What are the Best budget shotguns.

For cheap... Mossburg. Remi 870's are great too but if you look at a newer one you should check the chamber. I've seen several with rough chambers that required polishing to feed smoothly. Probably pretty rare but I've seen 3 that needed it in the last 5 years.

Boomer

Benelli Nova
Browning BPS
Mossberg 590
Mossberg 500

In that order of preference.

Some are not really considered "budget" guns, but the OP asked about price AND quailty.

Store brand guns. Sears, J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, and Revelation are the ones I've got experience with. Only available on the used market of course, but you can get a good gun for not a lot of money with one of them. I've got a couple myself, both from Sears back in the day. One was made by Mossberg, the other by Winchester. I got them years ago, but I see guns like them selling for about $200.00 these days.

Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, Hawk 981/982, NEF Pardner Protector. All less than $300. The NEF can be had for less than $200.

I'm not too much of a shotgun person, but I can tell you that all of the above beats a Remington Express every time. If you're going the Remington route, don't get the Express.

Norinco 982 if you're looking for the cheapest. Most 870 accessories will work for it, but it comes pretty much ready to go. At around $200 it's pretty much a disposable gun. I have one and it's not too bad as a beat-around truck gun for the ranch.

But if you're looking for something to actually use for home defense, I'd upgrade to a Mossberg.

You can find an 870 used for 200 or so all day long. They last forever as long as you don't abuse them. I Have on that is 20 years old and one that is over 30 years old. Have no idea how many rounds have been through the oldest one. I still take it out once a month or so.
Whiskey

I was in my favorite pawn shop the other day, and noticed the long line of pump shotguns, so I asked the fellow about them. Remington and Winchester dominated the line, but there were a few Mossbergs as well. He told me I could have the pick of the litter for $200, and most of them were less than that.

New Mossberg 500 platform, whatever the purpose. Reliable, ergonomic, excellent capacity, thriving aftermarket, UNDERPRICED (except the damn resin safety switch)!

I picked up a nice older Remington Wingmaster 12 guage for $200, added an extended mag and I'm good to go. It doesn't chamber 3" shells but if I can't put the treat down with 8 rounds of 00 buckshot I'm in big trouble.

Last edited:
What about a Weatherby?

I think all these are great choices but I am sold on the Weatherby PA-08! You can pick up one at about the same price as a Mossberg 500 but you get a much, much better gun. After purchasing mine I actually got rid of my Mossberg 500! The weight and balance are phenomenal and the action is way smoother straight out of the box than any other shotgun I have used. :D Either way you go just get the gun that feels and functions right for you. Happy shooting!

I picked up a beater yesterday. It's an old Revelation R310AB, which is a Western Auto Mossberg 500A marketed between the mid 70's and 80's. It has a 28" modified plain barrel with a lot of blue wear and a tad of rust. Bad photo of an ugly old gun...

R310AB_zps911eff16.jpg

What it does do is shoot well and it put 25 #7 1/2 pellets in the 5X of a B21 at 40 yards. Also kept 6 of 9 pellets of Winchester 'military' 00 buck on the silhouette at that distance. It works fine if operated normally but if you rack it really hard, it will double-feed. I'll have to pull it down and tweak the shell catches a bit. I've got $139 I change in it, so I can afford to tinker with it.

Scooped up another one yesterday... well under @$200. It's a late 70's Wingmaster with 30" full choke barrel.

870_Desk_zpse2c01687.jpg

40 yards, Universal 7 1/2 field load and one Olin 00 Buck.

870-40_zps38954085.jpg

Damn I am on a roll. Just scored a new-in-the box 18 1/2" factory 870 barrel with the old bright blue finish, and Improved Cylinder choke, for 75 bucks.

No shipping, just paid the guy and walked off smiling.

Back