what are some interesting new budget models?

I 2nd or 3rd the Sarsilmaz pistols for their quality/value, but they aren't really new. I have a K2P with several thousand rounds through it and it still impresses me. I missed the boat on the Sar K2 45. Everyone is out of stock on them. The Sar K2 45 is a double stack steel frame 45 styled after the CZ75. It was priced under $400 when it was available.

wild cat mccane said:
Ruger changed the finish on the LC9s/LC9 to a black rust finish that is about the lowest level of finish you can get.

Someone will comment on the sights being part of the slide. True. However, the EC9 huge issue is the craptastic finish. And that's saying something as Ruger has horrible black finishes all around.

Fortunately, Ruger now offers the EC9s in Cerakote finish as well for a little bit more money, and Cerakote has a pretty good reputation for durability/corrosion-resistance. The only cases I've ever heard of it failing were from botched DIY jobs by guys who lacked the proper know-how and equipment to properly apply it or otherwise poorly done aftermarket applications by novice gunsmiths. Fortunately, the Cerakote finishes on the EC9s are professionally applied factory finishes.

The only problem is that they don't apply it to the barrel for some reason, just the slide and frame, or in some bizarre cases only the frame, which is pointless considering the frame is made of polymer and aluminum. Oh, and if you really hate Flat Dark Earth and Matte Nickel for some reason, because last time I checked those were the only two colors of Cerakote they offer on their slides.

I have the 98DA and have been looking for a 98DAC.
I haven't had the 98DAC in years or even seen one. I bought it about 8 years ago when I bought it at McSports. They don't exist anymore, and I never seen the gun anywhere else.

The good thing about that gun is that it takes Browning Hi Power mags, which are easy to find.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hello all,
I've been out of the loop for a while so I haven't kept current on new developments in the pistol market. I have a love for trying out budget 9mm pistols in the sub-300 range. is there anything that has come out in the past 2 years that anyone would recommend?

Ruger's Security 9 is interesting, mostly because they've taken Kel Tec's design and scaled it up.

S&W's Shield EZ is interesting, because it's returning to a system we don't see much these days -- shrouded hammer, single action. Price is going to be out of your range, though.

for cheap, Taurus G2C and G2S. With the exception of the crappy rear sight, it looks like they got this one right. Just don't expect to find much aftermarket stuff yet.

I think one of the best deals out there is the Taurus G2C. I picked up a stainless model for about $215 out the door from Rural King last year. With the $30 rebate, I was all in for $185. That gun is awesome. The trigger isn't bad like some people make it out to be. It is just different. I can shoot fist-sized groups at 15 yards with ease.

that is an interesting model indeed, but I doubt I would go for it. it matches possibly my worst dislike of the M&P (the dingus trigger), with what appears to be a more aggressively textured variant of glock pistol grip shape and ergonomics.

Yep.

And those lines look a bit cheap lacking melting.

I'm not discounting clones...but the refinement of originals have never been greater or near that of one case of 9mm.

meh. I imagine it will do okay. I couldn't hold a conversation with someone that believes the PSA at $300 is worth it over a Glock Gen3 new at $399.

:)

Last edited:
Taurus G2C is probably one of the best values out there. I love it.
Not familiar with the Turkish imports, but people seem to be happy with them.
Take a look at the mil. / police surplus. The Israeli police surplus Jericho, not a beauty queen, is a bit over $300.00 but is worth it. Beretta 81 is in your price range, but adding a couple of extra mags. can push the price over the top.
There are good deals on top quality police surplus guns if you do not mind .40s&w (I don't), especially the Glock 27,23,22. They can be easily converted to shoot 9mm and .357 Sig. It will cost more than $300.00, but gives you a top quality, reliable, 3 calibers gun, a huge logistical benefit.

Just bought a Beretta APX Centurion for $329.99 the other day----first rate quality at a budget price.

Might put off another planned purchase and pick up another one if that price holds.

yes

Taurus G3, and In March there will be the PSA DAGR..... Remember PSA DAGR. You can thank me later. Peace.

Back