what are some interesting new budget models?

tahunua001

hello all,
I've been out of the loop for a while so I haven't kept current on new developments in the pistol market. I have a love for trying out budget 9mm pistols in the sub-300 range. is there anything that has come out in the past 2 years that anyone would recommend?

A few, from Bud's Gunshop website:

Ruger EC9S for $198. There are variations of that model.

Ruger Security 9 Compact for $267 and full size model for $277

Not new, but the SW Shield (1.0) for $279

I've included just four, but there are others. You can look at 9mm pistols sorted by price at https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php/type/Handguns/sort/price-asc/caliber/10000837/page/1. I personally would stay away from all the Taurus, Hi-Point, SCCY and others of that ilk. I own a couple of Shields, but mention the Rugers only because of their reputation and reports I have seen.

isn't the ec9s just a renamed LC9S because people couldn't tell the difference with the LC9 and LCP? or are there other design differences?

Ruger changed the finish on the LC9s/LC9 to a black rust finish that is about the lowest level of finish you can get.

Someone will comment on the sights being part of the slide. True. However, the EC9 huge issue is the craptastic finish. And that's saying something as Ruger has horrible black finishes all around.

TP9SF, TP9SF Elite both in the ONE series is one magazine and cardboard box for 275.
$220 gets you a new SAR, but that's not new...

Always the P320. I find it the base budget feel of all the current offerings.... :D

The EC9S has several cost-saving features: fixed sights are milled into the slide; the slide finish is less-expensive black oxide, and; there are fewer serrations on the slide.

I second the CanIk line TP9s... any model depending on your needs/wants. If you like Walthers but don’t like their pricing the the Turkish clones are right up your alley and they shoot amazing. I own 3 and all 3 are just blasters without the crappy stormtroopers attached??????

thanks for the recommendations, keep them coming.
FYI, I have already owned 3 caniks, still hold on to the TP9SF, swapped the sights with my SFX before selling it.

I love Walther.

The PPS M2 is messed up though with barrel peening. Walther knows it. They aren't fixing it, but will give you a new barrel when it finally looks horrible. Pass on the PPS M2. Sorry Walther.

Yep. The Warren back sight on the TP9SF series is built for speed shooting by design. Canik says it's built for speed shooting. It is not built for accuracy.

I hate that a lot.

I was not aware of the peening problems on the PPS, but I have always found walthers overrated so I've never seriously considered one. given the choice between walther and Canik, I tend to feel more comfortable with Canik. even though 2 of my 3 have needed work, Canik and Century's customer support in my experience has been great.

I have always appreciated my poverty pistols as well.

I used to have a bunch of the sub $300 guns.

I think my favorite was my first 9mm handgun, the Arcus 98DAC. I don't think they're commonly available though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sportsman’s Warehouse has had several Ruger SR series versions on sale for $249.99 lately. I bought an SR9 two weeks ago for that fantastic price.

The Canik uses the Walther trigger system that went out of copyright and along came the first Canik TP9 that mimics the Walther P99AS (mimics because it's a copy).

TP9SF copies the PPQ trigger system.

So if you trust Canik, you by default trust Walther.
Also, Canik does not salt treat the metal like Walther. That's worth the cost difference to me.

The TP9SFX is coming in Mod2 soon. So you'll see TP9SFXs going for lower...

I love Walther.

The PPS M2 is messed up though with barrel peening. Walther knows it. They aren't fixing it, but will give you a new barrel when it finally looks horrible. Pass on the PPS M2. Sorry Walther.
The PPS M1 is a fantastic little firearm. I love the paddle mag release. I'm sorry to hear about this issue with the M2.

Back