What are my 7.62x54R choices?

Might want to consider getting a cheap $5 slip on recoil pad :).I'm normally not a wuss or anything, but OUCH! :).A $5 pad makes the m44 a lot more fun to shoot.just my .02 cents though.

Do you think it's a good idea to get the headspace checked before I take it out?

And yeah, I've heard all over that they kick like a mule, so I may get a cheap slip on pad.

This is my first corrosive-shooter, so how long can I go after a good day's shooting before I should clean it? I usually clean my rifles after each outing anyways, but should I rinse the bore prior to leaving the range, or is that obsessive compulsive?

Who imported your weapon? The headspace should be fine. Most of these were checked before refirbishing, and haven't been shot since.

As for corrosive ammo, yes, spray a bit of ammoniated cleaner (Like Windex w/ ammonia) down the bore after you're done for the day. Patch it dry, and wipe the breech-face down with a damp rag using the same mixture. Dry everything, and clean within a couple of hours getting home. Sweet's 7.62 solvent is rated for corrosive salts. Clean thoroughly, lube, and wipe the metal down.:)

Hedley,

I never shoot a Russian mil-surp the first time without some sort of precautions. I have a set of headspace gauges, for 7.62x54... I think of headspace gauges like I think of haynes manuals for vehicals,,, A must have... But,,, I am constantly trading and buying, and selling these old rifles... Some gunsmiths will do it free,,, some for change...

But, I'll PM you with my "before I had Gauges" methods... Can't turn that info loose on the world....... Even if it does work....

I agree with most of JR47's advice about corrosive ammo.. But I would say pour instead of "spray".... Don't get the ammonia on the stock buddy, I know how stoked you get about that wood,, I do too......
railroader is right on the money with the advice about the bayonet getting hit with the primer salt when it's folded out...
Hedley, me and you have never talked about anything but target shooting and mil-surps,, but I have killed three deer with this one, as-is, with the 90 year old iron sights...It's the same one from the hex reciever pic above...

I paid $60.00 for it.... But it was a while ago..........
finnmosin01001os8.jpg

Who imported your weapon? The headspace should be fine. Most of these were checked before refirbishing, and haven't been shot since.
Not really sure. The price tag reads "Century M44" in handwriting, but it doesn't have the usual CIA electropenciling on the receiver. It does have a serial number electropenciled on the left of the receiver(not same as matching #'s), and "TGI KNOX TN M44 762X44 RUSSIA" in small letters on the left of the front sight sleeve.

Hey Hedley, nice find bud. I don't think you gotta worry about headspace since the cartridge itself is rimmed, therefore headspaces on the rim, unlike rimless cartridges which headspace on the case shoulder.

Now, stock up on cheap ammo and come down to SA so we can go shooting!!!!

I'll dust off my Fin and couple of Ruskies.... :):)

Anyone have advice for opening those ammo cans? The "opener" included with mine shattered almost immediately. The process I used to open the first of two cans was ugly, and I would rather not repeat it ;)

Invest in a good quality can opener and it can usually go through. Something like professional cooks use to get through those massive thick cans. You could also rig up a new key. I heard you can get good use out of using a key with no handle attached to a cordless drill but I never tried that before personally.

Hedley, you bugger, did you go out and buy the only non-cai marked mosin in TX?....

I have one I bought in 1997 that is marked CAI St.ALb,VT all the way at the end of the barrel, just to the right of the front sight.... Had it for almost 10 years....

Hedley, you got a Knox Guns import. I don't know if they're still importing, but there's alot of Soviet stuff running around that has their stamp. Other importers I can recall are Century, KBI, and Aztec. Aztec's stuff was generally of higher quality that other importers, but I don't think they're in business anymore.

If your stock has splices, I've be interested in seeing closeups. Some of the stock splices are uncommon. One of my 91/30s has a thin stock compared to some, and it spliced near where barrel meets receiver.

If you ever get to buy an original crate of 7.62x54R, most of them come with a spam can opener. The quality of the opener will depend on who manufactured the ammo. I have two Russian made ones that I use to open all the tins, and they've held up well.

Attachments

• 2341.jpg
    2341.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 48
Nice Grimjaw. My stock isn't as intricate as yours, but as soon as I get a chance, I'll post some pics. It has the typcal toe splice, and a few rectanuglar inserts, one near the end of the bayo groove(hidden by the tip when folded in), and one near the front of the stock.

Alright here it is. I finally have something to annoy those .300 ported WinMag guys at my indoor range. This thing is a flat out hootenany! I never thought a boltgun could be so fun. It's obnoxiously loud, kicks like a mule, and spews seven foot fireballs. I seriously thought the indoor range officer was going to ask me to leave. And at about $.08 a shot, it's the cheapest centerfire rifle cartridge I think there is. Even with a near 1" stepcrown and a frosty barrel, it's still pretty accurate, yielding me about 3" groups at 50 yards with the bayo extended. I had a few fliers due to a couple of flinches, and I knew I missed the target a few times when I concentrated on the muzzle blast rather than the sights.

Stock Repairs:
img2051ar5.jpg

img2052qg3.jpg

Holy counterbore Batman!
img2058kd1.jpg

Awesome! Sounds like you went to Red's. That's where I go, the north store. My Mosin is loud in that place too. I like to go right before deer season when all the deer hunters are sighting in for the year, and break out my SKS and Mosins', and sometimes the AK. I get lots of funny looks. I have plenty of bolt guns with scopes too, but it's just more fun shooting the milsurps.

If you want to look at some more milsurps, stop by Advanced Armaments - The Cutting Edge in Round Rock. Another hole in the wall shop with M44's, M38's, SKS, and AK's sometimes. The owner is a little cantankerous and not real helpful, but, I have seen some really good deals on SKS and Mosins in there. He had a Polish M44 a while back that was beautiful, for $125, and several Chinese Paratrooper SKS's for $185 - $200. They're gone now, but you never know what will be in that shop.

Yeah, I'm forced to go to Red's since the time changed. I used to be able to head out to Manor after work for a good 45 minute session, but since it's dark when I get off now, I have to fork over more money to play in the indoor range. The Red's north is about 10 minutes from my shop and at least it has a freindly staff.

One comment I saw somewhere on a forum: the owner said whenever he started out firing his M44 at a range, he quickly noticed every OTHER shooter was looking at HIM. Fun to have an occasional attention-grabber.....

Hello all,
Guess I'll break my cherry on this thread. I have a CAI 91/30 and had all the gear with it. I got it in MI back in 2010 I think. I heard that they were packed in cosmoline and didn't know about the sticky bolt issue. I cleaned it before I fired it but didn't mind about the cosmo. So I have fired about 30-40 Czech rounds through it. I clean the guns after each range time. So I'm wondering if I set any cosmo that could have been left behind. I just cleaned with Hoppes #9 and a 20ga. brush on a drill about three times. After that I tried spent cartridge in the chamber to check the bolt. Still sticky. But I think I'll look for a local gunsmith to see if I did anything wrong. Bolt works fine with no cartridge. Anyway, do any of you know if Tula ammo is better than the old Czech rounds? Thanks,
Troy Lawson

Back