What AR round should I try next? Bigger than 5.56.

I’ve built and owned many AR’s in 5.56, .300, and 6.8. I finally built an aero M5 pattern AR 10 a few years back and that thing is amazing. If I could do it all over again I’d probably just own one each of a really nice 5.56 and .308. The performance difference for hunting is super noticeable, the .308 just anchors animals every time.

> 6.8 SPC

I'm going to vote for that one. Starline stocks brass for it, and there are still companies that load complete ammo.

The 6.8 is very close to the British 7mm Enfield "intermediate" cartridge that the Brits put a lot of work (including testing in actual combat) into. It was supposed to be a joint US/British thing, until the US Army announced they wouldn't even consider anything with less power than the .30-06 and the whole deal fell apart.

The 6.8 has decent ballistics, light recoil, and is good for medium game.

Another option would be the 6mm/.223 or 6x45. That's a wildcatted version of the .223 Remington. It was a popular bench rest cartridge for a while. The US Army tested it as a replacement for a 5.56x45. It was better in almost every test, but not better enough to make it worthwhile to change. (the same reason the .60 BMG was never adopted)

More recently, it has been extremely popular as a target cartridge in the Phillippines. There's also an impressive selection of appropriate target and hunting bullets in 6mm, and brass is dirt cheap.

Downside: might not be different enough from 5.56 to be worth your while, and I don't see any barrels for it out there, so you'd have to add "buy a reamer" and "profile a barrel blank" to the other costs of going to that caliber.

I am quite partial to the 6.5 Grendel, it's become my go-to deer rifle. same basic ballistics at the muzzle as 7.62x39 but much flatter shooting making it pretty effective out to 200 yards and beyond. wolf/WPA used to do some pretty cheap ammo runs for it but now with russian ammo being impossible to find that's done for but the other day I think I recall seeing a sale on some fiocchi ammo in 6.5G. it's not cheap, probably about on part with 308 but unless you're thinking of dropping down to a 9mm carbine you're not going to really find anything that's cheaper than 70 cents a round at the moment.

not to knock the 9mm AR15 though, that's my favorite plinker overall, it gets used even more than my 22s.

edit
and just in case you're entertaining all the recommendations for 308.
AR10s are WAY heavier than AR15s and 308 ballistics are pretty terrible out of 16 inch barrels. hope you like 12 pound guns that barely outperform 7.62x39mm.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/308win-barrel-length/470822

The .308 Win is still a powerful round at 16" and saying that it's no better than a x39 is false info. That and a Ruger SFAR only weighs 6.8 pounds with a 16" barrel.
https://ruger.com/products/sfar/specSheets/5610.html

Even the S&W 20" barrel .308 AR, is only 8 pounds, moving up to an SR-25, it only weighs 10.5 pounds.

And the .308 still outclasses the 6.5 Grendel https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/6-5-grendel-vs-308/#google_vignette

built a 6arc a year ago...total B.A.M.F. The biggest challenge I had was ammo, brass specifically...but easy enough to resize from 6.5 grendel. Plus, hornandy just announced (in october) a 87gr high-expansion varmint bullet. Going to have to find something use use my 108's so we have some empty brass.

Between my brother and I we have AR's in 22LR, 204 Ruger, 5,56, 22 ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 300BO, and 300 HAM'R.
The 6 ARC is not bad, and a 6.8 has some good points also.
A buddy has a 350 Legend.

No real wrong answers. Cost of ammunition can be a factor to consider. I reload, so Brass is my main concern. Availability of ammunition is also a consideration. I prefer the 300 HAM'R over the 300 BO. Lots of options to consider. Decide what meets your needs best.

Bob R

Primer price has become paramount. I have been avoiding 7.62x39 as most brass require LRP. 6 arc doesn't, so I ordered a barrel. I plan to convert brass from 6.5mm Grendel.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I plan to convert brass from 6.5mm Grendel.
I made my ARC brass from grendel brass--the biggest problem is figuring out how to segregate it from your Grendel brass if you still have Grendel chambered rifles.:rolleyes:

Changing the "G" in "Grendel" to "6" on the head stamp with electric pencil will do it.

6rendel

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To make matters even more confusing--I also have a 6mm Predator by ARP--which is also based on the Grendel. Hornady strangely came out with the ARC right about the time the predator went bye-bye.:)

I have a 6.5 Grendel, 300 HAM'R, and 450 Bushmaster. If you're including vermin, Grendel is the ticket. The main thing about the 450 is hogs don't run off after a chest shot. Puts the STANK on 'em.

Back