What ammo shortage?

I just walked out of my local Scheels (Eden Prairie,MN).
They had 800 rd boxes of Federal 40 gr. 22's @ 49.00/bx. 100 rd. boxes of CCI @$10/bx.
Lots of aluminum cased 9mm that I didn't look at but the clerk said it was under $20/bx.
Lots of 5.56 that I didn't price but that Store has been very fair priced all through the Chinese virus event.
Two weeks ago they had SSP @ $3.49/hundred with a 200 max per sale. Most common powders @ $25 or less.

Stuff is out there if you are in the right place at the right time.

Side note, Last week a different LGS had a lot of 100 rd. boxes of brass cased 9MM @$39.99/bx and it took them four days to sell out.

Yes, all I took were some 22's. I reload and have all the supplies I will ever need as I have been through this crap many times in my long life.
I love and hate aluminum cased. its inexpensive and shoots just fine, but you cant reload it. Makes me feel wasteful....

Naperville, IL - Just went to the range today (Shoot Point Blank) and they had plenty of 9/45 and other calibers. 9mm was double pre-panic prices, 45 was about 25% higher. Looked like reman ammo, a brand I never heard of in generic looking boxes. They did have some Federal for a few bucks more in each caliber.

The place was packed and I got lots of extra .45 cases. I was the only one picking up brass. 1 guy asked me why I bothered since there's no primers available. I smiled, then he had a chance to rethink his thought. Also, even if I didn't have any primers, why wouldn't I pick up the cases? And for .45ACP, large or small primer cases, you don't know what'll be available or when. I'm not a case snob :).

I thought this was going to be a casting/reloading thread from a guy that is well stocked from buying in times of low prices. Oh well, yawn. Off to shoot my 9mm that I made for $.06 per round. Learn to cast and reload gents.

Makes me appreciate the fact that handloading insulates me from this insanity just a bit .....

Maybe, a bit, but only if you can still find the component materials, which many reloaderes are complaining about just as much as people trying to buy ammo right now.

We will know that the huge "Ammo Anxiety Balloon" is deflating and descending at 500 fpm (on the IVSI)...... when the same twenty (20) or so "ammo flippers" no longer line up for our Academy's opening time every Mon., Wed., and Friday.

The Academy Gun Dept. Manager told me about those guys, and which days ammo is usually delivered.

So glad to have saved up plenty of ammo for retirement and once again, be entertained by the people running around in circles. The only question since late 2008 was When would the next always-unplanned panic begin, not "will it happen again".

Erno86: Thanks. I sent the that same link (on TheHighRoad) to six buddies.

Last edited:
Back