What ammo shortage?

Commander47

Inactive
Well, it would appear to me that the ammo shortage is easing up.

We now have plenty around here. In fact, one store has literally pallets of .380 on the floor. As much as you want without price gouging. I've been whiniing about .380 for a while now. My daughters and grand daughters love this stuff. $34 for a box of 50, or you can buy cases of the stuff.

Also, the 9mm, and .45 auto is plentiful.

Went down to my gun range Saturday, and they have lots of .38 special. In fact they have LE only .38 special, and ball for us normal folk. $60.00 a hundred.

Reloading supplies are still in short supply. No .45 ACP bullets to be had, No alliance Bullseys powder, and still no primers.

But ammo is reasonably priced and seems to be getting back in the system.

Last night i was on the Gun Broker site Looking at ammo prices . I found a lot for sale (i need none) it was 9mm a box of 50 $100 bucks plus shipping .
The sad part was it was a dealer that sells a bunch of firearms also .

REMEMBER the People doing this .

I just heard from a friend in SLC that she sees plenty of 380, 22LR and about any rifle hunting ammo you could need. She didn't say what prices are, but at least she's seeing something on the shelf.

Commander - Those prices are too high. Good that you're seeing ammo on the shelf, but I think the high price is why it's still there. I take that as a good sign as the beginning of the delicate supply vs demand process builds more supply, hopefully, those prices will start coming down too.

I agree the prices are still high, but moving in the right direction.

Just two weeks ago .380 was over $50 a box at the gun shows!!!

.38 was going for $55.00!!!!!!

At least it seems to be coming down, but I agree, still pricey.

I'm really curious to see what the prices are at the ATlanta gun show this weekend.

Reloading supplies have entered the land of make believe.

I want to see if vendors are buying up the big chain stores and upping the prices.

I've received a few ammo-back-in-stock emails from Target Sports this morning.

Still lots of .308 and some 9mm and 7.62x39 available.
Yesterday they had a fair amount of .22 but that appears gone at this time.

Seanc, Where in SLC did your friend find the ammo? I was down there today and would go back to find some ammo.

What a joke! There is still a shortage. Go to a gun show and you won't find anything cheap. My local gun store doesn't even have any of the 9mm or 45 acp for sale. If and when he gets it in, it is allocated for his range so he can still make money on his shooting range.
The person who started this thread must be new to shooting or he has more cents than sense.

I was in one of our local gun shops and they were swarmed with people. I didn’t realize they had just received a pallet of 9mm Blazer Brass with a limit of three boxes per person, $21.00 a box. I was their on the hunt for .38spl and .357mag brass, when an employee handed me 3 boxes of 9mm. I asked him if he was just giving these to me as a gift because I will not pay $20 for a box of 9. He just laughed and said he wouldn’t either.

Ammo on pallets? Sounds like Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna. They always seem to have ammo when everyone else is out. I get down that way a few times a year and even during the shortages they've always seemed to have at least a little of the common cartridges in stock.

Last time I was in there I wouldn't pay their prices though

Pallets of ammo huh? Certainly not where I live. Talked to a LGS the other day that I have known for years. There main concern is staying afloat. Just yearly memberships to the range alone is hurting them. Seems no one wants to buy a yearly membership when they do not have any ammo, go figure. If a person wants to shoot one box of ammo then the hourly range fee combined is insane.
People here are bragging that there is no ammo shortage and happy to pay 4 to 5 times as much. They live in a different world than I do. A box of 50 rds is nothing and goes dang fast at the range. I wonder how many times these folks actually go to the range when things are normal? Once a year? I use to shoot at a very minimum of 200 rds per week of 9mm alone. Do the math on that one at current prices IF you could even find the ammo.
I really hope these small Mom and Pop Lgs's, survive. For sure many will not.

Last edited:
LOL, our local Academy gets ammo several times a week. There is a line outside every morning. Doors open and line goes around to ammo section where you can ask the Ammo Lord if he has what you are looking for and if so, you may get 3 boxes per caliber. Saw the line this morning while running errands this morning.

High prices means ammo is available for those who truly need it and not for folks looking to scarf up another two year's worth. Prices will remain high for a while as Covid and Biden will make sure of it.

I went though our local BiMart store where I usually get most of my reloading supplies and they had a sign with a long list of all the calibers they're out of. The strange thing is there wasn't one box of shotgun ammo to be found.

I have pretty close to a life time supply of shotgun ammo and I'm considering setting up my shot shell loader just to get it out of the box it's been hiding in for the past 25 or so years since I last used it.

Tony

Swung by a shop yesterday, 100rnd bricks of 9mm for $39.99. Not great but the best price I have seen in a while. With that said I am hand loading for a lot cheaper! Yes thins are odd right now, but you an still find stuff. scored 1000 small pistol primers for $60, 300 124g XTP bullets for $22.99 per 100, 1lb of power pistol for 32, and 1 pound of CFE223 for 31. They also had 9mm bullets, 115g speer round nose 500 for $70. Just ordered 1000 coated led bullets from missouri bullet company for around $86. Granted its a 10-12 week ship time, but I have plenty to keep shooting while I wait for my order to come in.

I just walked out of my local Scheels (Eden Prairie,MN).
They had 800 rd boxes of Federal 40 gr. 22's @ 49.00/bx. 100 rd. boxes of CCI @$10/bx.
Lots of aluminum cased 9mm that I didn't look at but the clerk said it was under $20/bx.
Lots of 5.56 that I didn't price but that Store has been very fair priced all through the Chinese virus event.
Two weeks ago they had SSP @ $3.49/hundred with a 200 max per sale. Most common powders @ $25 or less.

Stuff is out there if you are in the right place at the right time.

Side note, Last week a different LGS had a lot of 100 rd. boxes of brass cased 9MM @$39.99/bx and it took them four days to sell out.

Yes, all I took were some 22's. I reload and have all the supplies I will ever need as I have been through this crap many times in my long life.

Back