What am I doing wrong? (dry firing/flinching)

Try this

You can't flinch if you have two sight pictures for each shot. The first one and another one when the gun recovers from recoil. Try this when shooting multiple targets. With the DA SIG, the first DA shot is the hardest. Make sure you have a sight picture when the trigger comes forward to reset, and then shoot immediately, or move to the next target. You can do it faster than you think. Also, I've come to like the 8lb. trigger pulls on my Glock pistols. Two with NY1 triggers, and one with an eight lb. connector. Didn't at first. :)

Last edited:
One more thing

I should mention that most of us probably do flinch in a way. Flinching before the shot is bad---that's really flinching. However, anticipating the shot and exerting pressure forward isn't a good thing, but since it is timed to meet the recoil, it doesn't affect our shooting. Of course, if we do that on an empty chamber, it looks as though we're flinching terribly, as we push the gun forward to meet that recoil that isn't there. I've quit worrying about it. Flinch before the shot, or fail to follow through (especially with that first DA shot), and your shot can go low--perhaps very low. So keep gun on target 'till that trigger resets.!! :D

i have hade to use the relvolver idea but i also had a trigger job done to drop the pull pressure. one or both of them seemed to help quite a bit. I can now shoot my 480 ruger fairly accurate now.

Lower left shot placement

Some excellent postings so far. We used the pencil trick in the academy. It's particularly veluable to verify consistent sight picture.
From you comment about your instructors I'm guessing you are tightening up too much with your fingers as you pull the trigger. I've only shot my son-in-laws Glock but I can see where the trigger stack up (similar to a Colt revolver) could be causing you to tighten up with the fingers also.
Check out the "Target Analysis" at Makarov.com and see if the problems fit your shooting style.
You usually won't go too wrong if you treat your gun like you're holding a bird. Firm enough so it cant get away, but don't squeeze the life out of it.

Last edited:
Back