What alternative can i use instead of purchasing an ingot mold?

I got some of the cheap metal muffin pans (not teflon) for $2 each. I scuffed them up with some sandpaper, dipped them in saltwater and let them sit outside for a week. They developed a nice coating of rust. I then sprayed them with some graphite spray. The ingots drop right out of them. 5 of them will just about empty my smelting pot.

I also made some from angle iron that work ok. My latest experiment was a stainless mud pan from lowes. I put a piece of angle iron in it as a divider. it makes 2 5lb ingots when you pour about an inch deep.

Here's a variety of ingot molds I used to re-claim range lead. The big muffin tin is steel, but NOT tin plated steel. That's where the problem arrises, the tin plated steel tins solder the lead right to the steel. Hard to see at the bottom of the pic is 2 teflon coated aluminum muffin tins. They worked great, but I suspect they may have fumed when we first filled them with hot lead. Nobody died----hack/caff/gag!:eek: That was 2 years ago, so it looks like we survived

P4110008.JPG

The mold at the lower right corner is one my buddy made from channel iron scrap. It makes a 5 pound ingot that still fits into my lee 20 pounder.

P3270144.JPG

I wish he had made 4 of them!

Hello snuffy,
Can you give rough deminsions of that mold your buddy made? The channel iron one. How wide, long and deep are the cavities to make a 5lb ingot?
My brother is a welder and I copy pic and if I can get the specs I'm sure a 12 pack will get me a couple of them made.
Thanks
Roger

Roger, the ingot measures 4-½ long by 2-½ wide on TOP by 1" thick, on the bottom it's 2 X 4 inches. It's made from 2 inch ship & car channel. The ends taper in at about 15 degrees for good release of the ingot. Completely full, it weighs 5 pounds.

Back