What about neck sizing only

All that said.....neck sizing is a good rabbit hold to chase down to try something that might improve things for you.

I would remind you there are 3 kinds of improvements.....what shows up on target consistently, what shows up dimensionally consistently, what feels like a better way.

Your job as a tester is to avoid adding stuff that just feels better.

After I learned to set up FL dies properly (I.e. not how Lee dies call for in the instructions), I’ve noticed no accuracy gains from neck sizing.

What do you mean properly? All I have is a Lee Turret Pres and have followed their instructions. Thanks.

What do you mean properly? All I have is a Lee Turret Pres and have followed their instructions. Thanks.
had a friend recommend the lee collet neck size. He said the trick was to rotate the casing 90 degrees and size the neck a second time. never did try it. I'm sticking with FL sizing.

After I learned to set up FL dies properly (I.e. not how Lee dies call for in the instructions), I’ve noticed no accuracy gains from neck sizing.

What do you mean properly? All I have is a Lee Turret Pres and have followed their instructions. Just getting into rifle reloading. Thanks.

What do you mean properly? All I have is a Lee Turret Pres and have followed their instructions. Just getting into rifle reloading. Thanks.
Just remember, the neck sizer is ONLY for casings that have been fired in your rifle, and should only be shot in that rifle, not others. Also neck sizing generally should not be used in semi automatic rifles.

Didn’t they become annealed when annealing necks & shoulders?
Yes, I think they will.

I should have said I've never annealed any part of a case. My full length sizing dies have their necks honed out to a couple thousandths less than the loaded round's neck diameter so I don't have to use the expander ball. The necks are not work hardened.

Last edited:
I necked sized 20 Remington cases caliber 338 win mag after first full length resizing them, I loaded 2 grains below max got 24 reloads out of that Brass with NO PROBLEMS tossed them after 24 loading got scared.
I use the same die only put a .015 washer under the Die that can be bought at any auto parts their called valve spring washer's.

I necked sized 20 Remington cases caliber 338 win mag after first full length resizing them, I loaded 2 grains below max got 24 reloads out of that Brass with NO PROBLEMS tossed them after 24 loading got scared.
I use the same die only put a .015 washer under the Die that can be bought at any auto parts their called valve spring washer's.
Did the resized cases from the full length sizing die atop the washer chamber easy?

Back