What About My Hi-Power?

Here's my BHP Practical 9mm, two-tone as presented by FN...initially, I wasn't a fan of the factory chromed frame, nor the flat black slide, but it's been carried for years in KY's humid summers with nary a problem nor blemish. I'd guess you could get those kind of finishes, for a fraction of the cost of a deep blue. For a carry gun I can't think of a better combination. YMMv Rod

My MK II Hi Power is totally stock and shoots fine just the way it is. I’d like to do a set of sights and a trigger job when I get around to it. The parkerized finish is fine the way it is.

Last edited:
On my MK III .40, the trigger was gritty and required between 8 and 9.5lbs of pull to 'break' and have the hammer drop. Unacceptable for single action for me.

I changed the trigger, safety, sear, hammer and springs- and did some tuning/tweaking as I set it up. Now it feels very nice, has no overtravel is smooth and lighter than original, [around 5.5-6lbs pull] with crisp break, and no way to get rid of the long reset that I can see.

I spent a few hundred for all of the parts, including stones to dress/fit parts. I am happy with it.

On my 1957 FN 35, made for Austria's Landes gendarmerie kommando [rural police force], the trigger is smoother and lighter, with the same reset- and I didn't touch the internals.

So- the older ones seem to have been better fitted than the newer ones. I never felt a Mark III factory trigger that I liked, but all the ones I felt were from after 1996, and I only tried about a dozen out of all of those produced.

Some are very nice with no changes. Some need a change for me to be content with it.

Once dialed in, they are very very nice. If the reset wasn't so long I would probably prefer them to the 1911.

Doyle’s Gunshop 401 Ellis Ln Plummer Idaho ask for a “service blue” with minimal polishing, he has been trying to retire for the past five years. Mel has blued just about every day for over fifty years, he has done several Mk II and III Israeli imports for me that are beautiful.

Back