What about a firearm locked in a vehicle at a VA medical facility?

VA Connecticut has a Police Service. Our officers conduct patrols of the Newington and West Haven campus both inside the buildings and in the parking lots. In case of an emergency, dial 203-932-5711 extension 4900 (West Haven) or 860-667-6707(Newington). Report all suspicious or criminal activity, vehicle accidents, and personal property losses to the VA Police as soon as possible while on the facility grounds.

Because the VA Medical Center is federal property, all persons and bags are subject to search. In addition, no weapons, alcohol, or illegal drugs are permitted.

Info on Connecticut VA facilities. Last time I went to the Newington facility, they figured out I had a gun when I got inside. It was a tad bit confusing for a bit, but we sorted everything out. I went back out and left it in the car. No problem with that.

Look into the statute concerning firearms in your state. In florida, a new law is being passed, that as long as your car is legally parked, your firearm can be in it.

Spats McGee said:
Edited to add:
(13) Weapons and explosives. No person while on property shall carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, except for official purposes.

38 C.F.R. § 1.218
Looks like they certainly do have the authority. Scrap my idea, then.
But this regulation clearly says "shall not carry." How do we determine if "transporting" an unloaded firearm in a closed container (not on the person) falls within the applicable definition of "carry"?

Good question. Subsection 37 makes "possession of firearms, carried either
openly or concealed, whether loaded or unloaded (except by Federal or State law enforcement officers on official business," punishable by $500. If I were the VA's lawyers, I'd certainly argue that having a gun in the car = possession.

And if I were defending a person charged under that regulation, I would certainly argue that a firearm in a locked case in a car in the parking lot is not "carried," openly or concealed.

As I've commented before, I can't afford to become the test case.

firearms at the VA

Here in CT, The VA Facility in Newington clearly posts no firearms or weapons of any kind allowed on the premises.

Aguila Blanca said:
And if I were defending a person charged under that regulation, I would certainly argue that a firearm in a locked case in a car in the parking lot is not "carried," openly or concealed.
Except that the penalties section includes "possession." If you have cocaine in your car, you're in possession of cocaine. If you have a gun in your car, you're in possession.

Aguila Blanca said:
As I've commented before, I can't afford to become the test case.
Yeah, me needah, too.

Look into the statute concerning firearms in your state. In florida, a new law is being passed, that as long as your car is legally parked, your firearm can be in it.
Except that no state statute can alter or modify federal law, codes, or regulations (unless the feds have specifically authorized it).

TexasJustice7 said:
(13) Weapons and explosives. No person while on property shall carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, except for official purposes.
38 C.F.R. § 1.218
Spats McGee already cited that. But ...

If that's the regulation on which they are basing their denial of the RKBA, why do the signs at my VA hospital cite a different section of Federal law?

Back