What about 22 magnum?

skeeter skelton on the .22 magnum:

Some day we will have a pocket automatic in .22 mrf caliber, and it will be the most effective hideaway gun ever made. Difficulties are being encountered by high chamber pressures and case head separation during extraction when this cartridge is used in conventional semi-automatic systems. Our arms designers have licked tougher problems than this, and I’m betting they’ll beat this one.
- Shooting times magazine, march 1967

the most practical addition to the battery of hunting handgunners in the last ten years has been the revolver chambered for the .22 wmr round. This tiny cartridge, in its hollowpoint version, does a superb job on anything from coons to coyotes, confined to reasonable handgun ranges. At fewer than 50 yards, it is so destructive on rabbit-sized game as to be a little gruesome, and is the frequent choice of professional predator control hunters after big cats and bears.

Smith & wesson, colt, and ruger all make excellent revolvers in the .22 magnum caliber. When loaded with the full jacketed version of this slug, the .22 magnum is a fine killer of table game up through wild turkeys. It should not be overlooked by any serious handgun hunters.
- 6-guns & varmints by skeeter skelton shooting times magazine june 1967

just bought a 22 mag ruger lcr for my wife, it rocks the mantarget way more than a 22 long rifle. it wont be a plinking gun so wont worry about the cost of the ammo. it will do as it supposted to do, a low recoil gun with a nasty entry wound if the need ever comes, shot from the hands of a women. i like the gun and the caliber.

Back