What 44 Mag revolver do you suggest?

".....but the M69 can definitely handle the horsepower."

Short term anyway. Long term I wouldn't expect it to last as long as an N frame. Which doesn't last as long as a Ruger.

I'd guess the same. Which works just fine for me. Most of the time I shoot 240 grain factory-power level loads or .44 spl power level loads through it.

If you're not set on a .44 mag, you could look at the 3 inch or 4.2 inch ruger sp101 in .357 mag. Great durable revolvers and not as much weight. Theres also a GP100 now in .44 special w/ 3 inch barrel.

Single Seven in barrel length of choice, or SP101 in .327. My three .327 Federals have taken the place of the .22s, .38s, .357s, .44s and .45s in my safe, that I used to shoot a lot. Seriously considering selling everything but the .327s (and a 38-55 for that elk that gets closest to the truck). It has proven to be a do-all round in my neck of the desert.

I prefer a 6" steel gun... which is why I will never sell my 6" 629-1. Has sentimental value way higher than its regular value.

ituzga5.jpg

Is the Alaskan the only Ruger the OP is willing to consider in .44Mag?

The reason being the 4" Redhawk. It's only 2oz heavier than the .44 Alaskan so no great burden but can tame a bit more recoil, will have the longer sight radius and the barrel length gives 2" more of acceleration for the projectile.

It is a very good package, IMO.

(But then I'm biased: it's my favourite handgun!)

Oh, so you want us to provide an excuse for you to buy another gun? I don't think your collection is complete without the 5" SW629 Classic. Then you won't need any of the others.

I'll sort of mirror Mr. Pond's comments. I see no single actions in your mix, so I'' throw this out there just for poops and giggles: Virginian Dragoon.

Why? I dunno.

I have a Virginian Dragoon, 6 ", blued. Good shooter. One caveat,spare parts are practically non-existent. Also some of the early ones had accuracy problems due to oversized throats. Also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk-Old Model.
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Dan Wesson.

Scewball , I like your choice !
My old M29 6.5" has seen lots of service as a target gun , metallic silhouette ,and deer . Pachmyer grips fit my hand well . Smooth 3/8" combat trigger excellent for both along with a 1/2" target hammer.
For target we all found that the red insert really GLOWS so the hold between in the sun or in the shade was 2 clicks at 50 yds difference . We ditched the red. The only other sight for me would be a three dot system which is on my combat guns. A fine old companion ! :D

carry

If your actually going to "carry" it, by walking about over more than short distances, I believe you will find the longer barreled, large frame revolvers cumbersome eventually. If not now, say in 10-15 yrs for sure. If you are going via horse or ATV, well that's different..........

The Mtn Guns/Mtn Revolvers came to mind, and the new short barreled 5-shot .44 from S&W seemed likely candidates.

Back