What 44 Mag revolver do you suggest?

CDR_Glock

I have a 7.5" 629 Hunter 44 Mag. I just intend to carry this on my Property or a backup when hunting, when I don't feel like carrying my 454 Casull Ruger Alaskan....

What do you recommend? Obviously, it is not for SD. Should I get an Alaskan 44 or some other S&W 44 revolver? I'm also open to not getting anything.

I'm just in the contemplation phase. I have a few revolvers of various sizes already. I'm a reloader, too.

3a0fac1803eb6b2e6f99e9b7b285915f.jpg

f55c34a7c5679c7b3968942ecff23a82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I like my 4" Anaconda, but you know that situation. How do you like the K6?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd go with a 329PD 4" you'll never know your carrying it it's so light in comparison. I originally bought it to take the place of my 629-3 that weighs about 48 oz in a chest holster when I ride the XR650. The 329PD has a TI cylinder which I like and only weighs 25.2oz. Big difference. So much I wound up making it my EDC. I carry it loaded with full house 240g white box. Recoil is pretty brutal but its not a shoot all the time gun for me. But carrying it is also an insurance policy in my mind, no matter what comes along I have the situation covered.

I like my 4" 29. You need a nicely blued revolver.

I'll second the 29 recommendation. I have a 6-1/2" Classic that I love. I do hate the lock though.....

I'd go with the 4" if I was gonna carry it more than just hunting.

I have and carry pretty regularly my Smith and Wesson 629-5, 4" Mountain Gun in .44mag. It's my go to for hunting and carrying while in the mountains, which is alot. It's something like 2oz lighter than a normal 629 because of the tapered barrel. While hunting it sits comfortably in a Diamond D Leather Guides Choice chest holster or during the winter months I even conceal it under a jacket in a Michael Kole #5 leather hip holster. For me the weight isn't an issue and neither is the recoil.

2nd or 3rd for the new 2.75" L frame Smith.

I'd go all out though and "Fitz" it (Yeah, I know Fitz was Colt, but...)

The 329pd is my choice for backup carry in the field. I carry it with hard cast polymer coated lead 240 gr. And know that should i need it I wont be concerned about recoil. But because of its light weight I ALWAYS have it with me in a cross draw holster.

For just carrying around the ranch I would suggest the Ruger Redhawk with a six inch barrel. If you want a bit of nostalgia there is the Blackhawk and if you want a big gun there is the Super Redhawk. Ruger has you covered with 44s in all sizes.

From the pix, it looks like you have way more than you need already. But I would go with a single-action Vaquero or Super Blackhawk. If you don't already have a 22 rimfire in the mix, that would be where you'd be lacking.

All those revolvers and you don't have one that suits your need? Come on, you want one because you want another one.

Anyway, I agree with the S&W 329PD. It's only 25 oz.

I'd suggest spending money on grips. Try a pair of Roper stocks from Herretts and you'll get rid of all that rubber crap.

For just carrying around the ranch I would suggest the Ruger Redhawk with a six inch barrel. If you want a bit of nostalgia there is the Blackhawk and if you want a big gun there is the Super Redhawk. Ruger has you covered with 44s in all sizes.
The Redhawk has never been made with a 6" barrel and the Super is the exact same size.

Doesn't sound like money is a problem, so in order here are my suggestions:

Colt Anaconda
S&W M29/629
S&W M69

I had a 29, and regret selling it everyday. Currently have the M69 and really like it. It's about 3-4 oz. lighter than my Ruger GP-141, has a better DA trigger pull out of the box, and has been very accurate. The only thing I didn't like about it was the stock grip. It just didn't fit my hand quite right during recoil. I bought a Hogue grip and now all is well. One of my favorite shooters.

It has made a good carry gun in the woods, IMO. Also, I've shot a few dozen Buffalo Bore 305 gr. hot loads through it with no issues. You definitely can feel it, and I don't shoot more than a dozen of those at a time, but the M69 can definitely handle the horsepower.

Good luck in your search.

Back