What .44 ammo for home defense?

If I was going to use a 44 indoors, I would probably go for the cowboy load for my backup CAS rifle. I use 6.2 gr Trailboss with a 200 gr LRNFP bullet, 44 Mag brass. It is designed not to be overly loud, for low recoil, and not to damage steel targets.

A new shooter on Saturday came with a 44 Magnum rifle and store bought ammo and destroyed 4 rifle targets with some rounds nearly penetrating 1/4" steel plate...never mind that the rule says "lead bullets only". My mild lead rounds would just go splat, no harm, no foul.

"I recently asked him what he used for ammo for his .44 Magnum when used in a home defense role. He said, "240 gr. hornady XTP HP and 13 grains of blue dot powder." He said that he normally doesn't recommend handloads for self defense but this is one of his few exceptions."

According to Hornady No. 9, that load would give 1200 FPS from a 7.5 inch barrel, so, probably under 1100 FPS from a 4 inch barrel. Sounds reasonable.

Best,
Rick

It's probably been said, but Speer makes a 200gr good dot load doing about 875. I have shot deer and coyote with that bullet, at that speed. It was effective.

240 gr. hornady XTP HP and 13 grains of blue dot powder.
I've never used Blue Dot so I can't say if it's true or not what the other reloaders say.

They usually say Blue Dot gives a very large and impressive fireball.

Personally, I favor 17.3 grains of Alliant 2400 under a lead semi wadcutter hollow point - that's good for about 1100 fps out of my 4" M29.

Nice tame load.

Plenty of close quarters power with significantly less chance of sheet rock penetration.

Thats funny. If your 44 load will not shoot through sheetrock its no good for SD. Even my old Whamo Wrist Rocket shooting marbles will go through 1/2" sheetrock.

IIRC original 44 Special 240gr loads were expected to give around 750fps. Most of these recommeneded loads of 900-1100+fps are more like light 44 mag loads. If for some reason I decided to use a 44 mag revolver it would be with the Hornady 240gr lead hollow points loaded in 44 mag brass to around 800fps. That should be plenty for any two legged trouble maker.

Around 5-6grs of Bullseye should give you that speed. I have been shooting 5grs of Bullseye in 44 mag brass for many years. Its pleasant to shoot and has plenty of power. And it shot great 25 yard groups from my old 4" model 29 I stupidly sold. What was I thinking? But they shoot just as good from my 5.5" BlackHawk.

Last edited:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/17280

In stock here, but might be discontinued. 44 mag 200 gdhp about 1070 fps. Prefect for 44 mag home defense, and easily reproducible using Speers latest handloading book for 200 gdhp short barrel. Big bonus is accuracy potential of the 200 gdhp.

Personally keep a 44 mag Mt Gun by bedside. It is loaded with Custom loaded rounds, 180 Rem sjhp at 1250 fps from 4 in barrel. That be about like 45 super.

Back