Wes Clark on McCain

Sir, would you like one of our two specials today?

One is served on fresh rye with thrice flipped eggs, bitter sauerkraut, and no nuts.

The other special is slices of maverick beef brisket, served on well aged white sourdough, and wrapped in a "fine-gold" napkin. Both are half cocked, er I mean, half off today. Both are served with either a "moderate" or "liberal" helping of our famous horseradish, mustard, mayo, and chopped onion spread.

Such a nice way of saying: "They are as different as crap sandwiches, one on wheat toast and the other on sourdough bread."

Hackworth has some nice things to say of McCain also:

http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccain.com/cin_hacker_2.htm

I next went to the Pentagon. Within a week, I received a recap of his medals and many of the narratives that give the details of what he did.

None of the awards, less the DFC, were for heroism over the battlefield where he spent no more than 20 hours. Two Naval officers described the awards as "boilerplate" and "part of an SOP medal package given to repatriated (Vietnamera) POWs."

McCain's Silver Star narrative for the period 27 October 1967 the day after he was shot down to 8 December 1968 reads: "His captors… subjected him to extreme mental and physical cruelties in an attempt to obtain military information and false confessions for propaganda purposes. Through his resistance to those brutalities, he contributed significantly towards the eventual abandonment…" of such harsh treatment by the North Vietnamese.

Yet in McCain's own words just four days after being captured, he admits he violated the U.S. Code of Conduct by telling his captors "O.K, I'll give you military information if you will take me to the hospital."

thallub posted:
Such a nice way of saying: "They are as different as crap sandwiches, one on wheat toast and the other on sourdough bread."

You are on the ball, Sir. That's exactly what I was saying. The two specials (candidates) are both crap sandwiches with a few slight differences. Good catch, thallub. ;)

I'm not a big fan of Clark or McCain, but I can't help noticing that while both men have run for President, only one of these men continues to use their military rank when they are out in national political spotlight.

Back