Wes Clark on McCain

I have never met Clark, but know several officers who did... their opinion was not good. They considered him a political ladder-climber willing to say or do anything it took to advance his position.

In the video, General Clark (Ret.) states that John McCain's answer is to always use force. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't General Clark order a British commander to take the airport in Kosovo from the Russians, by force? I believe the British commander said something to the effect that he was not going to be responsible for starting WW3. Anyone else have a better memory or more details on that situation? I think the Russians got to the airport first and basically took it over. General Clarks who was the Nato Allied Commander at the time, didn't like that. I believe Clark was fired from this post as result. I'm going totally by recall here, so I could be off base. I apologize in advance if I am off base.

Did a google on Wesley Clark and Kosovo Airport. Here's on item that the searched listed:

http://www.antiwar.com/orig/jatras12.html

Wesley Clark: The Guy Who Almost Started World War III
by Stella Jatras
August 23, 2003

One small clip from the article:

Col. David Hackworth, in his 1999 commentary Defending America, wrote of Clark: Known by those who've served with him as the Ultimate Perfumed Prince, he's far more comfortable in a drawing room discussing political theories than hunkering down in the trenches where bullets fly and soldiers die.

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/984468/posts

Here's the Hackworth article...

I've not heard much positive about Clark from other military men. Most if not all of them think him a political hack more than a military leader. He is shiny and polished though, isn't he?

Clark and Vietnam II

By Col. David Hackworth
© 1999 WorldNetDaily.com

NATO's Wesley Clark is not the Iron Duke, nor is he Stormin' Norman. Unlike Wellington and Schwarzkopf, Clark's not a muddy boots soldier. He's a military politician, without the right stuff to produce victory over Serbia.

Known by those who've served with him as the "Ultimate Perfumed Prince," he's far more comfortable in a drawing room discussing political theories than hunkering down in the trenches where bullets fly and soldiers die. An intellectual in warrior's gear.

A saying attributed to General George Patton was that it took 10 years with troops alone before an officer knew how to empty a bucket of spit. As a serving soldier with 33 years of active duty under his pistol belt, Clark's commanded combat units -- rifle platoon to tank division -- for only seven years. The rest of his career's been spent as an aide, an executive, a student and teacher and a staff weenie.

Very much like generals Maxwell Taylor and William Westmoreland, the architect and carpenter of the Vietnam disaster, Clark was earmarked and then groomed early in his career for big things. At West Point he graduated No. 1 in his class, and even though the Vietnam War was raging and chewing up lieutenants faster than a machine gun can spit death, he was seconded to Oxford for two years of contemplating instead of to the trenches to lead a platoon.

A year after graduating Oxford, he was sent to Vietnam, where, as a combat leader for several months, he was bloodied and muddied. Unlike most of his classmates, who did multiple combat tours in the killing fields of Southeast Asia, he spent the rest of the war sheltered in the ivy towers of West Point or learning power games first hand as a White House fellow.

The war with Serbia has been going full tilt for almost a month and Clark's NATO is like a giant standing on a concrete pad wielding a sledgehammer crushing Serbian ants. Yet, with all its awesome might, NATO hasn't won a round. Instead, Milosevic is still calling all the shots from his Belgrade bunker, and all that's left for Clark is to react.

Milosevic plays the fiddle, and Clark dances the jig. Stormin' Norman or any good infantry sergeant major would have told Clark that conventional air power alone could never win a war -- it must be accompanied by boots on the ground.

German air power didn't beat Britain. Allied air power didn't beat Germany. More air power than was used against the Japanese and Germans combined didn't win in Vietnam. Forty-three days of pummeling in the open desert where there was no place to hide didn't KO Saddam. That fight ended only when Schwarzkopf unleashed the steel ground fist he'd carefully positioned before the first bomb fell.

Doing military things exactly backwards, the scholar general is now, according to a high ranking Pentagon source, in "total panic mode" as he tries to mass the air and ground forces he finally figured out he needs to win the initiative. Mass is a principle of war. Clark has violated this rule along with the other eight vital principles. Any mud soldier will tell you if you don't follow the principles of war you lose.

One of the salient reasons Wellington whipped Napoleon in 1815 at Waterloo is that the Corsican piecemealed his forces. Clark's done the same thing with his air power. He started with leisurely pinpricks and now is attempting to increase the pain against an opponent with an almost unlimited threshold. Similar gradualism was one of the reasons for defeat in Vietnam.

Another mistake Clark's made is not knowing his enemy. Taylor and Westmoreland made this same error in Vietnam. Like the Vietnamese, the Serbs are fanatic warriors who know better than to fight conventionally in open formations. They'll use the rugged terrain and bomber bad weather to conduct the guerrilla operations they've been preparing for over 50 years. And they're damn good at partisan warfare. Just ask any German 70 years or older if a fight in Serbia will be another Desert Storm.

It's the smart general who knows when to retreat. If Clark lets pride stand in the way of military judgment, expect a long and bloody war.

I have never met Clark, but know several officers who did... their opinion was not good. They considered him a political ladder-climber willing to say or do anything it took to advance his position.

LOL That sounds like McCain.

Unregistered said:

If you give the benefit of the doubt to internet testimony, I have heard the very same thing from numerous vets, both officer and enlisted. Among them, that he was a pompous career officer who looked down on enlisted men with disdain, if not outright disgust.

Another is that during some war game exercises, he had his connections order the OPFOR (one notorious for annihilating testing units) deliberately "lose", to make himself look good.

Not to mention the Kosovo contoversy that USAFNodak mentions...

But yeah, McCain's father and grandfather were "famous" military men who undoubtedly were entrenched in the "establishment". Still, for everything that "true" conservatives dislike McCain for, his military service record can't really be ridiculed.

I know personally a sergeant major in the marines who knows Clark and feels that Wesley Clark is a politically motivated narcissist who will do or say anything to forward his post-military career.

I think his comments about McCain being untested are absurd, considering they would apply twenty-fold to Obama.

Winston the Wolf Posted:

That sounds like McCain.

It also sounds like Obama.

Sir, would you like one of our two specials today?

One is served on fresh rye with thrice flipped eggs, bitter sauerkraut, and no nuts. :D

The other special is slices of maverick beef brisket, served on well aged white sourdough, and wrapped in a "fine-gold" napkin. Both are half cocked, er I mean, half off today. Both are served with either a "moderate" or "liberal" helping of our famous horseradish, mustard, mayo, and chopped onion spread.

But yeah, McCain's father and grandfather were "famous" military men who undoubtedly were entrenched in the "establishment". Still, for everything that "true" conservatives dislike McCain for, his military service record can't really be ridiculed.

McCain's millitary records are classified and sealed..................I wonder why. But you have to wonder why so many Vietnam Veterans are against him.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Vietnam+Veterans+against+mccain&search_type=&aq=f

I had the displeasure of watching Wesley hijack my sister in law's graduation by using his speech as an opportunity to stump for himself. Utterly sleazy and shameless.:barf::mad: I wouldn't count his endorsement of the person from Illinois as anything other than a solid reason NOT to vote for said person.

I do not respect Gen. Wesley Clark. He dies not make alot of sence

He does make a lot of cents. He has figured out a way to profit big time from his Rank as General. Not that profiting is a bad thing. But, people are fooled into thinking that because someone is a general, or was a general, that they are then automatically an expert on many things. That's not necessarily the case. Gen. Wesley Clark is a man who is smart and has figured out a way to weave himself into the political world to further himself and profit from it. That doesn't mean he was a good general as compared to others. It means he was more politically minded. I respect his rank and his service. I don't respect his politics and his actions now that he is retired.

The bad one does after service voids the good during it. A man is only as good as the person they are today. Fighting enemies abroad doesn't justify or excuse anyone for furthering the same at home afterward. If someone's robbing or hurting me or my family I don't give a crap how many medals they earned even the day before--they're a garden variety scumbag and will get the same treatment. The result of wrong is the same regardless of who it comes from and no prior qualification for respect negates that.

Back