Went to a small gun show today, and brought home the King of the 22s

Winchester_73

So I went to this gunshow today that was at a sportsmans club. It was about a half hour from home. Not long after getting there, I laid eyes on this Winchester 52 pre A model SN 15xxx (1930 production) with a Unertl 16x scope which was later upgraded to 20x by unertl. The guy stated he sent the scope back to Unertl about 30 years ago to have the power increased. The gun is clean, with the factory original rear ladder / peep sight, and it has a lyman globe in the front. The only drawback is that this gun is barrel tapped BUT this will make a great shooter. Its also missing the barrel band. The one the gun included, which was taken off the gun, didn't even fit lol so he must have gotten barrel bands mixed up. After some dickering, I walked out with the gun / scope, an original mag, and a brownells spare all for $900. Pretty good IMO. Here are some pics:

GEDC0031.jpg

GEDC0032.jpg

GEDC0033.jpg

GEDC0037-3.jpg

GEDC0034-2.jpg

Looks like this Winchester 52 will give my Sako model 78 HB 22lr a run for its money. The Sako wears an older Weaver 20x.

GEDC0040-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some more pics

Here is a closeup of the original rear sight and scope marking. The sight is probably a rare item today. I imagine the scope to be pre war, but I don't know these old Unertls super well.

GEDC0038-2.jpg

The gun also wears factory Unertl mounts which is another probable rare part today.

GEDC0035-3.jpg

All markings are crisp. This gun is a winner all the way. Sometimes a gun has to grow on me, but I love this one already.

GEDC0039-3.jpg

Well I had to dry fire it once because it had a pull tie that held the bolt open. The trigger was only a few ounces. I wonder if the trigger is adjustable !?!? But it doesn't need adjusted anyways.

Good for you! They're built like a high power rifle and with a good bore, very accurate. That Lyman/Unertall scope is itself a very collectable item.

I see that your rifle predates mine by a year. Mine is 19XXX and was made in 1931.

Here's my Model 52 and Unertl scope in action on a prairie dog hunt.

4-22Man06-400.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! The 52's have become very collectible, and that one looks to be in excellent condition. Glad to see that it's found an owner who'll appreciate it.

Great find!!

There is a fellow at our range who has a couple of them with the same scope.

He really shoots the dickens out of them.

Enjoy!!

Geetarman:D

NICE... have a model 52 & a couple unertls as well, but not together... I like the scopes enough, that I don't think I could keep one on a 22 Honestly...

have a 20 X on a custom 32-40 Remington Rolling Block... 15X is on a custom Mauser 25-06... would like to find a couple more of the scopes...

BTW... the 52's are nice too ;)

After some dickering, I walked out with the gun / scope, an original mag, and a brownells spare all for $900. Pretty good IMO.
Must have been quite a spell of dickering going on to get it at that price! Superb find.

I foresee many hours of precise shooting going on in the near future.

Range report?

AND....... it even had a Speedlock installed as well - not a standard feature at the time.

You've done well - I've sold those older target scopes w/mounts for almost as much as you paid for everything.

Congratulations. That is a beautiful gun. I own a Model 52 that is also beautiful. Serial number 1508. Enjoy shooting it.

One of my dreams is to find the proverbial little-old widow woman with a mint 52C Sporter sitting in her closet since her husbands death.

I'm babysitting a Model 52 right now,,,

In February a dear friend passed away,,,
Her brother lives in California and couldn't take her guns,,
So I'm storing all 23 of her rifles and pistols until he can collect them.

One of the rifles is a Model 52 of some iteration,,,
It has some brand of micro adjustable rear peep sight,,,
The metal is in very good condition and the wood stock is dent free.

I get this rifle out of the case at least once a week just to handle it,,,
I do not have any need at all for a target rifle such as this,,,
But my hoarder gene makes me want to own it. :o

So far I've refrained from making him an offer on it,,,
I hope he can come back here and get it soon,,,
I need that temptation gone from my sight.

Aarond

Back