Well, I did it - used magnum pistol primers in .45 ACP loads

...and Remington, though less available at the moment.

There are a couple of YouTube videos online involving small pistol magnum and standard primers in 9mm and showing no discernable performance difference. But that doesn't mean much. The response differs with the powder and the cartridge and the bullet.

I've used plenty of small magnum pistol primers in .38 Spl. with W231. That's all I could find at the time. I started a bit low and worked up 0.1 grain at a time. According to my chronograph, the velocity difference between small magnum pistol vs small pistol is between 0.1 to 0.2 grains of W231 in .38 Spl.

That's a reasonable expectation. It's small enough, too, that you could see it change with primer lot numbers or with primer brands or with which powder you choose. Sometimes all we can do is try and see.

Okay.

I've been using Regular and Magnum large pistol primers in 45 ACP since the early 2000's and reporting the results on this site as well as others.

So, after 20+ years, I can say that unless you are a match shooter, the differences are meaningless.

Back