Well.... "Cast and learn", I suppose.

Sawdust substitutes?

So, nix the Marvellux for future use.

Will used tumbling media work in lieu of sawdust, which I don't have? It would be nice to find a use for that stuff.

Is anybody building a home near you? They usually have a pile of sawdust in the front yard where the sawman sets up each day. Cabinet shops are usually also happy to get rid of their sawdust. You can also buy hamster or pet bedding in the bags anywhere from WalMart to Target to PetCo and that is just wood (cedar) chips. Not ground as finely as sawdust, but will end up as carbon ash just the same. Paint stir sticks are great for stirring to break loose the dirt and crud that sticks to the side of your pot. Just be sure that ANYTHING that will end up underneath the melt is dry. This includes stir sticks and the stuff you're stirring in there. Truth be told almost any organic (carbon containing) material will work, from dried leaves to grass clippings, but most think sawdust works the best.

I have never tried my used walnut media. I guess it might work, since it is just nut shells, but I have access to a LOT of sawdust here. :cool:

A few days ago I needed more sawdust and asked the neighbor that has a table saw if I could use it. Once I ran through a couple of boards I collected the sawdust and swept out his entire garage for the favor.

Stubbicat.....I confess to using Marvelux, on page 57 , Lyman Cast bullet Handbook #3, says to us it. Page 17 of the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1, shows a can, sitting next to the pot and states the modern commercial fluxes are the best.....these being my only source of guidance back then, I followed their instructions.
Now the trick is don't use too much, I use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon for a pot with 12 to 15 pounds of alloy. If you get a molten glass layer on top and/or a buildup on the pot walls....that's TOO MUCH . I find it better to do 2- fluxes with 1/4 teaspoon each than one flux with 1/2 teaspoon...just seems to clean better.
After doing my two small Marvelux fluxes, before I get to casting , I flux again with just a drop or two of melted beeswax. Touch a beeswax cake to my hot stirring spoon and get just a couple drops in it and stir into melt. Not sure why but the beeswax gets the metal really clean and all blended. Again, don't use too much, it smokes and will flash to fire so use a small amount.
All of the fluxes work, the trick is using the proper amount.
And in the middle of a casting session, if the melt needs another flux I will use the cedar shavings from our wood pencil sharpeners, cedar smells nice and shavings reduce to charcoal quickly, stir them in and resume casting.

Gary

Back