Weigand Multiple 686 Barrel Conversion

Just found this thread.

Stoic, yes I do have the Weigand mod on my 686 7 shot. I chose to have the 6 inch barrel fitted to my 686. I see no use in purchasing the other length barrels at this time because I love the 6 inch so much.

I absolutely love the Weigand conversion. I have only been to the range twice since I had the conversion. I never measured group sizes or nothing like that because I had my sons with me, and it was all I could do to keep up with all the loading and shooting the four of us were doing. It was extremely accurate for me in single action. I am still not an accompolished DA shooter but getting better. I was getting so good at it in SA, my son stuck a walnut through the cardboard backing that we were using, and asked me to shoot at the walnut, and hit it the very first time. I hit it the first time from 20 yards. He put a second walnut into the backing, and I moved back to 25 yards, and I hit it again with the first shot. I actually grazed the second walnut, but I did hit it on first try. We were shooting Georgia Arms 148 gr wadcutters. The wadcutters that were flush with the case mouth were the most accurate. The second time I ordered from them, I told them that I wanted the wadcutters that were flush with the case mouth. I cannot remember the term that they used for the differences in the wadcutters.

I did have a problem with the gun shooting high, and this was because the front sight that was supplied from Weigand was not high enough. I was bottoming out on my rear sight elevation adjustments, and I had to use an exterme low hold. I was originally supplied a .250 front sight. I called Weigand, and he told me to send it back, and he would ship out a .300 immediately. The .300 worked like a charm, and the problem went away.

One thing that I do suggest is to have the whole frame bead blasted. If you have it bead blasted, it will look exactly like the one on their web site, and the bead blast frame will blend better with the conversion barrel. The last time I checked with Weigand, the cost was $75.00 for the bead blast job. I did not have my frame bead blasted at the time of the barrel conversion, but, to me, it still looks good and is unique. SS

Interchange "L"

Thanks for the interest in this project. Sling Shot, thank you for the kind words, they are always nice to hear. I would like to cover a few of the questions.
The revolver has not been reviewed by any magazine yet. The photo you see was from The American Handgunner, it was the giveaway gun in the Jan/Feb 2001 issue I believe. Sorry I don't know who won it, LOL!
I sell the barrels in kit form or installed. Installation is $50, if you buy 2 barrels at one time installation is free. I can do the installation in two weeks. Any other work attached to the gun puts it to 6 months. I know that is a kick in the pants but I have been pretty busy lately. I do all of the Pistolsmithing myself and I am just a little overloaded at this time. I have been busy designing new products for the scope mount business and that is how I got behind.
Why I used Aluminum. For Lightweight carry and hunting applications. I hate carrying or hunting with a heavy gun and I would imagine most do.
OK I hope this answers most of the questions. I will be watching the thread to see if I can be of any further service. I hope all had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I am going to the Shot Show so if you see me wandering around please stop me to say HI.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

Jack:

Are you still answering Email, or is it best to post here?

BTW: It is a credit to you that you do all of your own work.

Gary H.

Mr. Weigand:

I will post my Email sent yesterday. I believe that your answer may be useful to other small women that have had serious problems finding the right gun. Here goes...

"Mr. Weigand:

I am trying to make a decision regarding a gun for my wife, but haven’t the information that I need to make such a decision. Her gun will be a house gun. The services and products that you provide and your reputation, make you my best hope for making the correct choices and having the work done right.

My wife is but 85 pounds and after cycling through many guns, we have yet to find one that she is comfortable with. We know that a revolver is best. We have an SP-101 snubby and 686+ 6”. I had to put in Brownell’s lightest springs, because she could NOT pull the triggers. So far, primers have been kind. The trigger and control is much superior on the larger gun, but the front heavy weight is too much for her. The Ruger is more comfortable to handle, but accuracy and follow-up are horrible.

I am considering the purchase of another 686+ in 21/2”, or 4”, but have also been eyeing your 21/2” and/or 4” interchangeable barrels for my current 686+. I understand that they are lighter than stock and thus less forward shifted weight. The second issue is the trigger. I would prefer not to use such light springs due to possible primer problems and I recognize that my 686 is a frame-mounted striker. Am I better to send my 686 to you for your barrels and action work, or best to buy another gun and have you do the action? Will action work make the trigger useable with heavier springs? If better to purchase another gun, what would you suggest?

I appreciate your time and experience in this matter."

My answers to the above questions

Barrel length.
If you have a gun shop near by take your wife in and let her handle a few revolvers of varying length. Let her tell you what feels good to her, what length she can tolerate. We can surely install the Interchange L system in any length she desires. The nice thing there is you can vary barrel lengths if you so desire.
Frame mounted firing pin.
These actions are the heaviest of all the S&W designs. If you have installed lighter springs
with no malfunctions that is good. There are quite a few things we can do to make the action lighter and still dependable.
Additions to my email response.
It is always nice to work with a firearm you own. We all know trading them in is a no win
situation. I am a believer of making a gun you have in to something you will enjoy and
shoot. I love taking an old Stainless L frame and making it into a classy custom piece you can be proud of.
I hope I have answered the questions with enough detail.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

Thanks Jack:

Barrel length should be easy to work out, but this trigger issue was my primary concern. I gather that I should send it in rather than buy another .357. That being the case, I will Email you directly regarding same.
Best,
Gary

Back