Weigand Multiple 686 Barrel Conversion

Stoic

Does anyone own a S&W 686 with the Jack Weigand Interchangeable Barrel Conversion? This looks like an interesting option for S&W revolvers. I am seriously considering sending in my revolver for this modification. Opinions? Advice?

http://www.jackweigand.com

Optima.jpg

Can't help you, but if you do send it in, please post the results. I was on the virge of sending my 686 in when I inherited a Dan Wesson .357. I'm still kind of interested in the Weigand since I like the 686 a little better, but it seems kind of pointless since I can just order different barrels for the DW and be done with it.

Phil,

I still hope that someone on the board has already sent in their S&W 686 for this conversion and will post a review. Otherwise, I'll have to be the test case. Either way, Jack Weigand does excellent work.

Dan Wesson is an attractive alternative. However, I don't like the trigger pull on the Dan Wesson or the cylinder release. Also, I'm going to send in a S&W 686 plus and like the extra round that it offers.

I like the trigger better on the 686 too, although the DW isn't bad at all. My DW has fixed sites though, like a vaquero.

I'd like to see the conversion on N frames too. Since I have 2 .357's I was thinking of selling the 686 or maybe the DW (it has sentimental value tho...) at some future time and getting a 629. I actually tried to buy a 629 from a local dealer, but he jacked with me on the price. I looked at the gun on Friday, his employee convinced me that prices were going up when they reordered, thought about it over the weekend, went back to buy it and they had raised the price $20. The employee wanted to sell it to me for the price it was on Friday, but the owner insisted on the extra $20. I told him to keep it. A week later the infamous agreement was signed and buying a new S&W became a non-option. I have found another local shop with a .44 Mountain Gun - at least they had it a month ago. I've, been afraid to go back ;)

I forgot to post the technical and pricing information about the conversion. Maybe this might be helpful in gathering opinions. This is from the Weigand website.

Product information.

Shroud machined from 6063 T-6 Aluminum Extrusion
Barrel, Jarvis Stainless Steel match grade barrel blank, match forcing cone and crown
Barrel Nut, Stainless Steel
Front Sight, Interchangeable front sight blades (S&W and our Interchangeable blades will work)

Available in
2 1/2"........2.8oz
3"..............3.5oz
4"..............4.9oz
5"..............6.5oz (limited supply)
6"..............7.9oz (limited supply)

Ejector Rod, Full length from the 6" model 686
Comes with tools necessary to change the barrel yourself
Frame requires minor machining and a crane ball lock
Comes as complete gun or kit to retrofit your existing gun

Available in Black or Silver (Barrel and Nut in Stainless Only)

Conversion Kit Contains the Following
Shroud
Barrel
Nut
Plain Front Sight
Tools (Spanner wrench and Feeler Gauge)
Full Installation Instructions

Price (All barrel Lengths )...............$139.00 (Dealer Pricing Available)

Modify your gun to accept Interchange L barrels............$50 one time charge (Plus Shipping)

What this includes

Crane Ball Lock

Frame notched (.250 wide by .020 deep) Not
objectionable externally

Full Length Ejector rod

Your original barrel can be reinstalled at any time in the future.

SPECIAL OFFER.....
Place an order for TWO or more barrels and we will modify your revolver at no charge (you pay shipping only)

I wish I knew where I could get a review of this conversion. Was it covered in a gun magazine? Does anyone know which one, month, and volume?

Why the aluminum shroud? Isn't that kind of defeating the whole full-lugged barrel concept of getting more weight out front to help balance and recoil reduction?

I'll stick to my Dan Wesson, thank-you-very-much!

Oh, and the trigger on my particular DW is as good or better than a S&W 19/66. I've used examples of both of the Smiths and I prefer the smoothness and low weight of my DWs trigger!

Yes, the cyl latch takes some getting used to, but once you are used to it it seems like second nature. I find that I can reload my DW faster than a 'normal' Smith. Wear speeldoader on right side.

• Grab DW around cylinder from underneath with left hand.
  • Pull down release with left thumb while pushing left fingers through frame from the right, holding bottom of frame. (While doing this I am reaching for my speedloader with my right hand.)
  • Tip gun barrel up and operate ejector rod with left thumb.
  • Lower muzzle and insert speedloader. Drop empty speedloader.
  • Grab gun grip with right hand.
  • Close cyl with left thumb.
  • Put left (support hand) back on grip as gun is raised on target.
  • Fire.

I'm still pondering whether to send my 686+ for this conversion. I contacted Weigand Combat to see whether the barrel system had a porting or compensated barrel option. It doesn't. That's one advantage to Dan Wesson since they offer this as an option. Hopefully, someone who has seen, handled, shot, or purchased a Weigand Conversion will reply to this post with a candid review to help me with my decision.

:) :) :) :)

O.K. I'm in

As soon as I can get my lazy butt in gear I'm gonna do the Weigand deal and get 2 barrels 2.5 and 5 in. In the meantime where canI get grip on the gun in the Wiegand add?

Popeye,

In my unexpert opinion, the grip in the picture looks like a custom Hogue revolver grip in coco bolo wood with the finger groove and but cap options. Check out Hogue's site for a better view:

http://www.getgrip.com/main.html

Of course, you might email Mr. Weigand and ask him exactly what's on his revolver in the picture. He's very patient, informative, and will answer any questions that you might have. I want to send him some business soon.

Good luck.

:)

STOIC, Thanks, your right, they're Hogue. Bought a SP101 today. I wanna send it and my 686 in for work. SP101 for port, 686 for barrels and hammer bob. Gonna call Mon. for turnaround time.

Popeye,

I was told that turnaround time was 6 to 8 weeks. Good luck and give us a full report. I am excited for you. I hope to be able to do the same in the immediate near future. I'm looking for a suitable used 686 to send.

Back