Webley mk iv

The Enfield resembles the Webley on the outside, and Webley was very unhappy with the British government for "stealing" their design without compensation. The internal lockwork is basically the same in the use of a rebound lever and V spring, but the hand and the cylinder stop system are more like the S&W. (The Webley rebound lever and V spring resemble the Colt because Colt stole the idea from Webley, or both stole it from Galand, whichever you prefer.)

A major difference is that the Enfield design uses a side plate, making factory assembly and field repair much easier than in the Webley where the lockwork is inserted through the bottom of the frame.

Jim

Hey James. I was looking at a diagram of the Enfield and noticed that its hand doesn't have an upper and lower shelf like the Colt. You're right in that it functions like a S&W hand and that it's its height & width that counts.

I am afraid you got it mixed up.

Webley has 1-step hand. Enfield has 2-step hand.

Both of them work like a python in terms of cylinder rotation, hammer rebound, hammer stop, and how the hand is sprung.

Neither of them works like a python in terms of the bolt and the rebound lever design. The rebound lever looks like one in python, but it is fundamentally different. The python rebound lever works the bolt. The bolt in webley and enfield is worked by the trigger.

I read webley sued the government and failed. But they were compensated with lesser amount by some other means.

-TL

True, the rebound lever in the Colt design does just about everything, which makes for a simple design with few parts, but interconnects all the actions to the extent that it is difficult to fix one problem without creating seventeen more. :o

Jim

Back