Webley .38

Maybe its a British thing...they put their plumbing on the outside of buildings, too... (ALL those pipes that lovers, spies, heroes and villains climb in the movies aren't just rainwater gutters,...:rolleyes:)

When it comes to mechanical design...
The Germans have a history of strange looking gizmos that generally work
The British have a history of strange looking gizmos that sometimes work
The French have a history of strange.......
:D

"EJECTION of the shells has nothing to do with the springs. The spring actually works the opposite way, just like the cylinder spring in DA S&Ws, and Colts, etc."

Yeah, don't know what I was thinking...

"Maybe its a British thing...they put their plumbing on the outside of buildings, too..."

That's because a lot of the buildings so fitted are a LOT older than modern indoor plumbing, thus it's easier, less disruptive, and often the ONLY way of putting in modern plumbing.

Same thing with electrical -- it's very common to use surface mount wiring in older buildings in Europe. You can add wiring to an entire room (lights, outlets, everything) in the time it would take to pull wires to one outlet if you tried to do it in the walls.

The house I grew up in was old, built well before modern plumbing. The waste stack from the bathroom ran on the outside of the house. Only way it could be done.

In Mom's current house, brick and built in 1903, my Grandfather did a lot of rewiring and expansion. Originally system probably was only 30 or 60 amp. On the exterior walls it wasn't possible to run the wiring through the walls, so he added a lot of low-voltage controls and WireMold outlets and races.

Sometimes the exterior application is the most practical way of doing things -- construction or firearms.

"Maybe its a British thing...they put their plumbing on the outside of buildings, too..."

My feeble attempt at a joke. I know the reason why they did it, particularly with a large part of their construction being stone or brick.

I grew up in a house originally built in the 1820s, moved (about 50 yards) and enlarged in the 1860s, enlarged again in the 1940s, and again in the 1970s.

so, yes, well aware of the difficulties of refitting older buildings with modern conveniences.

Sometimes the exterior application is the most practical way of doing things -- construction or firearms.

Agreed. However, sometimes its not done as well as it should be, (points to the Nambu 94...:eek:)

And yes, Model 12, they ARE nifty! I have a 1917 Mk VI, which has been "shaved" less than the usual amount. It will handle .45ACP brass only in S&W half moon clips (they are the thinnest) and will still fire .455 Webley. Nifty, neat, cool gun, one of my favorite "period pieces".

Couple of mine...

928621d1453770034-glimpse-my-little-collection-38-s-w-revolvers.jpg

I got an Enfield at a gun show. It has two serial numbers both indicate it was made in 1945. It also has a RHKP rack number which I assume means Royal Hong Kong Police. It has bits and pieces of proof marks, labels and other marks all over it and some scratches and dings. I think the grips are home made. As I examine the gun everything about it says it has been somewhere and done some thing. It functions like it is still ready to go. I like guns with character and this one has it.

Back