Webley .38

Model12Win

Anyone shoot a Webley .38? I won one off Gunbroker. Shoots a .38 S&W shell.

pix780081594.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they eject the shells on opening smartly, as designed. You can open the action slowly and they will not eject. Your preference.

Fun to shoot. The pistol was designed for a soft lead 200 grain bullet, intended for military and police use throughout the Empire. Someone noticed that would not be cricket under the Geneva and Hague Conventions, for military use, so a lighter jacketed
bullet was chosen. As a result, the fixed sights will print about 12" from point of aim.

This meant that the originally-intended police targets, Zulus, Communists, Burmese dacoits, Pathans, Malay pirates, Jewish and Arab Palestineans, and Caribbean rumrunners now had to be shot twice. The prior. 455 Webley revolver was retained in service for some time throughout the Empire.

I have an Enfield #2 in the same caliber. It looks just like a webly, but it is not.

The bullet diameter is supposed to be 0.362", but you want to slug the bore to be sure, and measure the throat diameters too. Mine has smaller bore and actually doing better using 9mm bullets.

-TL

"I hear these guns kick the shells out into the air if you open them. Any truth to this?"

I think it depends on the quality of the springs, which apparently varied a little bit during the war because of, well, the war.

Most I've shot have kicked the shells clear, but a couple were pretty sedate about it.

Man the brits designed some ugly firearms but function wins over form.
Watched a gun stories episode on the Webley recently.
Interesting guns that were manufactured for almost 100 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a bit of clarification, the .38 Mk IV Webley is NOT the same gun as the .455 Mk IV Webley.

the older, larger .45 cal MkIV is a black powder (only) gun. I believe the first Webley approved (proofed) for smokeless ammo (cordite?) was the Mk V, and the Mk V was only produced for a couple years, before changing to the Mk VI.

The LATER .38s were called the Mk IV (perhaps Ruger got their penchant for confusing model names from the British???) for reasons I never understood.

"I hear these guns kick the shells out into the air if you open them. Any truth to this?"

I think it depends on the quality of the springs, which apparently varied a little bit during the war because of, well, the war.

Yes, and no. :)

EJECTION of the shells has nothing to do with the springs. The spring actually works the opposite way, just like the cylinder spring in DA S&Ws, and Colts, etc.

When you open a Webley, the "ejector rod" rides over a cam in the hinge, pushing it UP, lifting the shells. If things are not too worn, the shells are lifted a bit further than the length of the fired cases. At that point, empties fall out. Just past that point as you continue to open the gun, the rod rides over the lobe of the cam, and its spring snaps it back down, flush with the cylinder face, for reloading.

How "smartly" you open the gun affects whether the empties, "fly out" or not. And, of course, this applies when the gun is held level when opened. Tilt or tip in any direction aids empties, or loaded rounds falling out. You can, by holding the gun perfectly level and opening it very slowly, get a malfunction, where the cases don't (all) clear the cylinder, and loaded rounds may even drop back into the chambers when the extractor star snaps back down.

You will have to work at it, for this to happen, though. ;)

The bulk of the .38 "Webleys" you will see are actually Enfields, though true Webleys are out there. The Enfield looks almost identical, though there are small differences.

The "official" story is that Webley couldn't supply as many as wanted, the unofficial story is that the Crown didn't want to pay Webley prices (anymore,) and had the guns built at govt arsenal(s). (Enfield)

The .38s became the issue sidearm after the first world war, but a lot of the .45s were retained, and used during WW II. From what I've read, and a couple of people I've talked to, generally the troops had greater faith and confidence in the .45 over the .38.

I know I would pick the .455 over the .38 given a choice.

Enjoy your Webley, it's a neat piece of history.

Holy crud, I had NO idea that the Mk IVs were produced into the 1970s...

The last ones were made in 1982. Navy Arms distributed 250 presentation models as the last Webley revolvers.

Apparantly my gun has the Star of David on it, meaning it is a late production Israeli contract Mk IV, made to dispatch Palestinian Muslims.

Very cool! :D

I noticed this one also has a dull gray finish. Do you Webley guys think this is original, or was it refinished or something? Most Mk IVs I see are a darked color.

A few years ago I saw a 38 Enfield (almost a Webley) on a table at a local show. I had wanted one for a while but the $350+ asking prices put me off. This one was tagged at $100. Dealer said it was cheap because it was locked up and needed smithing. I bought it and took it home where I poured some solvent through it was washed out a pound of hardened grease. Then it worked fine.

Gun's a hoot. Dated 1943 it certainly may have seen action in WW II and who knows where else at later dates? Wears the awful GCA 68 import grips.

I have several revolvers in 38 S&W and I load for them. I buy lead bullets sized .359 and I think I load 4.5 grains of Unique.

standard.jpg

They sure have a lot of strange looking gizmos on the outside of the frame.
Personally, I much prefer English beer over their shootin' irons.

Back