Weaver aluminum rings ugh

I really really like Weaver Tactical rings on my AR's I've used at least 6 or 7 sets and they've all been great. You tighten them up to specs and they won't move. That's the only Weavers I have experience with all the other rings I use are DNZ huntmasters. They are IMO the best made for the price.

1/4" torque wrench and a 5/16 hex socket to utilize any type of driver bit. No more guessing torque values. I also use SAE specs for given screw thread pitches if I can't find mfg specs. All of my scope and mount issues have since been gone. I like the Warne Fixed rings, steel, and not super expensive. Equal torqueing is important on this configuration of rings.

https://warnescopemounts.com/product/214m-30mm-fixed-medium-matte-rings/

Last edited:
I've probably installed scopes on a couple of hundred rifles in my business and hobby and never broke a scope or a base screw. That said, after buying a Fatboy torque screwdriver set and saw the recommended torque settings, I use them every time. They're very accurate, consistent, and scopes don't slip at the recommended settings.

I use the Fatboy for stock screws as well and am able to be so consistent that rifles usually don't lose zero when taking them apart and reassembling them. I always check-fire them before hunting, however.

JP

Well after trying out several different rings the warne quick release is absolutely superb. I put two boxes of buffalo bore though my gun took off the scope shot with the iron put the scope back on and still dead nuts on amazing the hold

I now will only use warne for this old man. Expensive but worth it. The other thing is if my scope got messed up in the bush i have the iron right there with no tools. By the way as I am an old geezer, even with the recoil eraser my neck and shoulder does know I was blasting a lot off the 45/70. Ouch

Last edited:
You guys gave me some very valuable points. I tend to really tighten down the base with a big screwdriver and hence strip the screw on the aluminum weaver. It sounds like in the future a n investment in proper tools is a wise move thank you

I have a good friend who refuses to use aluminum rings because the screws will strip out. His problem, not mine.

In the famous words of Clint Eastwood "a man has to know his limitations"

aluminum is light weight. I dont see the point is paying the premium for a light rifle and compact leupold and using steel rings. And as an added benefit, there are no ugly scars on the scope tube. (although proper use of steel will not leave a scar, gain, Clint Eastwood)

Back