Weaver aluminum rings ugh

Dano4734

It’s just my opinion but every time I use them I tighten them to the base and yup they break off and I am not really torquing on them just want them tight. I only used them on my 45-70 because I had them laying around. Just ordered some warne rings never again weaver for me

That seems odd. In 50 years of mounting scopes(often using Weaver brand rings), I've never "I tighten them to the base and yup they break off " experienced this.

I like the aluminum 4X4 style. They can keep the mettle hook cap type and stick them someplace dark.

Having a drawer or so full of Weaver steel rings, I never even knew they made aluminum ones.
NEVER had any issues with STEEL rings.

The top straps are steel. I've never seen any Weavers that didn't have the bottom half of the ring made from aluminum. Never had any break either. You may not think they are too tight, but they are. And if you are getting the rings too tight, you are damaging the scope. Not just denting the tube, but the internals.

The older style with screws on one side were hard to get the scope mounted vertically. It will rotate as the screws are tightened. You have to start with the scope slightly canted one way so it will be straight after you finish. Sort of a trial and error process until you get it right.

They aren't the most aesthetically pleasing, but they do work. And I actually like the newer 4X4 rings.

I have a 2.5x leupold mounted on my light pump 12 ga 3" magnum on a top mounted rail and have three 4x4 rings holding the scope and had no problems at all with the scope shifting in fireing many magnum shell.

Sounds like operator error on my part.they are the older style and I appreciate the heads up jmr. I am going with the warne as that is the base I am using

I was wondering, because I've been using Weaver stuff since before most TFL members were born. Probably on over a dozen rifles, through the years. Zero problems of any sort.

I too have been using Weaver rings and bases for 50 yrs and have never had that happen. Most times I use a quarter to tighten and an occasional big screw driver when I didn't have two nickels to rub together... You been workin' out???

I have had Weaver rings on dozens of rifles and shotguns for over 50 yrs. I have
a couple dozen pair in cabinet. Have guns bought new in 60s that have original
Weavers still on them. I have never broke the big screw to base. I have broke
the heads off a couple ring screws, but I have broke them on Leupold & RF too.
Weaver used to be top dog. I buy Leupold now but see nothing wrong with
Weavers.

In general about scope screws: I tighten until snug. I then really pay attention as I carefully tighten further. There comes a point where resistance notably increases: STOP!

I've yet to have anything come loose, and I have never used any sort of stickum. :)

I don't have a problem with all Weavers

Weaver brand, or Weaver style?

I don't have a huge problem with the brand but do with some of their older styles. In fact, most of the time, with some exception, they are my Go-To ring. …. :)

The older style with screws on one side were hard to get the scope mounted vertically. It will rotate as the screws are tightened. You have to start with the scope slightly canted one way so it will be straight after you finish.
Oh yes and these I do not care for even though I have a lot of left-overs. As far as the fastener you are to referring to, I have never had this problem. I use some large bronze washers and old brass keys. Wheeler torque wrench had a setting for these ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

All of the weaver AR mounts I've bought have aluminum cross-bolts which, if you line the plate which cinches onto the rail not perfectly straight will easily strip the threads of the bolt so that the nut spins uselessly and you will never get a tight fit. I totally agree with the OP it's an inherent design flaw bound to fail if you don't treat it like a Faberge egg. If anyone knows where I can find steel replacement ones--I'd love to know.

Back