Weatherby Mark V

OK, nobody doesn't like Mark V Weatherby's. But except for Stagpanther, I see a distinct lack of affection for Roy's rounds. My target will be a Mark V in 257 Weatherby. It will have to wait, though, until I can sort out my 250-3000 and work up loads for my new powder acquisitions. The 300 Weatherby is reported to be the most popular, but my 8mm Rem Mag runs close, and I'm a sucker for the oddball. So, the 257 "Roy" it is.

The .257W will fit the bill nicely.

I think Roy was ahead of his time. Frankly, the non-belted magnum class cartridges coming out now have a leg up on his designs. No belts and sharper angles at the should add to case life and reloading consistency...which for most of us is a goal. Americans also seem to suffer from magnumitis along with the accompaniments of flinch, barrel wear and cost, that honestly VERY few are capable enough riflemen to be able to "need" that extra few hundred feet of velocity. If he was to "start" today, I have no doubt that his cartridge family would not look anything like what they are.

I own two Weatherby rifles, A late60's era MKV, 340WBY, and a Vanguard, 300WBY.
The Vanguard has an interesting story, which is available on Weatherby Nation's history section.

The first edition of the Vanguards were the Sako L60, I think. When it came time to renew the contract, Weatherby and Howa put their heads together and changed the design enough to avoid copy write infringement. There was considerable litigation, but Weatherby and Howa prevailed. The changes really only amounted to removal of the third rear locking lug.

The Howa/Vanguard is made the old way. It isn't drilled bar stock, the receiver is machined from a solid forged billet, with an integral machined recoil lug. The bolt is also machined from a solid forged billet, handle and all.

IMO, the Vanguard is much more solid than any other rifle in its price category. It is a pound or more heavy than the other rifles in its price category.

When chambered in Weatherby 300, 6.5/6300 the extra weight is an aid in trying to get accuracy from rifles in this power category. The recoil of the Vanguard is, IMO, in 300WBY is as punishing as the MKV in 340WBY.

The Vanguard may be an economy rifle, but it is far from cheap. If you can accommodate the recoil, they are very accurate, in my experience. My next rifle, as soon as I can swing it, will be a wood stocked Vanguard in 240WBY.

The Howa/Vanguard is made the old way. It isn't drilled bar stock, the receiver is machined from a solid forged billet, with an integral machined recoil lug. The bolt is also machined from a solid forged billet, handle and all.
And flat bottomed action...

The recoil of the Vanguard is, IMO, in 300WBY is as punishing as the MKV in 340WBY.
I have one and frequently shoot the Mark 5 300 w/o a brake as well--that one IS quite punishing, a hard, fast kicker but one of the reasons the kick is so hard IMO is that the muzzle lift is quite pronounced without something to keep it down. I talked to the folks at Weatherby a couple of days ago concerning a replacement for a burnt-out 300 barrel--I don't think they even make the older sporter style barrels for the 300 anymore.
The Vanguard may be an economy rifle, but it is far from cheap. If you can accommodate the recoil, they are very accurate, in my experience. My next rifle, as soon as I can swing it, will be a wood stocked Vanguard in 240WBY.
Have you tried the 270 wby mag? One of the best (and first) of the Weatherby clan IMO.

Last edited:
OK, nobody doesn't like Mark V Weatherby's. But except for Stagpanther, ...

and me...sort of. :rolleyes:

I love the Weatherby Mk V action from a design standpoint, and I do like the look of the guns styling, but the classic Weatherby stock design just sucks for handling heavy recoil.

Bear in mind this was in the days before muzzle brakes became common. With a good brake, tis a different animal.

If he was to "start" today, I have no doubt that his cartridge family would not look anything like what they are.

Well, duh! :D

Today there are different powders, and today there is well over half a century of design and field experience that didn't exist when Roy was creating his rounds. Or his rifle...so of course things would be quite different if he were to start today.

Looks like the same monster case as the .416 uses. I bet the the 30 warms the barrel up quickly.:)
I had one back in the 90's and yeah it heats up pretty good and the concussion will really mess up a windshield if you prop across the hood of your truck. Don't ask me how I know. Ammo for the thing was 89.00 per 20 back then.

Uhh ya

You are not the only one that has taken out a windshield via the rifle concussion method.
Unfortunately for us it was the company Sub, our Suburban. Was fun to drive that rig down to LA in the winter.

What's that tickin sound? In our case? Studded tires, nothing like studded tires on an 80 degree day.

I had one back in the 90's and yeah it heats up pretty good and the concussion will really mess up a windshield if you prop across the hood of your truck.
No offense, that sounds pretty funny, though I'm sure it wasn't at the time. Now I personally have a notorious habit of doing the wrong thing, I usually end up shooting off the hood when I'm too lazy or in too much of a hurry. The first time out with the .416 wby it was cloudy and drizzly--and I thought about it seriously and finally decided against it because I thought it could possibly put a nice dent in the hood--not to mention muzzle flip and sucker-punch me. Didn't think about shattering a windshield but maybe that's because my braincells have already been reduced to mush.

stagpanther, I did have one came with factory brake and first time I loaded case that took over 100gr. Never did hunt with finally sold it.

stagpanther, I did have one came with factory brake and first time I loaded case that took over 100gr. Never did hunt with finally sold it.
I load several big magnums and they can make short work of even an 8 lb keg of powder if you do a lot of load development. I just bought a set of dies for the .416 just in case factory ammo starts costing more than the rifle.;)

My first rifle was a 7mm Weatherby Mark V, for the princely sum of $350.00 in 1969. Easy to load for and 154 Hornadys stayed around an inch. Weatherby brass was made my Norma and lasted 7 maximum loads. Only thing I didn't like was the thin 24" barrel. Impressive fireball with H4831.

Impressive, Old Roper.

In preparing for my African adventure, I have had to be vaccinated for various 3rd world maladies, and there is a neighborhood pharmacy nearby that has been able to accomplish that (big chains won't). But no visit there is short, as the father-son team of pharmacists are avid (and affluent) hunters. Lots of discussion. And they use 338-378 and 300-378 Weatherby, with muzzlebreaks. Personally, I think Stagpanther's 300 is plenty. But if I'm going for ludicrous speed, I will go small bore: 257. Something about that round just appeals to me.

If you want a powder hog, try one of the old cordite rounds. I'm putting 90+ grains of scarce resource into every round of my 450-400, and it isn't even that hot. Oh well, it's all fun.

I’ve owned several Mk-Vs, my current Accumark for almost 20 years. In .257 WM it is a great rifle. Would a M70, M700, Vanguard or xxxxx perform as well or better? Don’t know don’t care, I like the Mk-V for what it is - a unique, strong and attractive action. It is very accurate with my handloads, I prefer a 120-grain bullet at 3350-3400 fps. My hunting load aggs around .75 moa - that’s an aggregate of five plus groups, not just one or two best groups. I’ve owned several .257s and understand the strengths and weaknesses of the cartridge. It still suits me when I have to reach out and touch medium game. I have other rifles for both bigger and smaller stuff.

BTW Mk-Vs use the nine-lug action for all the full-diameter Weatherby cartridges, not just the .300 and up. My .257 has all nine….

igonierbill, Few years back I had 257Wby build used Kreiger 1/9 twist barrel shot that couple years, gave to my nephew. I now shooting 270Wby got Fluted Rock Creek 1/10 twist, 5r barrel. I got Wilson die blanks and had gunsmith use chamber reamer for seater/ neck bushing die. I didn't have Wby free bore done. I started with 150gr ABLR then 165gr ABLR and hoping some point using Berger 170gr.

I've only shot 2 factory Wby one was 30-378mag and 7Wby. I've read your post about going to Africa.

Back