Weatherby Mark V Tacmark .338

I put a send-it combo digital/bubble level on my 338 LM. I like it--the trick is getting it located on the rail where you can see it out of your peripheral vision.

One of the things that is great to learn is to shoot with both eye's open. A proper cheek weld is a must as well as correct eye to ocular alignment. It takes a while to get use to it but once you do you'll enjoy it much more than one eye'd shooting.

I was at the range with a bunch of friends today and I was shooting with both eyes open like I normally do. My buddy was trying to tell me that I needed to close one eye and before I could say anything another buddy that I served with over in the sand box piped in and told him to look through the spotting scope. He did and then my buddy said, when you can shoot like that, you can start giving advice. Until then, go back to your bench and practice, a lot.

Nice, but that set-up looks heavy. Probably a great bench rifle though. But for hunting, no thanks.

Some of the more trim and 'svelte' Weatherbys might do.

But the main issue I have with Weatherby rifles is none of the ones I ever seen come with a set of iron sights. I prefer rifles with back-up irons in case the scope goes down during a hard hunt.

'Course, far too many hunters today can't shoot iron sights worth a frig o' beans anyway. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Agtman,
I never understood that!
What the heck are you doing that your breaking a scope?
In all my years i have NEVER had a scope failure!

And yes, Linestretchers rifle is a range gun.
I have a custom Mauser in 284 Win, with attractive lines. But i don't like to hunt with it. Weighs 10 lbs!

And i'll accept your open sight challenge!

Nice, but that set-up looks heavy. Probably a great bench rifle though. But for hunting, no thanks.

Some of the more trim and 'svelte' Weatherbys might do.

But the main issue I have with Weatherby rifles is none of the ones I ever seen come with a set of iron sights. I prefer rifles with back-up irons in case the scope goes down during a hard hunt.

'Course, far too many hunters today can't shoot iron sights worth a frig o' beans anyway. :rolleyes:
All of the Weatherby DG rifles have iron sights.

My Weatherby Mark V TacMark is a sniper rifle, plain and simple. Over in the sandbox I had a McMillan Tac-338, this rifle is nearly identical. The parts that are not the same are better in my opinion. Can you hunt with it? Sure but I have 3 Weatherby Deluxe models in .257, 6.5-300 and 300 that fit the hunting that I do much better.

You can find out more about Weatherby rifles at www.weatherby.com.

Agtman,

I never understood that!

And yes, Linestretchers rifle is a range gun.

I have a custom Mauser in 284 Win, with attractive lines. But i don't like to hunt with it. Weighs 10 lbs!

And i'll accept your open sight challenge!
I have seen reticles get totally whacked by big calibers such as those used in Dangerous Game hunting. You never hunt DG alone and it's common for your partner or guide to carry a rifle with open sights.

Interesting question though because some rifle are easier to shoot with open sights. My 45-70 is a good example of that. I'm taking the scope off of it.

I never understood that!

Accidents happen. Best to be prepared and zero-ed with the back-up irons in case of scope failure or breakage.

There's virtue in redundancy generally, and if you desire to be a real marksman, you should become well-practiced in the basic skill of iron-sighted shooting before mounting the scope.

Dude, even if you've never been on a long, hard hunt over steep terrain (e.g., Alaskan sheep hunts), scope breakage can happen on 'simple' hunts too, such as the annual deer hunt from a tree stand.

You can find all sorts of accounts of guys dropping their rifle on its scope while trying to climb their fat behinds up 15-to-20-feet into a tree stand. :rolleyes:

agtman, I've never broken scope and none of my hunting rifles has iron sights and sure things happen. I'm not sure what real markman suppose to be but for me if I broke scope I'd get back to camp and get my back-up rifle.

Outfitter I know have extra rifle in camp so I've never worried about that.

Outfitter??? What's that??
I'm strictly a DIY hunter.

One of these days i hope to have a Milermore rifle..
Able to hit at a mile or more... :D

agtman, I've never broken scope and none of my hunting rifles has iron sights and sure things happen. I'm not sure what real markman suppose to be but for me if I broke scope I'd get back to camp and get my back-up rifle.

Dude, focus. Think it through.

Instead of hiking back to camp, spooking game, and generally burning the time you already paid for to be out hunting, you could've removed your broken scope while in the field (at your stand, inside the blind, or just sitting on a tree stump) and slid it into your pack, and continued hunting using the rifle's iron-sights which you previously zeroed out to a pre-determined MPBR for the size of critter being hunted. Got it?

Outfitter I know have extra rifle in camp so I've never worried about that.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

With back-up irons you wouldn't have to look the Outfitter's way because your scope failed or broke, nor have your hunt's success or failure ride on a rifle you've never shot before.

Nope, you'd be better off having the Outfitter shoot your trophy moose for you, and then throw him some extra cash to keep quiet about it so your hunting buds don't laugh you out of camp, and start calling you, "Francis Macomber." :eek:

A serious hunter doesn't rely on anyone but himself where his rifle is concerned. It does, however, take work which lazy hunters don't particularly like.

Outfitter??? What's that??

Yep, ... and some grown men still need mommy to wipe their butts for them. :rolleyes:

I'm strictly a DIY hunter.

Yep, me too.

Back