Wearing rings and other jewellry

I generaly wear a watch, occasionally a class ring. When I go into the shop, all jewlery comes off. The rest of the time I don't worry about it.

In a former life lets just say I was " familar" with Jlry.

Personally all I cared for was a nice watch, I spent time outdoors and considered a watch a "tool" , just like a firearm, a compass, matches...Other than that - I could care less.

Nature of the business was to promote this Adorning , sentimental value and such.

I used a lot of hand tools, worked around machinery, on my own time I was busy - busy where Jrly could be a problem. Table saws, power saws, ladders, electrical wiring...

Firearms: Many folks carry concealed because one never knows what is going to happen. Along with the Awareness Part of CCW -we were taught to NOT look like Prey.

Folks, flaunted, bragged, left Jlry out for folks to see, and you would not believe what else. Totally surprised when held up , car-jacked, Broken into.

Snatch and grab purses ...well them heavy necklaces when snatched and grabbed can cut one really deep - nasty deep, cartoid artery deep.
I saw the results more than once - and the first was a Male not a female victim.

Watches- well some folks like to wear them really loose to show off,
Braclets - some by design are worn loose.

So I have observed MEN and women that the abilty to draw a firearm was hindered . Folks think it is only women. NOPE. Observed a young Sheriff Deputy that his loose braclet got all hung up and could not draw and fire - Tueller drill mind you. Same Deputy wore his watch really loose - Forget the BUG - again he hung up on another drill. Deputy has a Huge Class ring, he couldn't get a proper grip on a Glock - I would bet this ring would prevent getting the safety off say a 1911 style.

Big time bruise when Same Deputy tried shooting Buckshot...trigger guard under recoil whacked him but good. After a bit ( grumbling at me) he took off his Jlry . I also showed him how that heavy necklace could work against him in a up close and personal.

He went to protect his neck, I disarmed him ( training gun) . Just a natural reaction to protect his neck.

My last good watch had a metal band, I lost it helping someone in the rain with car trouble. My other good watch has a leather strap It sits in a safe, it was the last time I checked anyway.

I don't wear a watch most of the time. Sometimes I need one at College, I don't have a cell phone, and not always around a computer,or room with a clock. Out fishing or hunting I take one. My LLBean Field watch with leather strap is NOT attractive to BGs, and my long sleeves keep it covered anyway.

I look at matters from the perspective - Don't look like Prey. I think about Safety , be it around tools, or the ability to access my CCW if need.

One reason I hate ties so much...

A very good friend of mine lost his wedding ring finger just hopping out of the back off a pickup truck at work. It ripped the skin right off the bone. They told him at the ER that with the way the skin tore off it was very unlikely that they could reattach it. They also said that if they did try he risked gang green and such and might lose his whole hand :eek:

The real kicker was that the night before he told his wife he was going to stop wearing his ring at work because it was getting scratched up. His wife stated that they would be getting a divorce if he didn't wear the ring to work. So the very next day he ends up losing the finger in the begining of the day.

After a few surgeries his hand is doing excellent and you can hardly notice the accident at all.

BOB

I wear two rings and a two tone citizen everyday of my life, I'm an electronic technician and deal with high voltages all day, gold is a very very good conductor and I fail to realize what would happen if i grounded my self out with my jewelery, but hard headed people learn the hard way I guess. although sometimes I take it of if my hands are going into tight places, or if I'm going to be using tools that require all of my power but it's not for me it's so I won't damage the jewelery. like I said hard headed one day I'll learn. :eek:

The "watch pocket" on the right front of jeans is used for ring storage during work hours by my co-workers and I.

I grew up on a farm, and stories of fingers lost due to rings were common.

One guy I know had his on, jumped out of a wagon by putting his hand on the wooden sideboard and springing over. The ring caught on a splinter or something, and his finger stayed behind.

I became an aircraft mechanic, and often worked around moving machinery. Besides the risk of yanking a finger off, we have to be careful of electrical current. Wearing a metal ring or watch may provide a good enough current path.
I've seen enough safety films, and heard enough stories of "welded" rings and watches to scare me.
Besides our safety, we have to watch for Electrostatric Discharge, or ESD, damaging the airplane. In some cases, if you don't ground yourself to the plane with a wriststrap, your contact will cause an ESD and fry some of the more delicate "black boxes". The charges that can do this are tiny- millivolts and milliamps.

Despite this, some guys still wore jewelry. In 1988 or 89, one of my co-workers jumped out of a 747 cargo door. Just like the farm wagon incident, the ring caught and he traveled on. He did not completely lose his finger, but it was pretty mangled.

Regarding self-defense, an obvious negative is that jewelry draws theives. I got interested in watches a few years ago, as it seems a lot of gun people do. Must be a fascination with mechanisms.
Anyway, I started noticing that many Rolex watches had stretched bracelets (bands). The watch itself appeared well taken care of, but the band would look like it was used to pull cars out of the ditch.
I learned that this condition is often the result of theft attempts. The theif grabs the watch and runs, maybe twisting it also. If the band breaks- good for him. If the owner is getting hurt, maybe he'll fork it over. If it holds, and the owner won't give it up, then move on.

I suppose a watch can also provide a "handle" of sorts for immobilizing an arm, or doing takedowns.

Back