Wearing rings and other jewellry

FirstFreedom

Although not technically firearms-related, this is related to personal safety issues, like carrying a gun. I stopped wearing my college class ring a few years back, primarily because it started to seem silly after 7-8 years out of college, but also due to the fact that people lose fingers from wearing rings when caught on something fast and powerful, such as machinery, etc. I know that people in certain professions, with large heavy things whizzing around, avoid wearing rings ("I CAN'T wear my wedding ring, honey - it's not safe." :) ). So how many of you consciously avoid rings purely for reasons of personal safety? And if so, what job/trade are you in? And also, what about watches? Would one be wise to wear a watch that has a weaker-strength band, simply so that it would break rather than taking your hand off or injuring your hand in the event of a serious snag?

I have never worn jewelry because of training as a kid on machinery.There are many examples of jewelry and clothing getting caught in machinery and causing injury or death. When I worked for the power company there was a young lineman who got married and his wife insisted that he wear his wedding ring. It wore through his rubber glove and he was electrocuted . Young people today wear lots of baggy clothing - it's a disaster waiting to happen. 25 years ago youngsters liked very long winter scarves . More than one was killed when the scarf caught in the track of a snowmobile .

I don't wear rings because after typing all day it starts to rub on the inside of adjacent fingers. I used to wear a necklace but lost the reason to.

Several years ago, the Air National Guard lost a member over a wedding ring. He was doing a fast exit out the rear, . . . down a canvas chute. For some unknown reason, he swung out on an overhead bar and let loose.

His wedding ring caught on a grease zirc or something on the bar and when his full weight hit: it litterally pulled out his ring finger from his left hand.

A few months later, my own wedding band got caught on a button in a service elevator. The door was trying its best to close, . . . while pushing my 170 pound body away from where my left hand was held captive by my wedding ring.

It took two events to "de ring" me, . . . but haven't worn any ring or watch for over 25 years, . . . and don't miss em. (Use my cell phone to find out what time it is, . . . if there isn't a clock nearby)

May God bless,
Dwight

I work in a power plant (licensed steam plant engineer). My duties include boilers, pumps, air compressors, etc.

However, many years ago, my buddy was doing a minor repair on his car, touched the wrench from the battery to the car, which caused it to "ground". This in turn "welded" his wedding band to the wrench...an interesting object lesson as he went screaming to the nearest water source...next had to take a hack saw and cut the ring off his swollen finger!

I carry a pocket watch. Don't want anything on my hands. This has caused me problems with wify-poo as she thinks I "don't" want to wear a wedding band..which I don't, but not because I'm running around or intend to run around.

I have also noticed in offices that the copy machine will have "dings" in the glass, seems that women tend to bump their "diamond" rings against the glass when they are copying which chips the glass. In the case of firearms handling, it will "destroy" the finish on both hand guns and long guns.

Navy

I'm in the U.S. Navy as an Avionics Technician (repair aircraft electronics) and NO jewelry of any sort is allowed in my shop at any time, as it is a serious hazard. recently had a guy weld a wrench to his wedding ring (and flesh) due to a shock. pretty scary looking. the sent the wrench/ring/skin combo around to all the shops to get the point across. Needless to say, i dont wear any jewelry on working days whether i'm at work or not. only on weekends.... also, got a watch that is 100% synthetic on the outside, so it can still be worn without shock hazzard.

Many decades ago,

I had an uncle jump off a tractor (on a farm out in West Texas),

his wedding ring caught of something,

and gravity took the finger off.

I wear no jewelry,

and no watch.

I have a watch in my pocket to tell me the time.

Not married, never wear jewlery. Occasionally I wear a velcro banded timex. I don't like things hanging off of me. My mom used to get mad at my dad when he would leave his ring on the counter to go work in the garage. She stopped complaining when he knocked a diamond out while wrenching on the car.

I ditched wearing earrings years ago when I quit modelling. I don't even wear a watch these days. :o

My favorite ring hangs on the edge of my front jeans pocket when going for my PM9. I don't wear it any more.

USAF aircrew, Air Combat Command.

No exposed rings or jewelry. And dogtags cannot be hanging from my neck - evidently somebody got hurt by them dangling into a piece of equipment, so now my dogtags ride in my sleeve pocket once we start the crew briefing.

Hmmmm ... depends.

I won't commonly wear any rings while working. Too many instances of having rings catch on things in earlier years, fortunately without disastrous results. Also, I've listened to too many other experiences from folks I know who had their own problems, some of which were bad.

Rings can cause me problems when handling handguns, knives, & swords ... and rifles/shotguns sometimes ... so I decided not to risk exposing myself to potential problems over which I have some control.

Now, there are a couple of rubber-gripped pistols and little revolvers I carry which aren't affected by my wearing a ring on my shooting hand, and if I really feel the "need" to wear a ring, I'll consider wearing one while carrying one of them. I fully realize it may still interfere with other manual tasks, though, including the smooth employment of some blades.

I don't wear a watch ... (prefer pocket watches) ... but I'll sometimes wear a bracelet. Hey, I don't have to jump out of fixed/rotor-winged aircraft, I don't have to rappel, zip or fast-rope, and I don't have to operate heavy machinery.:) I'll be careful what I wear when riding one of my motorcycles, though ...

I've also experienced problems reaching for a speedloader or speedstrip in a pocket when a ring caught on a pant's pocket edge, depending on the ring, but not when carried in a jacket pocket.

Risk assessment issues.

I did hear of an aircraft mechanic or the like slipping off the fuselage of a big bird and losing a finger to a wedding ring and a rivet or something like that.

A friend of mine was helping me put a motocycle back together; we were sat either side with the tank/seat/tail off exposing the battery. I heard a crackle or something (and I guess he heard it too), then I noticed his eyes widen. Suddenly he was up and struggling madly like Dr. Strangelove with his watch. He broke the band or one of the pins to get it off; the safety clasp of the metal band was welded shut. It burned the underside of his wrist quite badly too.

Back in my blue shirt worker bee days I didn't wear rings onboard ship for safety reasons (one look at that "stripped" ring finger on our safety bulletins and eeeek!).

Now I wear my w-band everyday. That's because I don't do any manual labor anymore :p except maybe lifting my coffee cup :cool:

I don't wear a ring on my strong hand because like Tams said, it mars the frontstrap. In addition, I could not get a proper firing grip and the ring digs when I shoot big bores.

The two things I never take off are a bracelet Mom gave me, and my pimp daddy necklace. It's thick so it won't break if it catches on something. It will take my head off first. :eek:

I reckon I'm missing a gene that compels me to adorn myself with shiny metal stuff because I wear absolutely no jewelry of any kind, not even a wedding band or wristwatch. I've no interest in jewelry whatsoever.

I've been damned with poor eyesight and wear wire frame spectacles. If I had it my way I'd ditch 'em too.

Uh, what the hell does this thread have to do with any part of firearms usage?
One of the oldest popular ideas for "Safe gun technology" (what's nowdays called "Smart Gun") is a ring activated gizmo.

Somewhere in the dank areas of the basement I have an old gun rag from ,,sheesh must be 30 years ago,, that shows a contraption activated/deactivated by a magnetic ring worn on the finger. Lots of the reasons listed in this thread about the dangers of wearing jewlery nixed the idea back then.

1rst Post

I guess I am a nut then cause I wear my wedding band, a watch, and earrings
on the job. I don't like anything other that a knife or change in my pocket hence I wear a watch. If I take my wedding band off I will either lose it or forget about it. I know, I know, I am a machinist and I should know better.

Back