Wearing pearls

Auto5

After a reporter asked General Patton about his "pearl handled pistols", he responded: "They're ivory. Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl handled pistol." Or words to that effect.

Well...

From left to right:

FN 1910/55 engraved and wearing pearlite grips from Altamont.

Bauer stainless baby Browning copy, grips came standard.

Pre Model 42 Centennial Airweight sporting vintage Jay Scott pearl grips.

Show 'em!

Attachments

• 20191229_113359[14791]a.jpg
    20191229_113359[14791]a.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 257
I myself see nuttin' much different between Pearl Grips and Ivory. Neither is my choice, but unlike Patton, I don't feel the need to dis the choice others to justify my choice. Nice looking brace of handguns.

I have a bunch of them!
Patton was quite the ass. REAL mother of pearl is one of the most beautiful natural materials.
Even the fake pearl is very pretty.

Very pretty; However ???

Auto5
In looking for a question in your post, I'd guess that you are asking for opinions, on Pearl Grips. :confused:

REAL mother of pearl is one of the most beautiful natural materials.
Even the fake pearl is very pretty.
It surely is !!!

I myself see nuttin' much different between Pearl Grips and Ivory.
Big difference, physically and I work with both and Pearl is very fragile and hard to work with, as compared to Ivory or bone. .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

I also like them on some handguns, especially stainless. These are faux pearl from Ajax I think.

1991-A1-2a.jpg

I think context is everything when it comes to where (subjectively) pearl looks best on a handgun. For instance, there are several pistols pictured in this thread where I think pearl shows off and compliments the looks of the gun. But there are times and places when and where pearl grips would be a turnoff for me, to include, for instances, on most pistols being used in target competition (i.e., Bullseye matches); on most pistols issued to the military having matte or "parkerized" finishes and on most handguns being carried openly by the police (i.e., Glocks and their ilk). Just my wholly subjective opinion.

"...feel the need to dis the choice others..." Georgie was a a rich kid with delusions. He also decided the M4 Sherman, AKA The Ronson, was good enough and that the Allies didn't need a tank that could tangle with the Panzer V's and VI's without bursting into flames after taking one hit. Despite there being one already designed and ready for production.
However, there's a huge difference between ivory and pearl. Ivory ages to a nice yellow. Pearl is kind of girly looking.

Patton understandably did not want his aesthetic to be confused, but an adulterer himself, he hardly had the moral standing to degrade pimps as inferior.

Ivory and pearl can both be aesthetically pleasing, but the ivory trade has always been morally abhorrent. Ivory can be morally sourced but not in vast quantities, and most grips today are made of substitutes. Pearl, actually mother of pearl or nacre is more suitable for inlay details or panels than it is for big handles like revolver stocks, but the aesthetic can also be imitated with resin.

For practical reasons, my guns have wood stocks. But I do like bone, antler (stag), and abalone knife scales.

Never considered pearl or ivory as useful or practical. My guns are tools, not decorations. Of course this is just how I see it; my opinion.

I rather value men like Patton too, though he was not perfect, he was not afraid to speak his mind to the living; even standing nose to nose. He was spot on with his remarks about the communists though violating official political butt kissing in that day.

It is pretty easy to badmouth someone who is dead, especially on the internet where you don’t have to look anyone in the eye.

Now that is Beautiful

Carmady
Not exactly sure where it is written but; "There is a time and place for everything" …. ;)

Your reply is the time and what a beautiful example of the application of real Pearl. Only way this would look any better, would be under a Garter-Belt. …:D

Be Safe !!!

Unfortunately, the grips on the little Renaissance Browning are not real pearl, they're plastic.
Real mother of pearl has a prismatic quality that reflects all the colors of the rainbow. Plastic, while very pretty, can not do that.

The first thing I did after buying my very first handgun , Ruger Blackhawk in 1970, was replace the walnut grips with Jay Scott Genuine Plastic Imitation White Pearl Grips...
I thought they looked sooooooo cool ... with my quick draw carved leather gunslinger holster and belt..
What was I thinking ... that outfit was so Hollywood cheesy and impractical it wasn't even funny . Glad I'm over that now .
Gary

Equally "cheesy" imo, are fake, plastic "stag" grips; the kind found on the revolvers of more than a few uniformed police officers patrolling the streets in the late fifties and early sixties. I thought they looked so cool back then-when I was a 16 year old kid. :o

Back