Weapon mounted lights...yea or nay?

You raised a very good question.

Each person's response has some degreee of validity.

The context of having and/or using a light is important. I am not law enforcement. I live in an urban area. I have no family. My skills level is high because I train a couple of days a month and have had night time handgun shooting classes, including a course at Surefire Institute.

The value to me of having a weapon mounted light is marginal. However, in a pinch, I would rather not have one hand occupied with a flashlight and the other with a handgun. My compromise has been to put lights on two weapon systems - one a long time ago is a surefire. The one in the last month is an M3 snap on shorty light for a Glock 19 which now requires a special holster. The system allows continuous on or impulse on and my grip on the Glock is not changed.

The context for me is a societal breakdown, not a burglar. There might be some currently unknown reason to have a better target identification.

Hand gun, no ... can operate with "off" hand. Would consider it as an option on shotgun where you need both hands free to operate it. (Wouldn't necessarily turn it on right away.)

YMMV

Long gun: Yes

Hand gun: No

All of the reasons have been discussed already. I just wanted to chime in. ;) I have a SureFire mounted on my 16" AR, but will go with a handheld 6Z when using my USP.

You guys just KILL ME! :D Just 'cause you don't need one doesn't make those of us who feel we do a "tactical wannabe".

I have a UTL mounted on my USP, which is (for the most part) a dedicated nightstand gun. If I use it to shoot at the range, I leave the UTL at home.

WHY does it work for me? I have a flashlight "fetish" if you will. I can't seem to say "no" to a good flashlight. I keep 2 in every car, 3 or 4 at the house, some recharge, some use alkalines, etc... I usually keep at least 1 on my nightstand as well, but normally 2. One has a red filter, so if I need to find a shirt in the closet or shoes on the floor while my wife's still sleeping I don't have to wake her. But what almost ALWAYS seems to happen is, when I fumble around in the dark for that flashlight, I end up knocking it off onto the floor rather than actually grabbing it. It clunks down, or falls behind the nightstand, etc. THEN WHAT??? If I needed that light because there was a strange 'bump' in my kitchen?

Just a few clicks on the buttons and the door flies open on my D&S Enterprises handgun safe to reveal my USP40f... The Mepros look like a little airport runway that guide my hand right to it. The safe surrounds the pistol so I can't clumsily knock it over, off, etc. When the pistol comes out of the safe, the FLASHLIGHT IS ATTACHED :D A UTL can be detached in less than 1 second if I want it. And I'm not gonna rehash what Double Naught Spy said, but I mostly agree... I know my house better than you, and I probably won't even USE the light. But if I ABSOLUTELY NEED it, there it is.

And KSFreeman... it's a momentary switch. If I don't want the light any more, I let go with my middle finger. ;) Also has an on/off switch to prevent flashlight "AD's".

Works for me... may not work for you. Doesn't make me ignorant, or a MAll Ninja (no offense to those who are :D). Just makes me unique.

I live in the sticks and wild animals or animals people let loose like dogs that are going back to being wild are a problem.

A handgun with a light is my current search.

A trained dog on a leash in my other hand is useful as well.

The light is needed for final target line up or searching out dark areas.

Don't plan to use it anytime I need to search my house inside.

But for outside, they serve a purpose. Just another tool in my big huge roll around tool box.

Weapom mounted lights work much better with shoulder fired weapons (shotguns,MP-5 etc.) On handguns the get a little cumbersome. I prefer to have a Surefire on a laynard on my support side. I think it also depends on how you are going to carry your pistol. If you add a light you are limited to a "Tactical" thigh rig. I know a few makers have belt hosters for weapons w/lights but they are not really concealment holsters. Another factor is that by having a light near your muzzle "smokes over" the lens after a few rounds...not a problem for home defense scenarios but if you do any serious training with it,it becomes a factor.
Bottom line if your are not using it for any SWAT or Tactical applications stick with a light in your support side and save some money

It's an option. There's nothing to prevent you from having another flashlight in your support hand if you want one. You don't lose anything by having a light on your weapon. I agree that they're less useful on a pistol than a long gun, but even on a pistol they allow you to have a free hand and light when you want one. Maybe the ideal combination is a maglite or small red or blue light in your support hand and a powerful Surefire on the weapon to blind someone with or illuminate the whole room.

Over and over again I hear people say it's a violation of the safety rules because "you have to point the gun at something to light it and you don't know if you want to shoot the object or person yet." Well, no. If you point a Surefire at the ground in a normal size room it will illuminate the entire room.

You can also take the M3 off the pistol and use it just like any other Surefire in your support hand if that fits the situation better.

Back