Weak hands

Guntrainer

Inactive
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas in my last ditch attempt to help an older female shooter who is developing arthritis in her hands. She has been having trouble lately with the trigger on her S&W J frame. I have tried a couple different small frame revolvers but no luck. She is afraid the slide action on a semi-auto would be too difficult given her weakness. I thought a Ruger LCP in .380 might be a suitable alternative.
She is a very safe, competent shooter other than her developing arthritic condition.
I don't want to tell her that her shooting career is over so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

I would recommend a small 38 with decent weight. Make sure its heavy enough recoil doesnt hurt her. Also you could get the trigger worked on to make it a lighter pull for her. If you want a 380 go with a beretta 84fs, 13 +1 rounds. Hope that helps a bit, good luck :).

She is still way better off with some type of revolver. I have owned an LCP for a little while, and I have to say, it is not a gun for weak hands. That thing is so light and tiny, it jumps and bites like a ticked off squirrel trying to get out of your hands. I try to shoot it every 6 weeks or so to keep up familiarity since it is a common carry pistol for me, but it is not an overly enjoyable experience. The reliability of a heavy .38 would still be right for her. Like Tyler said, maybe some trigger work is a better idea than switching guns. A polymer mouse gun like a keltec or an LCP is gonna bite her trigger finger and jump so hard that she will probably not be able to hold it still well enough to get reliable cycling. Since weak hands is an issue, one round of .380 without a reliable follow-up shot is not what she needs. And the trigger on the LCP is pretty serious too. Being a mouse gun with no additional safety, the DAO trigger is as long as it is heavy. Not a range gun, but it suits my needs.

I just realized that this seems a little like an LCP bash, thats not it. I carry mine everyday, and I like it, because it suits my needs. But I'm 24, and my grip is tougher. Your older female shooter needs something that is as trusty as it gets. Revolvers have no cycling action to control, no heavy slide that requires strength and technique to manipulate, no feeding or ejection failures. Plus you know she is already familiar with the controls on a j-frame, so she wont have to learn a brand new gun for disassembly and cleaning.

Sorry for the long response, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
TylerD45ACP - have you tried to work the slide on a Beretta 84FS? It's hard to do! Plus the slide-mounted safety gets in the way and there's not much slide to get a purchase on.

I would have your friend try a Ruger LCR or S&W Bodyguard 38 revolver. Both are DAO, but the triggers are easily pulled by a person with very little hand strength, my wife.

Two options come to mind.

1. Double action triggers can be difficult. They are what they are, you can not reduce them much. But can she operate a gun in single action mode?

2. Learn to work the slide by other means than normal. The rear sights can be used against solid objects to manipulate the slide. I have tried this method before for my glock on my shoe. It will not be welcomed at most organized ranges because the gun is usually pointed in an unsafe direction.

can she operate a gun in single action mode?

+1

the mrs has rheumatoid and had trouble with the slide of an NAA guardian i bought her. traded it for a 38spl model 60 that she shoots single action.
also had a trigger job done to reduce the DA pull. also, changing the grips makes a big difference.

dscf0215s.jpg

If you can find a Colt Govt. .380 or a Colt Mustang they will probably work well for her. Same with a Beretta model 86. All discontinued guns, unfortunately.

The Kel-Tec P32 is another one that will probably work if she doesn't mind dropping down to a .32ACP. Easier slide, less recoil and an extra round compared to an LCP or a Kel-Tec P3AT.
traded it for a 38spl model 60 that she shoots single action.
Glad it works for her. My sister has a model 60 that she can no longer shoot effectively due to strength issues resulting from a cancer operation. When she shoots it she feels like she is only barely able to hold onto the gun during recoil.

My wife also has some hand strength issues and after trying several in her quest for a suitable self-defense gun she now absolutely refuses to shoot any small centerfire revolvers

Yea I forgot about her problem with the slide. The 84fs is no good. Revolver in 38special with an easy trigger is the best bet.

I'd like to add one more tip: you can lighten the trigger pull one many guns by installing Wolff springs yourself. I find the springs on my Ruger SP101 to be very easy to access. I wouldn't go any further than a few pounds lighter than factory springs. Beyond that, a professional job is probably best.

+1 on trying different grips; sometimes changing them to something larger or smaller can make a difference in trigger finger leverage. A trigger shoe could also help.

Yea I forgot about her problem with the slide. The 84fs is no good. Revolver in 38special with an easy trigger is the best bet.
- TylerD45ACP

My apologies if I came off too harshly on your recommendation of the 84FS. I had one and while it was very accurate, it was nearly impossible for me to rack the slide, so away it went.

Pistol alternative

My 67yo mother has experienced some loss of strength in her hands; she normally practices with a SIG Mosquito .22LR, which she can cycle reliably.

She bought the Mosquito so she could practice more, but the gun she uses with her carry permit is one I've loaned her: SIG P239 DAK 9mm.

The height of the SIG's slide makes it easy for her to grip it - which she could absolutely not do, for instance, with my CZ's. The recoil spring for the 9mm isn't too much stiffer than one for a .380, and the extra slide surface area, combined with a well contoured grip, gives her the mechanical leverage she needs.

The good grip shape and fit (for her) also equate to proper position and leverage for the trigger, and good recoil absorption/control.

I have no idea how your mother's hands are shaped. I do know that I personally have trouble with some snubbies and small autos because they are just too small for my hands to find adequate purchase on (I particularly dislike tip-up barrel Berettas and Tauri because of the position I find my hand in relative to the muzzle...). Size and shape are important; find your mother a handgun that fits properly, and it will minimize the strength required for operation.

I'm pretty sure Pax has some similar advice on her corneredcat website.

Good luck to you and your mother,

M

PS I think Pax's comments were on the possibility that some autos might be easier for arthritic hands than some revolvers, and not a recommendation of any particular model.

PPS I'm not specifically recommending the P239, although it's perfect in my mother's case. I'm really saying don't discount a weapon type; instead, get some different handguns in your mother's hands until you find one that fits her comfortably, and allows her to manipulate all controls with relative ease.

If she's having trouble with trigger pull as well as recoil, you might try a medium-size single action auto in .22, .25 or .32. A ruger Mark III should be fairly easy to operate, not too taxing on trigger pull and because the bolt is relatively heavy, the recoil spring is not too tough.

If concealability is a factor, Beretta's Model 21 in .25 acp can be carried cocked and locked for single action, and has the tip-up barrel feature to avoid problems with the heavy recoil spring. Recoil is light.

If a medium frame auto is okay, you might find one of several single action 32's. Beretta used to make a medium frame DA/SA with a thumb safety that would allow it to be carried cocked and locked. Llama had a single action .32 that looked like a little 1911, and also came in .380. Others, like the Walther PP were made for DA on the first shot, not as good an option. Because of the low recoil and relatively high mass of the slides on the .32 acp's, the slides are much easier to rack than say, a compact .380.

Not the most potent guns, but certainly better than nothing.

Arthritis & Older Shooters

"I am wondering if anyone has any ideas in my last ditch attempt to help an older female shooter who is developing arthritis in her hands."

I'm in my middle 60's and as one who has personally experience the pain, in my case the shoulder, I would like to help her.

Could you put me in e-mail contact with this "older female", perhaps I can be of some help.

Sincerely,

AS

Guntrainer,

I had the same thing come up about 15 years ago. I live in Fairfax County VA and right after I moved in there were a series of rapes of Real Estate agents at open houses. My realator called me and asked if I could tell her about "guns" cause she wanted to get one for self-defense.

I told her I could do one better and run classes because I am an instructor. This was right after NRA FIRST Steps was approved so we ran a number of classes for about two-dozen ladies.

One had arthritus so bad her hands were like claws. Tried lots of different pistols/revolvers and what worked was a single-action revolver with 38 special. She bought a "sheriff's" model (short barrel and no ejector).

If it is not for CC than a Ruger MkII, or MkIII can be modified. The MkII's have very light triggers. My grandma had bad arthritus, and osteoperosis. Grampa welded a ring similar to the bottom of a pair of brass knukles on the sides of the slide. Grandma could work it with ease. For working the slide it was the matter of her hands not working for the pich grip needed to rack the slide. Also he made her a special holster for her purse to carry it in. (this was pre legal CHL in Texas.) It worked well for her. She could nail every shot into the COM and head with ease at 15 yards shooting as fast as she could pull the trigger.

Back