Weak hand on trigger guard?

You will never see top competitors in IPSC or any other speed/accuracy sport with their finger in front of the trigger guard because it compromises both speed and accuracy when they are put together. You can plink or shoot with your buddies and think that finger out front is helping but take that s*** to a tournament and see what happens. I certainly found out the hard way and wasted over a year practicing a flawed technique

Apparently Jerry Barnharttook that s**t to at least a few tournaments...anyone know what happened?

Attachments

• jerry3a.jpg
    jerry3a.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 429
Better take a better look at your picture. Burner's finger is not wrapped around the trigger guard. Very few top competitors shoot that way for a reason. Some succeed in spite of their efforts, not because of them. By wrapping your finger around the front of the trigger guard, you introduce inconsistant pressure and tension to your grip. Wrapping your finger around the trigger guard was popular in the 80's and with people who learned to shoot weaver. It has the same drawbacks as many of those similar techniques.

I say anyone who says there is only one way for everyone to hold a gun is all wet. People are different, guns are different. Find what works for you with a particular gun and practice it.

I had a tendency to pull left when shooting my Glocks. A weak-side finger laid on the side of the front of the trigger guard helps stabilize my grip and re-centered my shots.

K

Yes, definitely - that's what that serrated boxy part is there for. I keep the left index finger on the trigger guard's front and pull back in - it reduces muzzle flip significantly and helps me stay on target. MOST serious gunners do NOT do this, however. I dunno why, because it sure seems to help me.

Better take a better look at your picture. Burner's finger is not wrapped around the trigger guard.

His name is Barnhart and he most certainly does appear to have his finger wrapped around the trigger guard.

Edit: I see that it's been explained why most serious gunners don't to this. I dunno; works for me, but I'm not a serious handgunner either, just a hobbyist 3-gunner, so I'm sure I'd change it up if I got serious into IPSC, for the reasons mentioned.

His name is Barnhart and he most certainly does appear to have his finger wrapped around the trigger guard.
If you know him, his nickname is "Burner" and his finger is not wrapped around the trigger guard. Having had the pleasure of shooting with him and most of the legendary names in our sport I have first hand observation of his technique and have never seen him wrap his finger around the trigger guard. Some of the European shooters do with success, but that success is in spite of their efforts, not because of them. You control the gun better by having a neutral, relaxed grip. Not by trying to squeeze the gun tightly. While it's true that there is more than one way to do things, it is also true that there is usually a best way. If you don't think so, take a look at all of the dominant shooters and see what they do. There is a reason that they dominate.

The problem is that you could accidently put your finger inside the trigger guard in a tense situation and pull the trigger. Although this works I wouldnt recommend it. For the simple fact that I was trained not to do so.
But before that, before I had learned how to shoot regularly. I did use this technique.

Back