We don't celebrate the 4th of July in Kali anymore...

The alternatives aren't real good. I like surfing, and, the only other place I can think of, that doesn't seriously freeze you is Hawaii, which still isn't really a state.:(

I am on the way out myself. I dont think its a different country, a different planet is more like it. It sure is beautiful here though.

I am on the way out myself. I dont think its a different country, a different planet is more like it. It sure is beautiful here though.

It certainly is different, no argument there. I certainly have never regretted leaving there for parts North 30 years ago.

Well, I live in San Ramon just inland from SF and Oakland. Some cities ban safe and sane personal fireworks, some don't. Almost all cities have big city sponsored celebrations which include fireworks. In some cities there are additional venues and shows.

We used to rent a place on the west side of San Ramon Valley and up the hill a bit where the neighbors threw a big potluck in the block long common backyard as we looked down the hill at the fireworks from several cities.

Last night from our current home we could have watched at least three of the local displays. I'd already done my personal four hour celebration at the range with three wheelguns and one of my M1 Garands, so left the pretty stuff to people with enough energy to party.

And Walnut Creeks was where?

As for the fires, here's the real problem, from a news article on our 1700 fires:
"The Gap fire, which started Tuesday evening, has been fueled by very dry brush that has not burned in more than 50 years."

It's going for 100 this week, as well. Nice.

Why? Well Mr. Firefighter, what causes such intense burns in forests, and eco-systems? It sure isn't fireworks.__
So, now we are comparing the chaos of nature to the idiocy of mankind. Interesting parallel. Can't make the jump myself.
But then, as I have stood on 30 ft retaining walls in Kali that don't even have any type of deadmen integrated into their design I wonder what the mentality of the people is who live there. If you don't understand what I just said then my point is proven. Your house is gonna slide buddy.
Ultimately, those who prefer to beat the drum rather than to seek answers to issues only exemplify the polarization of this country as opposed to the abilities of same. Good luck in your struggles..I tend to make peace w/ mine after 50yrs.
elkman06

While the rest of the country thinks George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, the folks who run the PRK celebrate Benedict Arnold.

So, now we are comparing the chaos of nature to the idiocy of mankind. Interesting parallel. Can't make the jump myself.
But then, as I have stood on 30 ft retaining walls in Kali that don't even have any type of deadmen integrated into their design I wonder what the mentality of the people is who live there. If you don't understand what I just said then my point is proven. Your house is gonna slide buddy.
Ultimately, those who prefer to beat the drum rather than to seek answers to issues only exemplify the polarization of this country as opposed to the abilities of same. Good luck in your struggles..I tend to make peace w/ mine after 50yrs.
elkman06

Your solution was to move. That's a good one.

I'm working on that one, as we speak.

It's funny that the Gov. approved a huge budget cut in Parks and Rec, closing parks, schools, and now he's faced with 1700 fires...

Anybody see a connection??? Maybe that chaos is not made by nature?

Controlled burn has been a much needed remedy around here for a very long time...

Enron got rid of Grey Davis, maybe park and recs is trying to get rid of Arnold?

I know CTA is, as well...

Maybe that chaos is not made by nature?
Hmm, Ever seen a lightning strike in the forest..I have.
Controlled burn has been a much needed remedy around here for a very long time...
Done out here regularly. Typically gets out of hand and burns 3-5times the acreage intended. Also sterilizes the ground rendering it useless for a couple years and then comes back in grasses which typically only benefit the ranching industry, all under the guise of helping the wildlife who prefer browsing on shrubbery.

Sorry Socrates, conspiracy theory is just that,,theory. Poor management in terms of meeting actual needs on issues is another.
I have watched with great interest as people here have beat the different parties/ideals up. The bottom line is this, until people who are dedicated to finding solutions step up rather than just whining about the conditions, nothing will change.
By the way, I though Ahhnuld was the answer, he was good enough to repeal a properly elected guv out and replace him w/ more conservative ideals, wasn't he? He soon found out that he had to swing toward the middle to continue to have power,,eh?
elkman06

More than half the states in the country ban a majority of fireworks, In NC we not allowed anything aerial so I guess most the country must have banned the celebration of July 4th too and therefore be total traitors and unpatriotic scum.

I once made the mistake of trying to walk on the beach down here in SC during the fourth of July. It really seemed like something out of Saving Private Ryan. Fireworks were everywhere. It did not seem very safe but it was good to see people celebrating.

Only thing I hate is the people that don't pick up their refuse. That really upsets me.

- Mike

I guess that's just sort of sad to me, but, if that many states ban fireworks, I can live with it. I'm so used to being in the ONLY state that limits a certain type of freedom, it may be getting to me. Actually, it has. I notice that people living outside this state have a much more positive view of life, as a general rule..

We couldn't have any fireworks here either do to the lack of rain. In most of the Texas Panhandle all aerial fireworks are banned this year. In the city of Amarillo, it's a $2000 fine for having ANY fireworks. :(

Have to disagree heavily. Has this poster gone and been on ground zero of these fires?

As a matter of fact, I have. Most of the fires in southern California are a result of negligence (not properly cutting down brush, poor camping skills, and thrown out cigerettes, etc) and arson. Regular controlled burns would solve the problem, but the smoke would piss off certain people with money so it doesn't happen.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed a $141 billion state budget Thursday that would cut nearly 10 percent of the funding for public education and grant early release to 22,000 prison inmates as part of a plan to erase a $14.5 billion revenue shortfall over the next 18 months.

The spending plan also would close nearly one in five state parks and make it much tougher to return thousands of parole violators to prison.

The cuts would result in an overall 3 percent reduction in spending from the $145.5 billion budget the Republican governor signed last summer.

The list of proposed cuts includes 48 state parks, nearly one in five, visited by about 6.5 million residents annually.

HMMMM. All of this seriously makes me wonder if we are starting to see the start of a bit of civil unrest...

Also absent in CA is the cutting of fire lanes which contain fires and keep them from going out of control like this. Anyone in the southeast over 10 years old understands the need for them and they get it done, but the moron hippies that run the show on the west coast would rather see 5000 acres burn than cut down 10 to save them ahead of time.

Also absent in CA is the cutting of fire lanes which contain fires and keep them from going out of control like this. Anyone in the southeast over 10 years old understands the need for them and they get it done, but the moron hippies that run the show on the west coast would rather see 5000 acres burn than cut down 10 to save them ahead of time.

Simply not true. I grew up in one of the most fire-prone areas of So Cal, the Santa Monica mountains, and lived for a while in the foothills of the Sierras. Those mountains are honey-combed with fire-breaks with the intent of slowing brush fires. A hot burning fire can jump one of those in about 10 seconds. In fact, the fires around there routinely jump a 4-lane paved hiway like it wasn't even there.

Back