Wby 30-378 mkv

Could be the brake design.
Could be the weight.
Could be harmonics.

Could just be dumb luck.

I know a fellow that recently had the same thing happen.
He assembled a hog rifle chambered for a wildcat .375 cartridge. The rifle was finished long before his custom muzzle brake arrived, so he adapted an off-the-shelf 30 caliber brake (bored for .375 bullets, of course).
Performance was a complete disappointment. It shot about 3 MoA on a good day; but usually more like 5-8 MoA.
He tried all kinds of loads, 'accurizing' techniques, dozens of bullets, ten plus different powders, and on, and on...
And then he gave up.
He was, literally, tearing the rifle down to recycle its parts into other projects, when his custom muzzle brake arrived. Curious about how well the design worked, he reassembled the rifle, torqued the brake, and headed to the range.

BOOM!
0.334" @ 100 yd with Interlocks.
0.421" @ 100 yd with GMXs.
Just one single hole with Accubonds. ("Under 0.180"" was his description.)

To hear him tell the story, it was if angels descended from the heavens and shined the light of the world upon the target and the muzzle brake, to save him from the darkness where he had been lost.

Why did that happen?
Don't know. And he doesn't care, since it shoots.

Earl Chronister Jr. shot a world record 4.375" ten shot at 1000 yds with a .30-378 Weatherby. Reportedly the first nine shots were 3.125".

If that can be done, then why not a 3" group at 500 yds??

.180 groups with a .375 bullet. Surely I'm not the only one that finds that funny. I needed that, it's been a long day.
I assumed he was referring to a 'center-to-center' measurement method. (He's pretty honest about how well, or incredibly poorly his rifles/loads shoot.)
But I can see how you could get a laugh out of it.

Lol yes sir, I assumed that also but sometimes reading things on paper just looks funny as to where if he said that in a conversation we would know exactly what he was doing.

So now I think I'm down to just the scope being s#!t. shot a -2" 5shot group at 200m this weekend. Shot 6,7,8 shifted the point of impact 5" left. still -2" in size. Made correction to scope and shot 9,10,11 and 12. All 4 landed in crazy different places. #12 being dead on bull's-eye. One correction to the scope got me dancing all over the paper then back to center. Not the first time I've seen this out of this optic, seems 6 or so shots than wham I'm way off where I was.

The $300 cabalas scope has a warrantee of 3 yrs. They cant exchange it because they discontinued it (not sure I want another POS, but I could put it on another rifle with less recoil.). They say it is rated to .50 BMG. Any one have a good scope in mind that is in the $300-400 range under a cabalas roof. I think I can get store credit for it towards the purchase of another not broken one. Looking for at least 20x magnification. Also would bedding the recoil lug area be a good idea? Can a novice do it or should the smithy do it?

I don't think you are gonna find a decent >20X scope in your price range.

Change out the scope, then worry about the bedding issues if there are any. All things being Weatherby, I wouldn't thing there would be a bedding issue.

Of course, there are always exceptions.

Back