Washington Times - Top Ten Handguns

KyJim

The Washington Times has created a little photo display of the top ten (most prolific) handguns made in the U.S. in 2011 according to the ATF. http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/collection/top-10-handguns/. Naturally that caught my eye. Obviously, whoever put it together knew nothing about handguns. Sometimes they list a manufacturer like Taurus and sometimes they'll just list a model like the Sig P229.

Imagine my great shock to find out that the number two most prolific handgun made in the U.S. in 2011 was, wait for it, ---------------- the Smith and Wesson Model 29 .44 magnum. They even have a picture of Dirty Harry for emphasis. Oh, who's number 1? Ruger with a over 600,000 made.

"Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
The most prolific makes of handguns manufactured in the U.S., based on production statistics provided to ATF."

Didn't know Taurus was "made" in the U.S.:rolleyes:

Didn't know Taurus was "made" in the U.S.
The ATF import points test enacted by the 1968 GCA makes it very difficult to import lightweight, small-caliber, concealable handguns. Models such as the 738 TCP and 22PLY couldn't be sold here unless they are made here.

Similarly, the original reason Beretta set up a production facility in Accokeek, MD was to bring the 950 Jetfire & Minx back to the American market. Same goes for Interarms/Ranger or S&W production of the Walther PPK.

There's one caveat. Under US law, the regulated part of most handguns is the frame, so only the frame has to be manufactured here in order for the manufacturer to claim that a pistol is "Made in USA". Every other piece can be imported. (Other than the frame, I have no idea of the actual foreign vs. domestic content of a US-made Taurus; I'm just informing folks about the law).

Also...

KyJim said:
Imagine my great shock to find out that the number two most prolific handgun made in the U.S. in 2011 was, wait for it, ---------------- the Smith and Wesson Model 29 .44 magnum.
Yeah, that was somewhat of a joke. I obviously don't know the exact figures, but I betcha S&W sells at least 15 to 20 SD_ VE (in 2011, SW_VE) pistols for every Model 29 they sell. :rolleyes:

Also, did you notice that the Ruger is a P89/P90, which were both discontinued by 2011?

Last edited:
Also, did you notice that the Ruger is a P89/P90, which were both discontinued by 2011?
To tell you the truth, I was still laughing at the Model 29 and didn't notice the discontinued Ruger.

Those numbers seem off to me and many of the guns on the list kind of surprised me. I don't think the guy who wrote it knew much about guns.

The Washington Times picked this up somewhere else. I've seen it before, and it looks like just an excuse to pair guns with movie stars. The data is, shall we say, "strange."

The numbers come straight off the ATF report I linked to above at post 6. However, they only used the numbers (of the two I checked) for "pistols" manufactured and did not include revolvers.

The article is off base some as they don't know how to read the ATF report.

The report is a bit complicated. It tells you what the ATF is interested in and not what gunnies are interested in, well not all we're interested in. It doesn't tell you the guns by type or model. Neither does it tell you if the gun is complete or only the frame is made. Once the frame of the revolver or semi is made it receives a serial number. One the action of a rifle or shotgun is made the same holds for them. That is what the ATF tracks.

So the report begins with pistols and lists all the shops (gunshops, custom makers, builds, job shops, contractors etc.) that produce frames and actions and companies that "made" a pistol in the U.S. Then it goes to revolvers and does the same. Then rifles, then shotguns then things capable of firing a shot like test equipment, experimental models, etc. all for the civilian and military. This includes alot that you have never heard of.

Some companies, like Colt and S&W are listed under several categories and all their locations listed. They are listed by state.

Under pistol they list by caliber. Up to 9mm then they cram everything above 9mm into "50" meaning all above 9mm up to 50 caliber.

So the report takes some study to add up. But the results are interesting.

tipoc

Interesting report. Lot's of info there if you take the time to understand
the format and wade through it.

A few quick random questions:

What does Kel-Tec make in a 25 pistol? They made 3619 of them--

Who the heck is Hi-Tech Plastics in Wheeling Illinois? 20,000+ 22 pistols??

Ruger has a plant in New Hampshire? They made ONLY 2045 22 pistols
there?

As to the article---written by someone with virtually zero firearms
knowledge. No big surprise there.

If this article is so badly inaccurate then the NRA should sue for a retraction.

Newspapers need to be forced to find some amount of accuracy in what they print.

Yes, I know ......I can hear you all laughing from here.

Interesting stuff in the ATF report. I've never heard of a small outfit called Excel Manufacturing out of Bullhead City, Arizona. The ATF says they made 131 pistols in 22, 25 and 380 out of their plant in Az. I found it here under Excell Arms.

http://www.excelarms.com/

You can see there what all they make. They are also a job shop. Meaning that they take on contract jobs for industry. After all "parts is parts" as we machinists says and machine shops make parts. A part for a gun is the same as a part for a combine, just a part.

But I noticed that they were headquartered in Chino, Ca. Where they made additional pistols. Another 524. So I looked and found that they make a 22 magnum semi and it's reviewed here...

http://www.gunblast.com/Excel-22Mag.htm

I also found this at their Carter Ct. address...

http://www.fenderbender.com/FenderB....php/name/Excel-Industries-Inc/listing/27559/

They can get the dent out of your car while you look over one of their guns.

They also made 464 "rifles" out in Chino. Likely builds out of their shop.

http://www.excelarms.com/rifles/xseriesrifle.html

So a diversified outfit.

tipoc

Back