was told" .308 too light for hog!"?

If a 308 will, an 8mm (German equivalent of the US military 30-06) surely will.

Perhaps we should use the 500 Nitro for deer...

FMJ rounds are generally not a good idea for hunting. The wound channel would be very small, since FMJ round does not expand. Unless you hit the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord, etc.) or the heart, the animal would probably run for a long time and die in pain some time later. Not really an ethical hunting bullet. And if you don't care about ethics, it's prety much just plain ineffective. Over penetration with FMJ is also an issue.

.308 ha what kinda necular power plant you huntin around the biggest hog I have ever seen in TX weighed only about 500 pounds and a .243 would deffintaly take care of him if you are un shure aim for his head

The biggest hog I've ever killed I killed it with a .308 and a 180gr nosler with one shot.

Hit the heart and lungs and ole porky went about 50 yards and piled up.

I've also seen a smallish hog take 4 or 5 .45-70's outside of the zone and not go down.

Rich is correct in his post. Shotplacement is not about waiting for the animal to turn broadside when you are shooting a caliber capable of serious penetration. In this case shot placement is about putting a bullet in the boiler room and it can be done from any angle with the right rifle.

A .308 is marginal on a BIG hog from less than good angles.

When I say BIG hog I mean narly tough old boar going over the 300lb mark. Not your average little ole wild piggy.

These two here are getting into the larger wild hog catagory though niether are really big hogs.

Nicehog1webready1.jpg

nicepig2.jpg

I think its like big game hunting. You can hunt elephant and cape buffalo with a .375 or 9.3x62, most people do. But there are hunting rifles and stopping rifles when it comes to big game. Stopping rifles are often in .458 Lott and larger. You don't use expanding bullets when hunting these animals so even a slightly larger hole makes a big difference. Of course I've seen videos of a cape buffalo soaking up just under ten of these .45 caliber slugs and a few larger.

So your .22 caliber high powered rifle would be a hunting rifle if you're a good shot (as long as extreme ranges aren't expected), but something larger might be desired in case that thing decides it doesn't want to die just yet.

I hunted hog on Catalina with Bow and arrow's

Only thing they allowed. So we did it. Goats also.
60 pound Smithwick Citation. Prior to the compound.

Tom Jennings circa 1965/66. It was scary but the thing is you shoot them in the lungs let um run, track um. Lots of cactus over on the Islands Catalina and Santa Cruz. These animals were over running the Islands and we got to go in and hunt them. No guns only Spears, Knives and Bows and Arrows.

The spear was back-up, Had a piece of material going 90 degrees to stop the spear from going in to deep. It was very efficent. Kept them off of you, sometime you went out in pairs one for protection with the spear. Others were always loners. They usually bring the bacon home.

It was a good time. I remember one time a fellow nut was in the path of a charging Boar, let his arrow fly, went into the chest slight angle and stayed in the animal. He bled out down the trail but not before he ran the guy off into the cactus...LOL we picked cactus spears out of him all night at the camp fire, but he got his Boar. He was so pumped and drunk while we were doing it he did not care... LOL Those were the days.

The arrow that we recovered looked like a twisted snake (helped bleed him out) It was an aluminum easton arrow. Some liked wood some liked alum, and others liked fiberglass.

Same old arguements about the best arrow or the best weight of bow. Or the best bow..LOL Same o Same o. I like the Ben Pearson tip because... No I like the Fred Bear tip with razor blades...No, I like the bodkin...On and On..LOL

I am sure the 308 is plenty of gun. Shot placement is the key. Don't shoot unless you have a shot. Simple. Try sneaking up on a hog in the brush with a Bow and Arrow. Rainy season is best. Fun LOL...True story if you don't believe it, don't. Been there done that, as they say. No Guts no glory.

Harley

I have done a lot of hog hunting. I don't hunt from a blind or stand. I stalk. This thread is pretty worn but here goes. I usually use a Marlin 1890S in .44 mag with Hornady HP/XTP bullets. Most of the shots are 50 to 100 yards. It does a great job and drops them in their tracks.

I have also used a M1A loaded with .308 Win 150gr Speer softpoints. Also works well. The military issue FMJ will also work fine.

I have a Marlin MR-7 in .30-06. I have shot both hog and javelina with it.

Recently, a friend took down a small hog with a well placed (behind the ear) shot with an HMR177.

A .308 is fine for hog. Bullet placement is the key.

Hey guys since you all seem very wise about boar hunting I'm looking to do it for my first time. I have a Remmington 700bdl in a .308. I live in Pa (outside of phila) and am wondering where a good place to go for boar is. I'm not looking to travel to far and would be driving there. So if you recommend a good place or outfitter let me know! Thanks

This is similar to when people ask for a recommended self-defense firearm for black bear. People will tell you that they are 15ft tall and weigh 1500lbs and that you need an Abrams tank to kill them. Many people kill hogs and black bears with 357Mag and 44Mag revolvers.

Last edited:
Back