was told" .308 too light for hog!"?

I'm not sure I'd want to hunt a hog that NEEDS a .300 mag. I know hogs can be pretty tough but .300 mag seems a little overboard.

Obviously the person that told you that is partially brain dead or just another expert on everything and likes to hear himself talk. Ignore it, a 308 with the right bullet can bring down anything that walks the face of the North America.. Probably would not be my first choice for the really big bears,, but then again, I don't expect to be hunting them any time soon :D

In the S.E. U.S. the 7.62x 39 SKS has become a big time hog and deer gun. Your 308 is fine for anything in N. America including hogs.

Of course, if you need an excuse to get a .300 magnum, it sounds good to me. You do not need one as mentioned above, but then you can always tell tell yourself or signifigant other that hogs are so tough and mean that the .308 is a bit small and a .300 would be "better"...I like the sound of it anyway. :)

Before y'all scoff too loudly, you might want to talk to folks who kill lots of hogs every year. I've heard more than one of them state that 308 doesn't always leave a large enough exit wound to allow tracking in dense brush. These folks seem to prefer things like shotgun slugs, and they kill enough hogs to know of what they speak.

The 308 has plenty of power. but you still have to make a good shot! Ask Rich about his north Texas hog that he shot. I really like the mini 30 in 7.62x39 with HPs for hogs. the 7.62 makes about the same power as the 30-30. A well placed shot is everything. I saw a guy hit a hog broudside at an angle with a 30-30. The bullet went in right at the ribs and came out at the shoulder on the same side of the hog. All it did was piss off the hog. I've killed many hogs and I always go for a neck and head shot. Most of the time it's a neck shot. It will drop them in there tracks. If you go on a hog hunt good luck! It's loads of fun!

hoghuntsized.jpg

The story that goes with the picture

SR420 I have a M1A loaded that I would love to trick out and make look like your gun. I shot it two weeks ago with match ammo and open sights! WOW that gun shoots good.

SR420..........

Keep in mind that javelinas sure as heck ain't hogs. Yer picture shows javelinas and javelinas make real good eatin' but they don't have anything at all to do with hogs.

If you follow the link you will find "airbiscuit" -- he hunts with 2 different M1A's and he has bagged many a large hog with the M1A/Port combo.
He has an 18" M1A that has become his rifle of choice.

Impact, thank you for the kind words about my rifle - it is currently getting the full Crazy Horse treatment from Ron Smith @ Smith Enterprise Inc.
I should have it back in my hands in about 2 weeks.

Also, I made a deal this morning to aquire the correct DC Vortex can :cool: -- I am told the paperwork will take about 6 months...
just in time for Christmas :D

Wanted, Dead or Alive!

SKS, for hogs is pretty popular in Texas, along with the .30-30. At about 150 yards, it's a Redneck's idea of a dangerous big game hunt. I have an SKS, mainly for that reason. :D

A 150 gr. .308 is plenty, anything heavier is up to you Trigger! ;)

BTW, if you want real adventure and some green for your trouble. Hogs are bringing $.80 a pound where I live. Provided they're still alive! ;)

I've seen more than a couple elk shot with a 308 and 180 grain bullets, out to 250 yards. 308 is more than enough for any hog walking this planet if you use a good bullet and good shot placement.

The guys that are down on the 308 are problably the same ones or hunt with guys that buy whatever is cheapest at walmart and head out to hunt.

Probably the same wizards who "harvest" whitetails @ 50 yds. with .300 Win Mags and 7mm Mags.
The guys that are down on the 308 are problably the same ones or hunt with guys that buy whatever is cheapest at walmart and head out to hunt.
You know, y'all can be so uncomfortably smug sometimes.... :confused:

The guys that I hear tell me that they think 308 is a bit light for hog hunting are the ones with likely more cajones that anyone on this thread (myself included) - the kind who hunt hogs on foot in the southern brush with dogs and spears. When they bring a firearm along, it's generally to drop a really big hog that's swirling in the mess of dogs-n-brush-n-dust. When they drop it, they need to drop it NOW before it hurts one of the dogs too badly (no waiting for the perfect neck shot), and they need to make sure that if it runs they can follow a good blood trail rather than let it die a slow death unrecovered in the thickets. To hear them tell things, hogs are really good at self-sealing exit wounds and subsequently being very difficult to track. They tell me that 308 works pretty well, but that every now and again it just doesn't have enough oomph to give a solid north-to-south wound channel or to blast enough of a plug out the other side to ensure that the piggie leaves a good trail to follow.

I dunno - I've never done it myself. I've got lots of friends here in NoTX that hunt hogs with SKS's and AK's and 30-30's. But they're all also hunting from stands and don't really care too much about tracking a potentially wounded animal. Heck - that's mean that they'd have to get down in the dust and thorns with some pissed-off piggies and they surely don't want to do THAT. :rolleyes:

My attitude is that when somebody that's dropped literally hundreds and hundreds of hogs from a boots-on-the-ground position advises me to 'think big' in terms of bore diameter, I tend to listen....

Your call.

The guy's pictured above hunt at night, on foot without dogs.
The 7.62mmx51 NATO works just fine for them.

And that's super - there's clearly more experience shown in that picture than I've got.

But I'd also like to point out that not one of the peccary's shown in that picture is over 60lbs. What I'd find far more compelling is to have you tell me how that 7.62x51 worked for you on a fast raking shot on a highly motivated 150lb pig....

rbernie I guess then you won't hunt hogs with me if you are chicken! :D I use a mini with a 5 round mag because it is easy to drag around when I'm on my hands and knees in thick brush :eek: and oh yah! Snakes. I had people tell me where there are pigs there are no snakes! BS! One day in cut-shoot hog hunting crawling through some brush I almost put my hand on a snake. Got a good look at the snake. I just took a small stick and flicked the snake off to the side. When I got home I looked up the snake in one of my books. I didn't know there was such a thing as a two tone gray copperhead :eek: Snakes don't scare me but because of that I fear I'm going to get snake bit one of these days. So I try to be carefull.

They tell me that 308 works pretty well, but that every now and again it just doesn't have enough oomph to give a solid north-to-south wound channel or to blast enough of a plug out the other side to ensure that the piggie leaves a good trail to follow.

On any given day, any bullet can 'not get the job done'...If a .308 with the proper bullet can take an elk at 200 yards, it surely can take a hog. IDGAF how big the hog is...a .308 with a 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet will kill a bear...for crying out loud! These are the same people that say that an 06 can kill anything in North America, but the .308 is just marginal. What a bunch of sh!t.

Back