Was charged by a bear tonight.

Huffing and chomping = full charge or false charge

don't want to make that choice: I'm not good at multiple choice guessing. You're only allowed to make that mistake once.

Glad you're ok, Irish. I think you had a good plan a by taking the .357.

Probably the bear was as jacked up on adrenaline as you were after the dogs took off after it, so who is to say what what going through its head.

Hopefully, he'll just remember that your place is one frightening, dangerous place.

Good for you, hope that taught the bear not to mess with humans or their stuff, thats what they do for habituated bears hope it works. Back when I got out of college no one wore hearing protection, I lived out in the woods (nearest neighbor over 2 miles) so I set up a shooting range off our carport (concrete block house with 2 car stalls open front and back) I had just started to get into large pistols (.357, 41mag, 44mag and 45 long colt, worst was 30 carbine single action) and I shot rain or shine. When it rained I got under the carport. That was 36 years ago and the constant buzzing is still with me. Now I use something whenever I shoot (except when hunting).

Brent, I know I can rely on you to find the interesting stuff. Yes, that is almost exactly the sound I hear 24/7. It started when I fired my 357 without ear protection. Or was it the 45 ACP? Or the 22-250? Maybe the 7mm or the 8mm. Probably not the 243, I was using ear protection by then. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 357 Herrett or the 44 Mag, they gave me headaches even with ear protection. Anyway, you get the idea, use ear protection before it's too late.

Scorch, In my laptop and remote speakers, I tune down volume to about 1/3rd to equal my level in my ears...

I showed it to wifey to give her an idea of what I mean by "ringing ears" as she had no idea... When I got it dialed in, her jaw dropped and she looked at me like I was a sorrowful car hit puppy dog... and said... "You poor thing...":D

The first time I really rang them good, it was with grammas .30-06 deer rifle.

I was far shorter than the rifle I remember...

Brent

Glad you are alright and having a good wife that can handle a shotgun is a plus. You think that .357 was loud, you should hear one go off in a small 175 sqaure foot building....:eek:

you should hear one go off in a small 175 sqaure foot building....
...A METAL ONE...

Done it in metal Sears type shed or slightly larger a few times with .410 and rimfires... Once with a 9mm.

Brent

is this the truth? you are charged by aggressive grizzly, have no gun,what do you do?

I could be wrong and would love to be corrected or hear more info from an expert or someone with experience due to incidents and/or where they were raised but:

from what I understand you can survive a bear attack by charging if charged and/or standing your ground raising your hands and going toe to toe with a bear. this is the oxymoron here....the chances of being able to have the guts, grit, and courage to do this with a growling mouth open bear is something that seems Near Impossible to me, but from what I understand you can survive if you do it??????? obviously running your dead especially if a startled bear starts charging and a little better but not what I like is huddling and playing dead? yes, if attacked it is definitely better to not resist and shut up...I give serious credit to someone who can not yelp in pain and take it til he/her stops, but is going toe to toe the truth?????? even if it was you can't flinch at all and you are a better man than me if you can do it(I'm talking face to face....not at a distance with a bear just looking at you

Now, I don't know about all that... I would have to test that a few times with some guards with big dern guns in case it didn't work...:eek:

Other wise, I am soilin' drawers while doin' whatever my and mind conger up in that instant...

Brent

"From what I understand you can survive a bear attack by charging if charged and/or standing your ground raising your hands."
You are partly right but your thought is incomplete. When a bear is meanacing it will raise up on it hind legs. IT is at that time you would be doing the same thing as the bear. Raise your arms and yell loudly at the bear to make yourself seem bigger then you are. Bears are not real confrontational and would rather run off then fight unless cubs are involved or they are really hungry and you are between them and their food.

Rule #9: If someone thinks they have the upper hand; break it.

Fight. Always fight. Whether its a bluff charge or a real one the bear, to a certain degree, believes they have the upper hand. In all actuality, they do. So break their will to fight. It's not terribly difficult if the bear is not intent on eating you... A little yelling and posturing will normally send the curious/bluffing bear on its way.

If the bear is intent on eating you, well... You don't have many options. Fight or flight, and you can't outrun it. So fight.

The key to any encounter with any creature intent on doing you harm is to break their will to fight. Sometimes you do that by killing it, other times you put up enough of a fight that they move on to an easier target. In either case, you will likely not come out the other side of the encounter unscathed.

You think that .357 was loud, you should hear one go off in a small 175 sqaure foot building....
You should hear a 7mm go off inside a pickup cab! Do you have any idea how bright it gets for just an instant?

who was maybe 2 or 3 years old and maybe 200 lbs max

The young ones are nearly always the troublemakers as they have only been recently booted from the sow and aren't quite up to functioning on their own like the older bears do. As a result they sometimes take the easy way and head toward populated areas.

When a bear is meanacing it will raise up on it hind legs

Most often they do this because are trying to see better. If they drop down on all fours and drop their head a charge is imminent. Stand your ground.

Back