Wanting a .308 target rifle.

I've been shooting a .308 Savage 112 BVSS for years, accurate, stainless fluted barrel, trigger reworked, bedded stock and a Leupold 24x scope. Hits that gong at 500 yards without a problem. It cost a lot less than $1500. Just saying.

Attachments

• sav308.jpg
    sav308.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 30
The Remmington 700 SPS Varmint is a good start. Get use to the rifle, then start making changes, trigger & stock will help tightening your groups.

I am with the others for that price range look for a Remington 700P (700 Police model).

I had a 700P .308, and I had a 700P LTR in 6.8SPC, and a Remington Tactical (pre-SPS) in 6.8SPC before. All were GREAT shooters, even with the limited commercial available loads of the 6.8.

The 700P can be had in .223 or .308 for right around a grand, gives you extra money for mounts, a decent optic, reloading/ammo, ect.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-700-police-308-5709-047700257099.aspx

Don't forget cz! They make their varmint model only in a laminated stock now (which is better than plain wood) but you can get the rifle, buy a HS Precision Stock and still be under budget with money left for your scope.

I haven't been able to put mine together, but if you do a lil googling you'll find a lot of cz owners shooting some very nice groups out of the box

I love CZ guns, but the lack of aftermarket for them wouldn't make them my choice for a LR or target rig.

Remington or Savage you can build it with practically anything you want.

Savage is nice even though build quality is a little on the cheaper side, you don't need to be a gun smith to change the barrel.

That's true of CZ but for me at least there really isn't anythign I'd change on it except the stock so non issue. Same with my Model 70.

I bought an .308 Rem. SPS because I wanted an accurate rifle. The stock went first, then the trigger. Initially I was intending to put a Shilen barrel on it, but the factory one shot so well that there was no need. Best I got out of the bone stock version was 11/16" @ 100, which was decent. It shoots much better now. The addition of the B&C Medalist stock made the big difference.

rifle

Shop around.....I have seen more than one or two Remington 40X for sale right at $1500 (though, mostly, they are priced much higher than that).

About suppressors: very cool.
I'm guessing you've never actually shot a suppressed rifle before, because then you'd see how practical and useful they are.
I have shot suppressed firearms. Kinda neat for sure but, for general shooting, I don't see that they are any more useful or practical than an unsuppressed firearm.
Pete

as others have already said, optics are important and the cost of good glass is well worth the investment.

I have both the Savage BVSS 112 and a T3 Tactical in .308. Both are excellent and accurate. Both sport optics that cost more than the rifles they are resting on. The T3 is shot almost always suppressed.

My second "precision" rifle was a Remington 700 SS 5R. Bedded it in a McMA4 and it turned out to be a laser. Rebarreled it to .260 because I am a dumbass, and then eventually sold it. For a factory tube it would run neck and neck with most customs.

Back