Wanting a .308 target rifle.

Flynhghr2001

Inactive
Is the Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical a good choice for a decent target rifle.
Or any other recommendations with a maximum $1500 range?

I'm leaning toward versions with the threaded muzzle for suppressor use.

I have a Remington 700P and it shoots pretty good. I have shot a bunch of Berger 175 gr. VLD over H380 that really shoot quite well. My rifle will shoot best with the bullets about -.065 off the lands.

SPS M700's are entry level hunting rifles. The silly 'tactical' part of the name is marketing and nothing more. An SPS would be a starting point for a target rifle though. Lots of 'em built on Rem 700 actions, but out of the box, target rifles they ain't. Out of the box an SPS would do nicely if you're not thinking formal match shooting though.
Suspect a Savage F Class would shoot circles around an SPS with the right ammo. Very hard to beat any Savage for out of the box accuracy.
Forget the suppressor. Not allowed in any serious target matches. Mall Ninja things anyway.

The SPS to me has always been over-hyped. I would get a ADL and modified as required for a full target rifle. Lets face it, Remington barrels are ok, triggers (not going there), stocks eh, but the actions, very capable. These things have been built in more configurations than I'd like to even think about. The parts are out there for you to build a rifle that you want. Not some cookie cutter that you'll see 3-7 just like it at the range.

My experience with the Remington 700 SPS Varmint is that the stock and trigger keep it from being the accurate rifle it could be.
I changed to a Timney trigger set a 2 lbs and a pillar bedded stock and the accuracy went from 6.5-7 inches at 100 yards to 0.5 inches.

Basic rifle purchase = $436 on clearance at Dick's Sporting Goods.
Timney trigger (sale)= $79
B&C Medalist stock = $ 249
Total ( improved ) = $ 764

Two Savage Model 10 LE models - out of the box $ 800 ea. (set adjustable Accu-Triggers at 2 lbs)
Both shoot slightly better than the modified Remington, but not by much.

Well, I must have gotten a cherry, my SPS Tact not modified put up two inch group with hornady whitetail ammo at 100 yards... Working on the 308 after deer season. It's a great platform. Great entry rifle for learning.

Find one of the older heavy barreled Remingtons that came with the HS Precision stocks.

Every one I've had experience with was a great shooter out of the box with the right ammo

If you want a model 700 get the ADL Varmint and spend the rest of that $1500 on a good stock, bedding job, and trigger. The Hogue stock on the SPS tactical would be ok to hunt with but it's junk for a target rifle.

A Savage model 12 BVSS would be another good starting point for a target rifle. Better factory stock and trigger than the Remington. The 12 Bench Rest and F/TR are a little more expensive but have longer, heavier barrels and a 1:12 twist rate vs. the BVSS's 1:10.

I once had a 12 BVSS in .223 but I traded it because I have a Savage Axis in .223 that shoots slightly better. That's nothing against the Model 12 because the Axis is way more accurate than it should be

PS: I'm not telling you to get an Axis for a target rifle

Last edited:
Guess that depends on what sort of target shooting you intend to do. There are few out of the box factory rifles which are well suited for sling shooting, or cross the course shooting in 308 unless one chooses an M1 or M1a in that chambering. A bolt gun will almost certainly require a purpose built and designed stock to shoot slung well.

I have come to appreciate my CZ550 Varminter with a medium heavy, rather long, tube in 308. Seems to be a good all around rifle. It will accept the 10 round magazines from their sniper rifle too, which makes it a bit more versatile.

Target rifle?

What targets will you be shooting at, from what positions and how far away?

What's the most (millimeters, inches, feet?) you want to miss your point of aim when you shoot?

Money spent on "target" rifles in the usual sense is best put into barrels, trued up and bedded actions, good bullets and good reloading tools. Low cost decent stocks and sights are fine; they'll enable great accuracy a long, long ways away.

Remington 700 LTR (light tactical rifle) The have a HS Precision stock, free floating, fluted barrel of 20". Great 800 yard rifle. Mine likes the 168gr SMK, absolutely loves the 168gr Amax, and shoots the 165gr Speer BTSP almost as well as the SMK. These loads are all u der .5 MOA at 100 yards with handloads I run. Factory SMK in 168gr, and the BVAC 168gr Amax also do extremely well. I have no lroblems consistently hitting softballs and spray paint cans at 500 yards.

If you are serious about 1000 yard shooting I recommend going with a longer barrel and 1:11 twist to stabilize the heavier bullets better (175gr & 178gr). The Remington. 700 LTR is brother to the 700P, and I think it's the best you can do for $900 - 1000k. I enjoyed shooting it more than the Sako TRG42 I used to have for the sole reason of barrel heat. The 300 mag heats up barrels fast, and the 308 does very well at sustained courses of fire. Just something you may want to consider when choosing your rifle.

T. O'Heir said:
Forget the suppressor. Not allowed in any serious target matches. Mall Ninja things anyway.
He never said he wanted to do competition. And suppressors are for mall ninjas? That's a new one for sure! I'm guessing you've never actually shot a suppressed rifle before, because then you'd see how practical and useful they are.

Is the Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical a good choice for a decent target rifle.

Or any other recommendations with a maximum $1500 range?

I'm leaning toward versions with the threaded muzzle for suppressor use.

Check out the Sig SSG 3000, I've placed first in steel matches with this rifle, running against all kinds of custom rigs to boot.

The platform has excellent reviews and is a real tack driver. On top of that GRS is coming out with a chassis system for it as well.

Barrel is threaded and is user removable via three set screws. My local smith is now carrying the barrel nuts/adapters so the possibilities of what caliber you want is endless.

I smoked a groundhog this spring at 535 yards with it, along with shooting many steel matches. Up to 700 yards gets boring shooting it. Reaching out to 1000 will definitely test your ability but the rifle is fully capable if it.

$1500 to spend?

Might look at the Tikkas. The Sporter and Tactical models are in your price range. Basically about half the price of a Sako TRG-22 but with most of the benefits and features

Study the offerings on gunbroker. Have seem some fine model 70 Winchesters setup for highpower competition sold on there. Custom barrel and stock, very fine rifles. Search on .308 match. Might find a nice Steyr 64. Then there are the FN-Herstal Patrol and Police models. Very nice and in your price range. Herstal models have match chromelined barrel, long barrel life and the Police come with a McMillan stock. Basic Police model is in your price range.

Might find a Sako Varmint. Now that would be Nice!

Happy gun-hunting! Don't forget to budget some decent money for your scope and mount system...

$1500 will get you a nice shooting rifle and a decent scope.....Do not discount the importance of quality glass for target shooting.

This rifle

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx

or this one for a little more money

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12bvss

plus a scope similar to this will put you well on your way to what your looking for.......

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1320176604/nikon-monarch-3-rifle-scope-6-24x-50mm

Just keep your expectations real.....When people talk about getting their factory rifles to shoot >.5 MOA take it with a grain of salt. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but it sure seems much more prevalent on the internet than it is at the range.....

How far out do you want to reach? They don't make them anymore but I picked up a used Sportsman 78 last year. I changed the stock (started to crack), the trigger (just for personal preference) and threw on a Nikon scope and I can take it out to 500 consistently and 600-625 on a good day. I spent about $700 total when I was all done. Rifle was about $300.

Back