want to get into the long range stuff

As to scopes, check out the Vortex line. Some are very reasonably priced and are exceptional optics. Plus you wont find a better warrantee.

Just got the Midway flyer and they have the Vortex 6.5-20 x 44 on sale with free shipping for $330. They (Vortex) started closing these out some time ago- to keep just the 50mm in the lineup I assume, looks like Midway has the rest of them. Can't beat this deal, or the Vortex warranty.

g.willikers said:
It seems like it's the old question of the chicken or the egg.
Before trying to figure out what stuff to buy, gotta' ask, how is your rifle shooting skill?

Maybe, but in reality most folks can probably get their feet wet in medium and long range shooting without buying anything. If you own a bolt action centerfire hunting rifle, you can most likely shoot steel out to 500 yards without too much difficulty. 800 and beyond maybe not, most scopes do not have the elevation to get on target, but you can still challenge yourself and your equipment without spending any money.

I have posted this before, it is me shooting a steel IPSC target at 470 yards with a K98 with iron sights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWOePGiaBcM Once I got the elevation hold figured, I went 3 for 3.

This is shooting the same target at ~700 yards with a 3.5X scope. Little more challenging because the ammo wasn't great, and the conditions were a little trickier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lqKEugctjg

A lot of people seem to think that shooting that far is some sort of witchcraft, it really isn't, just physics. The tricky part is reading the wind, but that just takes practice. A LOT of practice.

Please note, I am talking about shooting targets, not game. Getting the range or the wind wrong on steel means you kick up some dust. Getting it wrong on a deer means a cripple that will eventually get eaten by coyotes.

"...killing tangos..." A 'tango' is a tank.
"...most 1" tube hunting scopes..." A great deal depends on the course of fire. A lot of competitive shooting doesn't allow optics at all.
Like emcon5 says, what you call long range may not be. 600 plus is long range to serious target shooters. However, the black at 600 + is 24" diameter with a 6" X ring and 12" 10 ring. Wouldn't surprise me if your Axis(is 1 in 9) with the right ammo and you being able to read the wind and mirage would do that without much fuss. Even though it's a hunting rifle. A Weaver 3-9x40 will do if optics are allowed. A scope does nothing to make a rifle a shoot better. Just lets you see the target better.
The really important part is for you to go shoot the matches and not worry about placing or what rifle you have. Everybody has to start someplace and match shooting is likely the most fun you'll ever have. You'll meet some very pleasant people who will go out of their way to help you too.

If you haven't looked at it yet, play a bit with the JBM ballistics calculator. It gives you a great idea for the capabilities of a given round under your typical conditions. Also shows nicely where your round will transition to subsonic; for most people that's about as far as you want to go with it.
To me the most important factor was the ability to predict wind influence. On any given day the wind on our range varies by 20 mph, high desert near mountains. As I also like to aim for "first shot hit", I use a 308 210 Berger VLD at 2800 ft/s as a "low wind sensitivity" round, and use a Nightforce 5.5-22 with target turrets.
On the other hand if you're in an area with low or steady winds and don't mind working your way onto the target you're just fine with your 223 or 6 mm and a simple cross hair scope in the 12x range. You probably want to have a spotter anyway with a larger glass.

I don't think he is talking about competing. He said:

iceman320 said:
for now I would like to start out shooting at steel at 4-500 yards.

There is no reason he cannot do that with the equipment he already owns. Good handloads with the highest BC match bullets he can get to work in his rifle will certainly make things easier, but it is doable even with the ammo he has.

Challenging, but doable.

UUmmmm….. we shoot iron-sighted [receiver and tang] .22RF at a 9" gong at 300 yards. All of the rifles used were made before 1955 [oldest 1896]. They all go "DING!" on a very regular basis.

Does this count ???

69gr OTM Sierra Matchking will do fine in your rifle.

They'll shoot nicely out to 500 yards in your bolt gun.

If you don't have a scope yet, I would recommend getting something with Mil-Dot or Mil-Hash, with hand adjustable turrets, matched adjustments to the reticle (why they make anything other than that is a historical curiosity more than practical anymore.) A scope that I am quite happy with is the Vortex Viper PST. It's got a great deal of features for the $$.

Your .223 can get you fundamentally sound out to 500 or 600 yards without much difficulty. It doesn't buck the wind as nicely as 308, but it's fine for what you want to do.

If you decide you want a rifle with a little more potential, the 6mm and 6.5mm are the rage right now.

I would recommend you look at the Precision Rifle Blog, and Snipershide forum. Good information on this game out there.

If you do decide to step into a new rig, the new Ruger Precision Rifle is a pretty nice setup, quite honestly.

If your going to get into long range the 6.5 Creedmoor in a bolt action like the Savage 12 LRP the 223 is a nice round, needs a fast twist. Still can't compare to the 6.5 CM if your serious in going long.

Back