want to get into the long range stuff

iceman320

as the title implies I would like to get into the long range shooting, and would like to know what caliber would be good for getting into the long range type of shooting? i have a savage axis chambered in .223 right now but what would be it's limit as far as long range shooting? thanks for your help guys, and hope to here back.

Others will chime in, but I wouldn't push a .223 beyond 500yds (if that). Longer ranges are best handled by bigger diameter projectiles in order to extend the range that they remain supersonic. .300 Win mag is a good one for affordable distance shooting. Anything bigger diameter gets expensive fast.

If your Axis is 1:9 twist, depending on your environment, you may be able to shoot the Hornady 75 AMAX, which would be fine to 600 yards, maybe farther.

If you are wanting a new rifle, look at the various 6.5mm offerings available, such as the 6.5 Creedmoor or the .260 Remington. You get all the performance of the 300 Win Mag for less expense and recoil.

Also, you may want to clarify what you mean by "long range stuff", as many people have differing opinions of that that means. Are you wanting to just ring steel at 4-500 yards, you are probably fine with the rifle you own. If you want to compete in 1000 yard F-Class matches you will probably need a different platform.

for now I would like to start out shooting at steel at 4-500 yards. I will find out what twist rate my .223 rifle is and post back with that info. ok found out the twist rate of my 223 savage and it is 1:9.25 and right now I am shooting 55 grain bullets out of it?

Last edited:
The tactical designated marksman of the United States Marines Corps and United States Army have been killing tangos well over 700 meters out with their SAM-Rs and DMRs.

Use a 20" barrel and a 77 grain OTM round.

It can easily be done.

True, but his twist is 9.25 so that ain't gonna work. You could make some hits on large steel way out there with a 68-69 that might shoot well in his rifle (or might not), but it'd be *much* easier with a 6mm of some flavor. .243 Win is plenty good enough (with 10 twist) if your max is 500 to 600 yards. Or better yet a 7.5 twist with 115 DTACs - then you're good for way out there.

Do you handload?

If not, try the Federal 69 gr match, or any match ammo loaded with ~69 gr bullets.

I think Black Hills and Maybe Privi Partizan make 75 match ammo, they would be better, but may or may not stabilize in a 1:9 barrel.

If you do handload, try the Hornady 75 AMAX.

You can shoot 500 yards using 55 gr or 62 gr FMJ, it will just be much more challenging in the wind, and not always obvious if you make a hit.

As far as the range a 223 is capable of, there are many shooters (myself included) who have fired thousands of rounds of 223/5.56 at 600 yds quite successfully (anyone who shoots NRA High Power or DCM Military Match courses has done so). And (mind blower) there are shooters who compete with 223s at 1,000 yds.

As far as long range, "long range" starts at 600 yds and goes out from there. Work up to it.

As for what scope to buy, get a good, clear scope with enough magnification. A 4-12X will do to get you started, but you may want a bit more power as you move further out as your experience grows. By then you will be looking at a different rifle, and you can pick a scope that works with that rifle at that time.

As to scopes, check out the Vortex line. Some are very reasonably priced and are exceptional optics. Plus you wont find a better warrantee.

I use a Vortex 6X24 on my Model 70 target rifle in 308 for precision rifle matches. Its quick to put on the lower power to find the target (which is often hard to find past 1000 yards) the power up to shoot.

They are quite popular in PLR shooting.

I to agree with using your 223 to get started. I shot may HP matches including NRA HP matches with my AR (White Oak) upper. But I like the 1:7 twist beyond 600 yards.

What scope do you have now? I have shot out to 1000 yards with a 3.5X on a WW2 Mosin Nagant PU Sniper.

For 600 yards, I would expect most 1" tube hunting scopes will work, provided you have enough elevation adjustment to get on target. A high power scope with target turrets is certainly nice to have, but is not mandatory.

If your current scope can't get there, you can get a tapered scope mount, unfortunately it looks like Leupold doesn't make theirs (which is excellent and cheap) for the Axis, but this would work:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/89...e-20-moa-elevated-base-savage-axis-edge-matte

Nice thing about using the .223 is that the recoil is mild enough that you won't come off target and can spot your own shots through the scope.

I shoot the 6MMBR. Sightron 8-32 x 56 fine crosshair. Works very well. FYI- a 6MMBR with a 1/7 twist will handle 115 gn dtacs, but not with any success so to say. You can not get enough powder into the case to throw it fast enough with out going way over max powder charge and destroying case's. I shoot 107 gn Serria Match in mine and I have taken it out to 1400 yards. As someone stated earlier in a post, not a great time. Bullet will go sub sonic before it gets to 1400 yards. Now with a 95 gn Burger or possably a 105 gn you could get there. If you are going for real accuracy i would suggest staying away from the big bore calibers, 7MM, ect. While they will shoot the distance easy, they are not really accurate so to say. Look at 6M, all the 6.5's, 30BRX, ect. Those will be your best choices. Also the 308 is another great rifle for up to 1200 yards for paper punching. As for scope power- I would go no less then 32 power min. You can shoot that distance with a smaller power, but why comprimise your shooting because of it.

As far as the range a 223 is capable of, there are many shooters (myself included) who have fired thousands of rounds of 223/5.56 at 600 yds quite successfully (anyone who shoots NRA High Power or DCM Military Match courses has done so). And (mind blower) there are shooters who compete with 223s at 1,000 yds.

As far as long range, "long range" starts at 600 yds and goes out from there. Work up to it. * * *

Sort of agree, as I've done the high-power/DCM/CMP competition shooting for a long time too - from the Nat'l Matches at Perry to various local club matches.

Learning to shoot accurately to 500yds isn't "long range." All you're mastering there is the basics of marksmanship to reach the outside limit of the old "Rifleman's Quartermile." That was considered to be the standard training distance for acquiring the fundamentals of marksmanship, being subdivided by practicing from an initial distance and zero of 100yds, then from there practicing to shoot well to 200yds, then to 300yds, and so on.

The Johnny Appleseed program does this training today for young shooters, and some oldsters too.

If you've already got your 500-yds-and-under shooting skills honed, then it's time to get into what most veteran shooters would consider long(er) range shooting, which would be 600-1000yds, although arguably a lot of competitors in the tactical "sniper" competitions & L.R. matches would include shooting out to 1200-1500yds, if that distance is available.

Last edited:
The scope that I have now is a weaver 3-9x40. But does not have the numbered turrets.
Target turrets are definitely nice, but are not mandatory, what is more important is repeatable click adjustments.

When you turn your knobs, it is a positive "click" correct? If not, start shopping for a scope with target turrets.

If yes, set up a good sized square target at 100 yards, and shoot a group in the bottom right corner.

Go up 20 clicks, shoot another group.
Go left 20 clicks, shoot another group.
Go down 20 clicks, shoot another group.
Go right 20 clicks, shoot another group. This group should be on top of your first group. If it is not, then start shopping for a new scope. Actually, for the elevation changes, 40 clicks would be better.

Running the numbers real fast for the Federal 69gr Gold Medal Match you will have about 11 MOA of drop at 500 yards from your 100 Yard zero, pretty much any decent scope should be able to do that, the only pain in the butt is counting 44 clicks, and remembering to remove the 44 clicks to put it back to 100 yard zero when you are done.

The tricky bit will always be the wind, you will have about 28" of drift in a 10 MPH full value wind. For comparison, a 6.5 Creedmoor will have about 16" in the same conditions.

It seems like it's the old question of the chicken or the egg.
Before trying to figure out what stuff to buy, gotta' ask, how is your rifle shooting skill?

Back