Want to buy a New Gun in a New Caliber.

On your budget, and since you're now leaning toward 1911 in 45ACP, I would go with Springfield Armory. I love my stainless Loaded model.

I have found mine to be easy on the eyes, out-of-the-box deadly accurate and reliable. Never a failure of any kind with everything I've fed it...with the two factory mags and several extras from Wilson Combat.

934F50FE-0BF5-415B-B95A-6B944204451B_zpswlfd7rfw.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is your budget is too small....not enough to cover a used Model 29.....now if you really want to man up add a few grand more and maybe someone might part with an Auto Mag that has been sitting collecting dust.........not mine though.

Had to look up an Automag. Like most guns it was a little before my time. I would love one of those, but 6,000 is a little out of my price range.

If you are going to do a Glock in 10mm, go Straight to the G40.

Why? It does give a minor gain in FPS, which always helps...
the real reason is that you will NEVER be satisfied with the shorter length now that the 6.02" Longslide is available,
slightly more forgiving to shoot (Longer sight radius) and at the same price as the G20/sf...

It is a hunter's pistol, takes all game in North Amerca if you do your part.
As an OhSquish gun for Camping/Hiking, its Perfect :)

At the range...set the sights to 75 yards, ring the gongs at 125 with a 1" high hold.

And...it has The Boom :)

e3a4875aebb38f98ba2549914fdff103.jpg

I'd been reading a thread recently that attracted A LOT of interest and debate about the potential of the 10mm and, whilst great, what I've read tells me it simply isn't close to the potential of .44Mag.

Depends on the package. The velocity numbers you see for 44 mag are from 8" test barrels. The velocity numbers you see for 10mm are from actual 4.5 or 5" guns.

To get a 44 magnum in the same size package as a typical 10mm you have to chop the barrel down to 3". If you compare the numbers from a 44 mag with a 3" barrel to the better 10mm loads from 4.5-5" barrels the energy numbers are about the same. With the best loads 44 still wins, but by a very narrow margin. I have the option of both, the very slight real world advantage of 44 mag isn't worth the added recoil, blast and weight to carry around.

Now if you want to lug around a 6" or 8" 44 magnum, then 10mm can't come close. But if I need a handgun that big I'd literally rather carry a rifle.

Let's not make this more complicated than it is.

10mm power, overall, generally, is

-just a smidge over .357 mag
-just a smidge or two under .41 mag
-significantly short of the .44 mag or .45 colt

And I'm a huge 10mm fan... can't wait to shoot my Tanfoglio Witness 6" 10mm tomorrow!

https://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/witness-hunter/

Side Note: It's really a shame that the Glock model 40 was not chambered in .22 - that would have made for some good "Who's on first?" style material.

Last edited:
Back