Want to buy a New Gun in a New Caliber.

stokesj19

So I want to buy a new gun like always, but this time I want a new caliber.
Here are the guns I am thinking about
SuperRedHawk with a 2.5 barrell in 44 mag
Budget 1911 >$1000
Sig P220
Glock 20 or 40
Or Nominate another gun if you don't like anything above.

+1 for a Glock 20 or 40.

I haven't bought one yet, but 10mm is a very attractive cartridge and it's on my list to buy eventually (that or a Kimber/Dan Wesson 10mm).

The Colt Delta Elite is nice but the case support is a little poor for powerful 10mm loads.

Most 10mm loads are basically 40 S&W, but you can get loads closer to the original 10mm specification (close to 44 Magnum!). It's a very versatile cartridge from plinking to self-defense to carrying/hunting in the woods.

Here are some 10mm loads:

American Eagle (180 Grain)
Muzzle Energy: 449 ft. lbs.

Winchester Super-X (175 Grain)
Muzzle Energy: 649 ft. lbs.

Underwood (180 Grain)
Muzzle Energy: 728 ft. lbs.

As a comparison:

.44 Magnum
American Eagle (240 Grain)
Muzzle Energy: 742 ft. lbs.

.40 S&W
American Eagle (180 Grain)
Muzzle Energy: 392 ft. lbs.

i vote for a 1911. solid, proven platform, and i think they're super fun to shoot. with a thousand bucks to spend you could get a nice Springfield "loaded" or if you like a little more old school the "mil-spec" and have a bit of money left over for ammo :D

original 10mm specification (close to 44 Magnum!).

I'd been reading a thread recently that attracted A LOT of interest and debate about the potential of the 10mm and, whilst great, what I've read tells me it simply isn't close to the potential of .44Mag.

From Underwood:
Not Ruger Only but still hot:
305gn
Muzzle Velocity: 1325 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1189 ft. lbs.

Regular 200gn:
Muzzle Velocity: 1650 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1209 ft. lbs.

10mm
LFN 200gn
Muzzle Velocity: 1250 fps
Muzzle Energy: 694 ft. lbs.

So, IMO, mainstream factory loads are not indicative of what cartridge can truly do, whilst the more extreme end of the commercial market show what reloaders can achieve...

Having said that, I'm not trying to start a calibre war tangential to the thread, but rather differ in opinion about the above statement. Will those figures make any difference to anything under Moose and Grizzly? Not a jot of difference.

More relevantly, I'd also second the choice of a 10mm handgun. They sound like a truly fabulous option.

Does the OP reload?

Last edited:
If forced to stay on list, I like the Sig 220.

If you want to get into a "new" caliber, consider .327 Federal Magnum. The 4" Sp101 in current production offers good velocity and a near perfect weight balance for shooting that hot little round. Being a .32 super magnum, you get a six-shooter on a slender frame too. :)

Want to buy a New Gun in a New Caliber.
So I want to buy a new gun like always, but this time I want a new caliber.
Here are the guns I am thinking about
SuperRedHawk with a 2.5 barrell in 44 mag
Budget 1911 >$1000
Sig P220
Glock 20 or 40
Or Nominate another gun if you don't like anything above.
Sig P226, EMP .40, Hk P2000, HkP7, PF-9, P-83, Kahr P40,S&W MODEL 64, BERETTA NANO, GLOCK 26, S&W BODYGUARD .38, Buckmark .22, LR308, SAVAGE 17HMR, REMINGTON 870, STOEGER M3500, MARLIN SEMI 22 AND GRANDFATHERS 20 GAUGE, AND DOUBLE BARREL 12 GAUGE.

Your signature line shows a whole bunch of very sensible stuff. Sooo, hmmm.

The Sig P200 is also sensible. So is the 1911. The SRH you;d probably end up shooting light .44 Mag handloads, or .44 Special in, so also sensible.

I vote the Glock 10mm. Or, better yet, a Star Megastar in 10mm. :eek:

Let me give you one piece of advise about a short .44 mag. Shoot one first before you buy. My .44 mag is a 5" and I personally would not want one any shorter than that. Even at 5", the muzzle blast and noise is bad. Shorter becomes horrendous.

Those snub nosed .44s were designed with a primary purpose - hiking/fishing in bear country. For ordinary use, you'll probably find that they just aren't practical.

You don't specify what your use will be, so I'd suggest a Ruger Blackhawk Flat Top in .44 Special. Truly a delight to shoot, very accurate, and a handsome gun all in one package.

Bob Wright

I'd been reading a thread recently that attracted A LOT of interest and debate about the potential of the 10mm and, whilst great, what I've read tells me it simply isn't close to the potential of .44Mag.

Apologizes. .44 Magnum to me = S&W revolvers.

I'd feel okay using Underwood 10mm in any semi-auto other than a Delta Elite, but I only consider standard "big name" .44 Magnum suitable when talking about N-frames. Since the Underwood 10mm comes close to factory "big name" .44 Magnum, I consider it suitable for uses where .44 Magnum would suffice.

Obviously, if you are running a Ruger setup, .44 Magnum can become much more versatile and powerful than 10mm with the aid of Underwood ammo.

Since the Underwood 10mm comes close to factory "big name" .44 Magnum, I consider it suitable for uses where .44 Magnum would suffice.

I agree about the 10mm's potential as a tool for heavy work!!

.44 Magnum can become much more versatile and powerful than 10mm with the aid of Underwood ammo.

More powerful? Yes. More versatile? Not so sure.

Whilst top-end values may not be the same, everything I've read tells me that the 10mm is to semi-auto versatiity what the .44Mag is the revolver versatility.
There is a veritable plethora of bullets and bullet weights for the 10mm.

If it were sold here I might well be sold myself.

In this respect I can well imagine the OP would be brilliantly served by choosing 10mm Auto as a basis for selecting a new gun.

I had thought a Super Redhawk (but with a longer barrel), but decided that I wouldn't shoot it enough to justify buying one. That is a lot of power and expense that I don't necessarily need. I already have a 1911 and really enjoy it, so off your list I would go for the Sig P220. I have shot one and really liked it. It is still on my To Buy list. I don't personally care much for Glock but then I am not the one buying it. As Bob suggested A Ruger Blackhawk might fill the bill. A couple of things I try to consider are 1. Cost and availability of ammo and 2. How much am I planning on shooting. Also consider the purpose of the gun. Good luck on a decision.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

1. I do not reload. (I would like to learn how to one day, but I do not currently)

2. It is mainly going to be used as a range gun. I might occasionally take it with me if I go camping/hunting. Right now I take my P2000 with the .357sig barrel. With me living in North Texas the only use for it is 2 legged varmint. I do not hunt with hand guns. I use a .308 for deer/hog, and my shotgun for dove/duck.

3. I am a pretty big guy 6'6 280lbs so recoil doesn't usually bother me so not scared of the short barrel on the redhawk. Not interested in a single action revolver right now. I love the look, but would rather go a different route today.

My edc is handled for now. I carry my glock26 90% of the time. If clothes do not allow that then my bodyguard or nano. In colder weather I will switch to my p226 or P2000.

The main use of this gun is a fun gun. Either something "pretty" 1911 or something with some boom 10mm or .44

My vote/recommendation would be a 1911 in 45ACP.

Great platform, fun to shoot and everyone should have at least one 1911 in his/her collection.

The main use of this gun is a fun gun. Either something "pretty" 1911 or something with some boom...

If you really want something fun, different, and with a lot of boom, get yourself an XVR. It's a blast to shoot. It's flat-shooting, nicely balanced, and extremely accurate. There's no game too large if you want to hunt with it too.

Bud's has quite a few Colt 1911s under $1,000. Here's one I'd like to have:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...d/36100/Colt+O1980XSE+XSE+Series+8+1+45ACP+5"

36100_1.jpg

Back